Companion customizations in KOTFE?

MrArrogant

Maybe minor spoilers? I know there's a time jump so if they're wearing different clothes I guess that makes sense and isn't a big deal. I guess I was more curious about the customizations? If their faces are getting reset to their defaults maybe I should just stick with the original looks for my companions on my initial class story playthroughs?

Maybe minor spoilers? I know there's a time jump so if they're wearing different clothes I guess that makes sense and isn't a big deal. I guess I was more curious about the customizations? If their faces are getting reset to their defaults maybe I should just stick with the original looks for my companions on my initial class story playthroughs?

Spoiler:

Not only a time jump, after you start KOTFE, you will lose your original 5 companions as the plot demands it. They will eventually be back, but not all of them at once (currently I believe we have something like 13 out of all 40 of them back, and not every class gets them at the same rate as, for example, in the latest chapter we see the return of Kalyo who is an Imperial Agent companion, so everyone gets her, but of course only an Agent will have had a previous history with her).

When an old companion returns, they will be wearing new outfits, but once you recruit them, you should get the gear they were having on them as well, so you can immediately get their previous look. Now, I can't be 100 % sure for customizations because I play KOTFE only as a Sith Warrior, and the only one of my companions who is back so far is Pierce, and I hadn't given him a different customization. I did get the gear he had before, though, so I am pretty certain that you should get a customization as well if you had one equipped.

Thanks for the info. So it sounds like they'll appear with their default faces until re-recruited at which point you can recustomize them?

I like to record the class story cinematics and edit them into full videos with the whole story. I try to keep things consistent as possible so it might be weird to have the whole class arc with Companions looking one way then having them reset once you hit KOTFE. That's the main reason I was curious.

Once you've gone through the story to recruit the character do old companions continue to be involved in the story or do they just hang out in cinematics as passive observers like they did in non-class cinematics in the original game?

Thanks for the info. So it sounds like they'll appear with their default faces until re-recruited at which point you can recustomize them?

Default faces, new clothes.

I like to record the class story cinematics and edit them into full videos with the whole story. I try to keep things consistent as possible so it might be weird to have the whole class arc with Companions looking one way then having them reset once you hit KOTFE. That's the main reason I was curious.

It's not weird in terms of story - there is a time jump of 5 years, and in those 5 years the companions think your character is most likely dead. So it would make sense that they would move on with their lives and would have different outfits. It could probably be a bit strange with the customizations but what can I say other than 'suspension of disbelief'?

Once you've gone through the story to recruit the character do old companions continue to be involved in the story or do they just hang out in cinematics as passive observers like they did in non-class cinematics in the original game?

Depends. Some companions return as characters in the overall KOTFE story (Kalyo, SCORPIO) and are involved in the plot, others (Pierce, Qyzen etc.) are recruited via regular quests and although you can talk to them as you recruit them, they don't appear to be crucial to the KOTFE story and so far seem like the passive observers. It's probably something that would vary on a companion by companion base. I think that every character would have one or two companions that would be "important" and thus have a bigger role, and the rest would probably be just filler, but there is no way to be sure until more chapters come out and more companions come back.

All of my old companions who I have recruited again were all wearing new gear and armor, most of which I really like. As far as customizations go- T7 got back his customization for my JK, and Kaliyo appeared with her customization as well for my agent. For all the others, they had their default appearance.

Except for at the beginning, they reset to their default appearances. When I submitted a ticket, I was told this was a bug. But it appears to affect everyone.

When you say, "Except at the beginning," do you mean they initially show up with their customized faces in KOTFE? Perhaps before the time jump and then after they reappear they're back to their default appearances? If so, maybe it is a bug they'll maybe fix... one day...

It's not weird in terms of story - there is a time jump of 5 years, and in those 5 years the companions think your character is most likely dead. So it would make sense that they would move on with their lives and would have different outfits. It could probably be a bit strange with the customizations but what can I say other than 'suspension of disbelief'?.

The new oufits don't bug me. I was just curious about that. I would hope after being gone five years they could start picking out their own clothes. I just wish the faces/customizations would be consistent with the way they looked previously.

Depends. Some companions return as characters in the overall KOTFE story (Kalyo, SCORPIO) and are involved in the plot, others (Pierce, Qyzen etc.) are recruited via regular quests and although you can talk to them as you recruit them, they don't appear to be crucial to the KOTFE story and so far seem like the passive observers. It's probably something that would vary on a companion by companion base. I think that every character would have one or two companions that would be "important" and thus have a bigger role, and the rest would probably be just filler, but there is no way to be sure until more chapters come out and more companions come back.

I know Kaliyo came back in this latest chapter, but I wonder how involved the returning companions will be in the main storyline going forward? I guess since this is the first chapter after the initial launch it's too soon to tell. My impression/guess was that they'd sort of "star" in one chapter then sort of get sidelined thereafter to keep down VO costs. If that's the case, it just makes it more annoying the one chapter you get to interact with them they don't have the faces you'd previously gotten used to.

Oh well, thanks for all of the info everyone!

When you say, "Except at the beginning," do you mean they initially show up with their customized faces in KOTFE? Perhaps before the time jump and then after they reappear they're back to their default appearances? If so, maybe it is a bug they'll maybe fix... one day...

Yes, exactly. When you see them briefly in the first two chapters, they are exactly how you left them. The ones that appear again though, they appear to be permanently in default skins during cutscenes. However, during gameplay they still have the correct customization gear. Which means they awkwardly change appearances between gameplay and cutscenes. HK-51 is one such example.

I haven't seen what happens with customized Kaliyo though.

Edited by OldVengeance

I had to go back and check screen shots, because I didn't really pay attention to this, but I can confirm that for my IA, Kaliyo kept her customization throughout KOTFE.

I compared vanilla screenshots to KOTFE screenshots, and she looks identical (except for the outfit). The picture of her in the teaser with the tatoos down her chin does not match my Kaliyo.

Yes, exactly. When you see them briefly in the first two chapters, they are exactly how you left them. The ones that appear again though, they appear to be permanently in default skins during cutscenes. However, during gameplay they still have the correct customization gear. Which means they awkwardly change appearances between gameplay and cutscenes. HK-51 is one such example.

I haven't seen what happens with customized Kaliyo though.

That's weird. So it's like they still have the customizations attributed to the character but just aren't displaying it in cinematics after they return. I thought maybe it was a case where they just mailed the old gear/customizations to you so they were no longer attached to the character. That does sound like more of a bug.

I had to go back and check screen shots, because I didn't really pay attention to this, but I can confirm that for my IA, Kaliyo kept her customization throughout KOTFE.

I compared vanilla screenshots to KOTFE screenshots, and she looks identical (except for the outfit). The picture of her in the teaser with the tatoos down her chin does not match my Kaliyo.

That's really interesting. So Kaliyo is showing up correctly according to her customization in cinematics in the newest chapter? So is this just fixed with Kaliyo or did they fix this for all the companions now? Has anyone ran through the beginning KOTFE chapters after this newest patch and seen whether companions now retain their customizations in cinematics?

Not that I don't believe you but would you mind posting those screenshots with Kaliyo customized in the new cinematics? I'm curious to see it.

Companion Customization is very important to me, so I checked every companion I got to test how it works. so far I can say that much (*MINOR SPOILERS*):

1) In Chpaters 1 and 2 you companions look just like you dressed them and their Customization works.

2) New companions (Lana, for example) show up always the same, you cannot change their armor at all, if you change their weapon, it will still look default in cutscenes (Lana will always have a red lightsaber, for example).

3) Kaliyo will keep her customization and it will work in cutscenes. I am not sure about the first cutscene with her (because when you meet her, she is not recruited yet), but after that Customization works perfect. She will get new gear, but you can change it if you want.

3) It seems like T7 also gets his Customization appear in cutscenes, though not in all of them. Haven't checked myself yet.

4) HK-51, Treek and SCORPIO Customizations DO NOT APPEAR in cutscenes so far. HK-51 has a default silver look and some ugly rifle, treek has her default look as well. But they do not appear often, and they might appear correctly in future chapters.

SCORPIO has her default look, the only time her customization worked was in one cutscene whe she was standing in the background, but then in the same cutscene she appeared without customization. It seems bioware forgot they had customizations for her. Again, they might fix it in the future. Or not. Bioware are always weird and unpredictable.

5) There are companions-recruits, they are ruturning companions who you dont get them in the main story, but with the side quests. You will meet them as NPCs first. While talking with them as NPCs they have new armor and default customization. After you get them back, they will have customization you gave them before KOTFE. But they did not make any appearence in the main story so far, so I cannot tell you if they would look correctly in the important cutscenes, or if they would be there at all.

• 2 weeks later...

That's really interesting. So Kaliyo is showing up correctly according to her customization in cinematics in the newest chapter? So is this just fixed with Kaliyo or did they fix this for all the companions now? Has anyone ran through the beginning KOTFE chapters after this newest patch and seen whether companions now retain their customizations in cinematics?

Not that I don't believe you but would you mind posting those screenshots with Kaliyo customized in the new cinematics? I'm curious to see it.

Ok here is me trying to upload images for the first time ever! http://imgur.com/a/ghCQw

In the first image you can see her in a cinematic with the customization, and the second image is before I recruited her. It's hard to make out, but if you look closely, it looks like she has the same customization there, right?