An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Telepathy

Aurbere

"I was a natural receiver and transmitter of thoughts."- Jedi Master Saesee Tiin, Jedi Telepath

The use of telepathy is not an uncommon pratice among Jedi. Jedi are not capable of reading the minds of others, but they are capable of picking up on the emotions that others exhibit, mentally or through body language. Jedi who are related or share close Force bonds, such as Master and apprentice, are capable of exchanging short four or five word sentences, but few Jedi are capable of engaging in telepathic conversations.

Generally, Jedi use telepathy to pick up on states of minds or exchange silent communications. This talent is most useful in the moderation of peace negotiations or combat situations to read the thoughts and intentions of others. While Jedi rely upon comlinks to communicate across long distances, there are those who are capable of communicating over long distances. We see this applied in the relationship between Emperor Palpatine and Mara Jade.

Jedi Master Saesee Tiin is one of the most intriguing cases of a Jedi telepath. Master Tiin is an Iktotchi and Iktotchi are natural telepaths. Master Tiin's telepathic abilities are enhanced by the Force. As a padawan, Saesee Tiin was trained by Jedi Master Omo Bouri, who helped Tiin enhance his telepathic abilities. He was eventually capable of scanning dozens of thoughts at a time, sort through deceitful thoughts in search of the truth, communicate across space, protect his thoughts from others, and intercept any stray thoughts.

The use of telepathy has its drawbacks. During the execution of Order 66, several Jedi were killed because of an inability to pick up on the thoughts of their allies.

A large majority of Jedi are skilled in the use of telepathy, while others, like Master Tiin, are natural users of telepathy.

I hope you enjoyed our look at Telepathy. The next power is the Jedi Mind Trick. Our discussion will focus on one of the most proficient users of Mind Trick: Master Yarael Poof.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them below or PM me.

The use of telepathy has its drawbacks. During the execution of Order 66, several Jedi were killed because of an inability to pick up on the thoughts of their allies.

I think that also had to do with a couple other things.

Firstly, the clones followed orders without any great emotion - there was no hatred or shock as they got Order 66, they just raised their guns and fired. No time to register a threat for most of the Jedi. Yoda did sense it, but I think that was because the troopers near him asked for reinforcements against the Jedi Master. He might have sensed their hesitation to engage with insufficient force.

And most Jedi leading them probably blocked out their clone soldiers most of the time. When Luke encounters them in the Thrawn trilogy they cause a distinctly weird and somewhat unpleasant sensation when he tries to read them. Some effect of all those cloned bodies with almost-similar flash-taught minds just sets his teeth on edge. I'm sure anyone that has to stay close for any length of time would try to shut it out.

I think that also had to do with a couple other things.

Firstly, the clones followed orders without any great emotion - there was no hatred or shock as they got Order 66, they just raised their guns and fired. No time to register a threat for most of the Jedi. Yoda did sense it, but I think that was because the troopers near him asked for reinforcements against the Jedi Master. He might have sensed their hesitation to engage with insufficient force.

And most Jedi leading them probably blocked out their clone soldiers most of the time. When Luke encounters them in the Thrawn trilogy they cause a distinctly weird and somewhat unpleasant sensation when he tries to read them. Some effect of all those cloned bodies with almost-similar flash-taught minds just sets his teeth on edge. I'm sure anyone that has to stay close for any length of time would try to shut it out.

You are absolutely right. The Jedi were completely caught off-guard by this treachery. Their inability to sense their allies intentions was a major reason for Order 66's success, but another reason is that they didn't hesitate. They just followed orders, without emotion. Their Jedi commanders would have picked it up if they had shown any emotion at that time.

Yoda's survival is due to a few factors. First, his masterful precognitive abilities allowed him to see what was about to happen. Second, he sensed the deaths of several fallen Jedi. Jedi that wouldn't be so easily defeated in battle. He then connected the dots and got the clones before they could get him.