Can't equip a weapon on companion?

MizFazie

I just came back to playing after a few months away and my companions have lost most of their things and I can't give them a weapon. What's the point of having a companion if he can't fight by my side?

Are there any posts or articles that explain the companion thing?

Different companions use different types of weapons. Most can use either a blaster rifle or pistol, some require a specific type of melee weapon.

The good news is that now stats don't matter for the weapon, so if the companion needs one you don't have you can probably buy a cheap one on the GTN.

I just came back to playing after a few months away and my companions have lost most of their things and I can't give them a weapon. What's the point of having a companion if he can't fight by my side?

Are there any posts or articles that explain the companion thing?

Which companion? Do they "visibly" hold a weapon? Or are they like T7?

Companions are purely cosmetic now, and can only equip items that affect their appearance.

Armor slots are purely cosmetic now - you can still equip gear to them, but only to alter their look, they don't gain any stat benefits for it. Stats are determined purely by Influence (which replaced Affection) and Presence.

As for being unable to equip a weapon, check which companion you're trying to equip - a couple of them changed the type of weapon they used, like SCORPIO switching from a staff to a blaster rifle. You should be able to equip a weapon of the appropriate type.

The removal of companion gear was a bug that happened during the transition. You should have gotten a bunch of "Item Recovery" mails on your character that contained a copy of each companion's original set of gear, as well as any gear you had on them at the time of the switch. If you didn't get any of that mail, you need to contact Customer Service.

Hope some of this helped. :)

So the weapon in my inventory called "Jorgan's Assault Cannon" can no longer be used by Jorgan? Sheeesh! :sul_confused:

I feel the same way about SCORPIO's staff. :( Kept it for nostalgia in my cargo hold.

I'd say don't let the changes to companions drive you away, though, especially if you're a returning player. I was full of doom and gloom when they announced the changes, I'd already moved back to my main MMO, and figured I'd just do the KotFE story runthrough on one of my characters before getting sick of the new system. I actually wound up not having a problem with most of it, even the stuff I thought I would absolutely hate.

For SCORPIO I've found only the post Fallen Empire one has a rifle. My agent hasn't gone through the expansion and SCORPIO still has her staff. Haven't used her much as I've only done FPs lately but I'm fairly sure she hasn't glitched.

Which of course brings up questions of duplicates and if they can create two different sets for a companion, why are we still having weapon troubles?

For SCORPIO I've found only the post Fallen Empire one has a rifle. My agent hasn't gone through the expansion and SCORPIO still has her staff. Haven't used her much as I've only done FPs lately but I'm fairly sure she hasn't glitched.

Which of course brings up questions of duplicates and if they can create two different sets for a companion, why are we still having weapon troubles?

Agh, I want to test this now because I have an Agent who HASN'T gone through KOTFE and one who has, but the servers are down. I might check and post back because I think it's a question worth asking. I haven't checked pre-KOTFE Scorpio because I've been using primarily Vector and HK-51 with that character.

So the weapon in my inventory called "Jorgan's Assault Cannon" can no longer be used by Jorgan? Sheeesh! :sul_confused:

Yeah, while you were away, they actually made changes to the game...go figure! I'd have waited for you to return myself, but that's just me.

I'm trying to equip Jorgan's assault cannon weapon, it did come back to me in an email but now he can't use it. I have to say I'm really hating all these changes, might be time to find a new game :(

He's a former member of an elite sniper unit. It's a mystery to me why he was set up to use an HBG in the first place.

Armor slots are purely cosmetic now - you can still equip gear to them, but only to alter their look, they don't gain any stat benefits for it. Stats are determined purely by Influence (which replaced Affection) and Presence.

I am not so sure about this. I think you have to give them a weapon, otherwise they will perform a lot worse. The stats of the weapon simply don't matter, there is no difference between a weapon from a level 65 weapon from radiant crystals or the weapon they have when you get them.

I am not so sure about this. I think you have to give them a weapon, otherwise they will perform a lot worse. The stats of the weapon simply don't matter, there is no difference between a weapon from a level 65 weapon from radiant crystals or the weapon they have when you get them.

Er, yes, they do HAVE to have a weapon. I was referring to weapons and armor as separate, sorry.

You have to equip a weapon, or they can't use most of their abilities. I had that accidentally happen with T7 set to Healer, and all he could do was a very, very weak Progressive Kolto Scan. All his other healing abilities were grayed out. So you have to equip a weapon for them to be at all functional, but the stats of the weapon don't matter. You can toss a green Hutta or Tython drop on them and it won't matter in terms of output, as long as it's there.

I think the stupidest thing of this whole companion weapon debocle it if your companion now uses a tech blade / staff or electro blade. You can no longer buy them anywhere in the game and if you don't have a crafter that used to be able to make them then your S.O.L.

What's really dumb is the amount of humanoid melee NPCs of any kind, (be they companion or hostile) that exist in this game that aren't Force users. Tech staff/electrostaff, whatever, that really shouldn't be a thing. Jedi/Sith and certain droids may laugh at projectiles but what's everyone else's excuse? Edited by CrutchCricket