Missing Romances

turbomagnus

Is there a 'point of no return' or anything, beyond the ending of the character-specific storylines, for being able to romance companions; a point where if you select the wrong dialogue choice or anything you're locked out of the romance?

I accidently, during a conversation with Elara on one of my Troopers last night (beginning of Act Two, about influence level twenty or so, I think, if that helps), chose the 'Elara, you're flirting with me' option instead of either [Flirt] option and didn't get backed out in time before the conversation ended and now I'm concerned that I've lost Elara's romance on that character...

Edited by turbomagnus

Every romanceable class-companion has a "critical" [Flirt] offering that determines whether the romance continues. In some (e.g. Corso Riggs), it's really early in the story, while for others it's significantly later. Unfortunately, I don't know for sure where any of them are, except that Corso's is early early early, or even earlier, and I believe the critical one for Vette is when you go to Nar Shaddaa to meet her old crew (and, bizarrely, you flirt with her friend rather than her).

Really? Blast, that means I've probably missed Vette on a Sith Warrior, too, since I flirted with Vette instead of her friend... There's nothing with any list or guide to help with these anywhere? (All I've found is about gifts, not conversations...) Edited by turbomagnus

Really? Blast, that means I've probably missed Vette on a Sith Warrior, too, since I flirted with Vette instead of her friend... There's nothing with any list or guide to help with these anywhere? (All I've found is about gifts, not conversations...)

There isn't, as such, any guide like that, but in general the rule is that in companion class stories, if you want the romance, you should take a [Flirt] option any time one is offered(1)(2). (In some dialogue wheels, you'll get two [Flirt] options, e.g. both Risha and Akaavi in the male Smuggler story. I don't believe it matters which one you take.)

(1) And if you don't want to romance them, don't flirt with them, especially not with Corso. He has an undeserved reputation as a creepy guy, almost a stalker, who won't take "no" for an answer, whereas in fact the flow of the conversations clearly shows that the smugglerette is a heartless tease who only likes to play "hard to get". His "critical" [Flirt] is really early, as I said before, something like the first or second [Flirt] conversation.

(2) Even if the "target" of the flirt isn't the companion, as in the case of Vette's romance, but don't flirt with Vette's sister...

Then I should [Flirt] with them, even if it results in a '(companion you're trying to flirt with) disapproves' message too?

Pretty much, although I think there's only a couple of disapprovals, and both on the same companion. On Sith Warrior, Imperial Agent and Smuggler, as a male player character, you get two romance options (Vette / Dark Jaesa, Kaliyo / Raina Temple, or Risha / Akaavi) and there is some care required to avoid a big blow-up between the two of them(1), but apart from that, go for it 100% or not at all.

(1) There are, apparently some epic lines if you trigger the blow-up, especially between Risha and Akaavi.