Returning player, pvp questions.

Nickyfazzo

Hello, I decided to give the game another shot after losing interest after launch. I have 2 level 55's my preferred character being my Sorcerer. I got to Value level 76 in my time playing and did enjoy PvP. That being said, what the heck happened to Sorcs? I used to be pretty dam good and even one of the best on my server but now I just constantly get face rolled. To the point where I feel like I don't even really have a fighting chance (ESPECIALLY WITH MAURADERS) ! I'm getting really frustrated with the game and keep hoping that the next piece of PvP gear is going to make it better, but over and over I find myself getting completely dismantled withing seconds. Is it me or did Sorcs get seriously screwed?

I must have respecced my skills 10+ times trying to see maybe it's my build without much success. Any words of wisdom? I liked my Sorcerer, but now I feel like I'm near useless if I want to stay DPS.

Hello, I decided to give the game another shot after losing interest after launch. I have 2 level 55's my preferred character being my Sorcerer. I got to Value level 76 in my time playing and did enjoy PvP. That being said, what the heck happened to Sorcs? I used to be pretty dam good and even one of the best on my server but now I just constantly get face rolled. To the point where I feel like I don't even really have a fighting chance (ESPECIALLY WITH MAURADERS) ! I'm getting really frustrated with the game and keep hoping that the next piece of PvP gear is going to make it better, but over and over I find myself getting completely dismantled withing seconds. Is it me or did Sorcs get seriously screwed?

I must have respecced my skills 10+ times trying to see maybe it's my build without much success. Any words of wisdom? I liked my Sorcerer, but now I feel like I'm near useless if I want to stay DPS.

Spec madness and get gear. Use your slow on melee.

Edited by Puissant

Look at your gear, and see what your Expertise rating is. My guess would be that you left before the current Bolster system went into effect and you're wearing one of the older PvP gear sets. This happens pretty regularly and royally screw over returning players without their knowledge. The whole story of "I used to be good but now I can't touch people" is sadly fairly common and has everything to do with the bolster system.

If your expertise is anything other than 0 or 2018 when outside of warzones (I'm guessing you're in the low hundreds?), you have almost no chance of doing any damage nor of defending against any.

This thread (listed below) outlines the bolster system as it currently stands. Personally, I think it ought to be required reading for any player returning to the game after a sufficient absence:

How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

If you're on Pot5, feel free to hit me up (Rexorshan, most of the time, on Pub side). I'm not overly good at PvP, but I understand the bolster system well enough.

Sorcs are fine, check leaderboards.

You haven't played for months and want to kill them all in a day?

I like 2 specs:

ARENA DPS: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201G00zZ0cZcMfRsdkrfRR.3

Don't go to arena as healer, it's hard to be as good as operatives.

WARZONES DPS+HEAL: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GMMzdZZcMfRsdkrf0M.3

You can DPS a lot but you can also heal a LOT with bubbles/HOTs mostly when needed. Very useful for defending doors and for huttball.

Sorcs got nerfed pretty hard in 1.2 and its been up and down ever since. They are not terrible right now but they arn't super strong either. Personally I think they are in a decent place for the most part but could use some slight tweaking to QoL changes.

Overall though it sounds like gear is your main issue. Are you wearing the old PvP gear? If so you should stop wearing it. They redesigned bolster so wearing any pvp gear prior to war hero is going to have a negative result for you.