The Game Has Improved SIGNIFIGANTLY

WaveRun

Hello devs and fellow communal members.

I would just like to say that since the trainwreck Anthem was, SWTOR has beeen getting lots o love and the current direction is very promising, especially with new direction. TORtanic? NOPE! The best things are made out of a struggle and SWTOR has certainly been a struggle. I love the Dantooine and Ossus stories, and the fallen jedi was awesome. Remove crates now so I can play more than 2 toons and its back to being perfect. thx. :rak_01:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see GC/RC removed from this game, the all emcompassing rot that it is needs to excised so we are free to thrive once more.

As far as improvements are concerned? Jury is still out on that end. EA employees make sporadic appearances and promise better communication but then follow up with a period of silence, so take that for whatever it is worth. However FE and ET haven't exactly been the shining beacon for SWTOR, ET might have recovered the ball a little late in the day but FE wasn't what anyone wanted.

If this onslaught is anything like what we had through the vanilla storyline? then it would be a signifcant improvement indeed, however coming back to communication? it sort of cancels itself out, so at this point i don't really see where the improvement is right at this point in time.

Edited by Celise

EA employees make sporadic appearances and promise better communication but then follow up with a period of silence, so take that for whatever it is worth.

As predicted by many. What's funny is the staunch defenders that attacked me over that prediction haven't been seen since.

If this onslaught is anything like what we had through the vanilla storyline? then it would be a signifcant improvement indeed, however coming back to communication? it sort of cancels itself out, so at this point i don't really see where the improvement is right at this point in time.

Agreed. They wore out their welcome in my book. I have very low expectations for 6.0, if my sub even lasts that long. I guess I just ran out of ***** to give.

I'd love to see GC/RC removed from this game, the all emcompassing rot that it is needs to excised so we are free to thrive once more.

I feel that "some elaboration is required", as they say. How will removing GC/RC allow us to thrive? What, indeed, does "allow us to thrive" even mean?

I feel that "some elaboration is required", as they say. How will removing GC/RC allow us to thrive? What, indeed, does "allow us to thrive" even mean?

Seems some people have short memories and can't think for themselves back to pre-5.0 on what it was to be a f2p'er who could buy passes to join in and give everyone a chance to try all that content. I think i've given you enough of a hint, figure the rest for yourself.

Edited by Celise

Seems some people have short memories and can't think for themselves back to pre-5.0 on what it was to be a f2p'er who could buy passes to join in and give everyone a chance to try all that content.

What does being a f2p'er and/or buying passes for some things have to do with GC/RC? Some of this stuff may have been coincidental with the release of GC/RC, but in what way would removing GC automatically lead to any changes to f2p?

In 6.0 Galactic Renown won't be the primary means to acquire gear. It won't even be a secondary means to acquire gear. GR will be completely and totally ancillary. You can ignore it entirely if you like and still acquire BIS gear because direct drops and purchases with the new currency (Chuck Bucks, Charles Coins, or whatever they're going to be called) will be the primary means to acquire gear. Further, if the values for a GR level stay the same as what they were the last time I was on PTS (haven't been on since the recent update) then grinding out GR levels for gear boxes will be completely inefficient (it was something like 60k per level). At this point, with what we've been told about gearing in 6.0 and with what's on the PTS, the continued rants about Galactic Command sound fairly irrational. Everyone who hated GC, and hated that GC was the way to get gear, got their wish. Galactic Renown will not matter in 6.0.

What does being a f2p'er and/or buying passes for some things have to do with GC/RC? Some of this stuff may have been coincidental with the release of GC/RC, but in what way would removing GC automatically lead to any changes to f2p?

I know you enjoy being obtuse, but you should know this one. GC is for premium accounts aka subs. Which is also the reason they removed passes - so the only way to progress as a level 70 is to subscribe.

Edited by kodrac

I know you enjoy being obtuse, but you should know this one. GC is for premium accounts aka subs. Which is also the reason they removed passes - so the only way to progress as a level 70 is to subscribe.

Which does not change what JediQuaker said. GC still has nothing to do with the removal of the passes that were part of the game. GC and the removal just happen around/at the same time. They could easily bring the passes back, which would not mean GC or GR as it will become would need to be removed. I don't see the harm in bringing them back and not sure why BW removed them. If it was just to encourage more to sub then that did not happen, but really getting the first 50 (soon 60) levels free is more than fair. Passes or no passes.

I for one have no issue with GC at all and think it's far better than what was there before.

As for progressing at level 70 if dropping sub's (preferred as opposed to total f2p) This could do with looking at I agree but can see both sides to this argument.

BTW OP, if you look at the posting by a few who posted here you will see a barrage of negative posts by them on EVERY SINGLE TOPIC, so bare that in mind when reading them. Some comments are more than fair such as the promise of better communication then nothing! most are just negative for negative sake. Yes I too wonder why they still play the game.

Edited by KoriVash

In 6.0 Galactic Renown won't be the primary means to acquire gear. It won't even be a secondary means to acquire gear. GR will be completely and totally ancillary. You can ignore it entirely if you like and still acquire BIS gear because direct drops and purchases with the new currency (Chuck Bucks, Charles Coins, or whatever they're going to be called) will be the primary means to acquire gear. Further, if the values for a GR level stay the same as what they were the last time I was on PTS (haven't been on since the recent update) then grinding out GR levels for gear boxes will be completely inefficient (it was something like 60k per level). 0.

This is very sad. It will completely ruin the game for me. With Galactic Command i could play the game the way i wanted, including such modes as GSF that doesn't drop anything at all, and still recieve adequate gear.

Without Galactic Command in it's current state and form the game will become endless boring-to-death grindfest. It will pretty much kill the game for many current subscribers.

This is very sad. It will completely ruin the game for me. With Galactic Command i could play the game the way i wanted, including such modes as GSF that doesn't drop anything at all, and still recieve adequate gear.

Without Galactic Command in it's current state and form the game will become endless boring-to-death grindfest. It will pretty much kill the game for many current subscribers.

Isn't the entire point of Spoils of War to make all kinds of gameplay viable? It's not about removing GC, it's about making more ways to earn good gear.

Isn't the entire point of Spoils of War to make all kinds of gameplay viable? It's not about removing GC, it's about making more ways to earn good gear.

Exactly. Gear is going to drop everywhere and it's all going to be bound to legacy. They're turning this into a Monty Hall campaign.

Which does not change what JediQuaker said. GC still has nothing to do with the removal of the passes that were part of the game. GC and the removal just happen around/at the same time. They could easily bring the passes back, which would not mean GC or GR as it will become would need to be removed. I don't see the harm in bringing them back and not sure why BW removed them. If it was just to encourage more to sub then that did not happen, but really getting the first 50 (soon 60) levels free is more than fair. Passes or no passes.

Are you serious man? Of course the one had to do with the other. You think they make those kind of decisions in a vacuum?

The GC system was designed to force you to sub and make it an obnoxious inconvenience not to if you play end-game in any capacity (what little access you have to it). For example, by not allowing you to stack CXP consumables or boosters. I distinctly recall you can end up with an inventory full of CXP consumables you can't use because you aren't currently subbed.

GC has everything to do with the removal of passes. Think about it: They designed the system in such a way that if you could still use passes and NOT have access to GC, you'd be wasting your time with no way to progress and a clogged inventory. So no one would use them anyway. And if they kept passes and DID give you access to GC as preferred, then they wouldn't be able to pressure you to sub as easily and you could get pretty easily get the best end-game gear in the game as a preferred player without even using passes (just doing things like running heroics and dailies).

At best, they effectively forced their own hand in designing it the way they did and boxed themselves into a godawful system. Though far more likely is that they knew exactly what they were doing from the start and just underestimated how much backlash there would be.

You wanna know what a boring-to-death-grindfest was in 5.0??

Wait for it...

WAIT FOR IT....

It was Galactic Command, Ben The MMO Killa' 5.0 edition.

Where you did a 6 hours Master Uprising run with Cartel Market CXP Boost, just to get, wanna know how many CXP boxes/crates?

Wait......

......for it.....

NINE.

Nine freaking CXP crates for 6 hours of non stop CXP buffed runs.We did so many times the same Uprising in those 6 hours of non stop grind that ppl were starting to flip, go crazy.

But hey, we've got Charles, Muco's and Co. Ossus grind fest, just to remind us what a Korean MMO grind fest was.

Back in before 5.0 it was waaaayyy better. You wanna get PVE gear for HM OPS etc? Do some SM's, get crystals from that OPS to get gear and boom in a short while you were able to get your "starter pack" gear and work towards better one's.

Wanna PVP? Do some pvp, earn components from PVP, buy PVP gear at PVP vendor, easy.

Then RNG Ben happened with his "Exciting" GC that made like 50% of population just say "FU Ben" and left the game without any point of returning.

So no, removing GC will not as you say "kill the game for many subscribers", even if they remove it and they won't, us older players remember the better gear system this game had and still remember what a poopfest GC was when it came out.

As far as improvements are concerned? Jury is still out on that end. EA employees make sporadic appearances and promise better communication but then follow up with a period of silence, so take that for whatever it is worth. However FE and ET haven't exactly been the shining beacon for SWTOR, ET might have recovered the ball a little late in the day but FE wasn't what anyone wanted.

I'm one of those odd ducks that does not equate more "stuff" for f2p as a stronger game. In my opinion, the more reasons to subscribe, the better.

Had cause to pull up the Reddit AMA post and found this tidbit that will be of interest to those who hate GC and are concerned with how it impacted F2P players.

Question - "What restrictions are there going to be on acquiring gear for f2p / prefered players?"

Answer -

Most of the things we are talking about are in Onslaught so they would not be available for F2P (ex: Renown is at max level).

We are going to be improving how Preferred status players can get gear (who have access to Onslaught). We will be sharing those details as we get closer to launch.

I would just like to say that since the trainwreck Anthem was, SWTOR has beeen getting lots o love and the current direction is very promising, especially with new direction. TORtanic? NOPE! The best things are made out of a struggle and SWTOR has certainly been a struggle. I love the Dantooine and Ossus stories, and the fallen jedi was awesome.

Ossus happened before Anthem, so I don't really see the connection with Anthem. Dantooine is nice, but if you say it "significantly" improved the game, could you elaborate on how it did so?

Free to thrive once more? I assume the last 4 years were hell for you in this game. Being forced to play... the game? Or what did you do during the last 4 years? You're still here, so I guess your threshold of constriction hasn't been met yet?

However FE and ET haven't exactly been the shining beacon for SWTOR, ET might have recovered the ball a little late in the day but FE wasn't what anyone wanted.

Please only speak for yourself. I was very happy with FE and I would have loved it to get 3 expansions full of monthly story chapters. That was much more the game I would have wanted than anything that happened since 5.0. GotM and the Traitor arc dragged out for what, 1.5 years? That was not enjoyable. And ET was already lacking, because it was so obviously cut and rushed.

With that I agree.

As predicted by many. What's funny is the staunch defenders that attacked me over that prediction haven't been seen since.

I was thinking the same thing. This board has become very quiet and, well, boring. Where did everyone go? Anthem? ;)

Agreed. They wore out their welcome in my book. I have very low expectations for 6.0, if my sub even lasts that long. I guess I just ran out of ***** to give.

I can relate. I'll keep on subbing at this point. But my expectations are very low, especially regarding new content.

and:

Seems some people have short memories and can't think for themselves back to pre-5.0 on what it was to be a f2p'er who could buy passes to join in and give everyone a chance to try all that content. I think i've given you enough of a hint, figure the rest for yourself.

I don't remember "what it was to be a f2p'er". But not because of "short memories" or because I "can't think for [my]self". I NEVER was a F2P. This has always been a subscription-based game. Do I understand correctly that "allow us to thrive" means that you want F2P players to have more options in this game? Like buying passes again? Is that your argument against GC?

I for one have no issue with GC at all and think it's far better than what was there before.

I second that. I liked GC - as a concept - from the beginning. Just like the monthly chapters, it catered best to my personal playing style. However, the system wasn't properly fleshed out at the beginning. That criticism was valid and I myself spoke out my criticism back then. But they updated it and it has been a good system for a while.

What is wrong with keeping GC/RC in the game for the people who like it? From 6.0 onward it will be ONE way of progressing in this game. There are other ways. "Play as you want." Let me play RC and others can play OPs progression or whatever they like. Sounds fair to me. However, if RC will get nerfed to the ground, then I and others who have posted in this thread will be unhappy about it. I wait for Onslaught to start to see how it plays out before crying though.

If you have to ask, I'm not sure you qualify as a player

Toxic! :mad: But please, elaborate.

GC has everything to do with the removal of passes.

OK, so Celise's point was actually about F2P restrictions. I get it now, thanks.

So no, removing GC will not as you say "kill the game for many subscribers", even if they remove it and they won't, us older players remember the better gear system this game had and still remember what a poopfest GC was when it came out.

I, an older player, remember. And I remember that GC wasn't well fleshed out at the start. However, after they tweaked it, it became - to me - the best gearing system so far in this game. Mind you, opposite to some others in this thread, I only speak for myself. I particularly remember how much I disliked the gearing systems of the old days where I had to acquire different PvP and PvE sets separately and got crystals or sacks with tokens or whatever it was back then for doing group content that I didn't enjoy. That's why I barely ever got best gear. With GC, that changed for the better - again: for my playing style.

As this thread shows once again: opinions about it are split. And that's OK. I would just prefer if people stop speaking for others when they make their personal points. And kudos to BW for understanding that the opinion is split and the best idea is to cater to all factions as much as possible. Now fingers crossed that they get it done right. :)

Free to thrive once more? I assume the last 4 years were hell for you in this game. Being forced to play... the game? Or what did you do during the last 4 years? You're still here, so I guess your threshold of constriction hasn't been met yet?

Please only speak for yourself. I was very happy with FE and I would have loved it to get 3 expansions full of monthly story chapters. That was much more the game I would have wanted than anything that happened since 5.0. GotM and the Traitor arc dragged out for what, 1.5 years? That was not enjoyable. And ET was already lacking, because it was so obviously cut and rushed.

With that I agree.

I was thinking the same thing. This board has become very quiet and, well, boring. Where did everyone go? Anthem? ;)

I can relate. I'll keep on subbing at this point. But my expectations are very low, especially regarding new content.

and:

I don't remember "what it was to be a f2p'er". But not because of "short memories" or because I "can't think for [my]self". I NEVER was a F2P. This has always been a subscription-based game. Do I understand correctly that "allow us to thrive" means that you want F2P players to have more options in this game? Like buying passes again? Is that your argument against GC?

I second that. I liked GC - as a concept - from the beginning. Just like the monthly chapters, it catered best to my personal playing style. However, the system wasn't properly fleshed out at the beginning. That criticism was valid and I myself spoke out my criticism back then. But they updated it and it has been a good system for a while.

What is wrong with keeping GC/RC in the game for the people who like it? From 6.0 onward it will be ONE way of progressing in this game. There are other ways. "Play as you want." Let me play RC and others can play OPs progression or whatever they like. Sounds fair to me. However, if RC will get nerfed to the ground, then I and others who have posted in this thread will be unhappy about it. I wait for Onslaught to start to see how it plays out before crying though.

Toxic! :mad: But please, elaborate.

OK, so Celise's point was actually about F2P restrictions. I get it now, thanks.

Case and point about not using your head neither wanting to use it either. You are simply arguing because you want to. come back when you actually have a point to make, not because you feel you want to jump on a bandwagon.

Edited by Celise

SWTOR has beeen getting lots o love

Uh if you're talking about a game getting lots of love, I think you've mistaken SWTOR for ESO or FFXIV... because if you take a look at the SWTOR update history, I think it shows quite the opposite. This is objectively one of the least updated modern and active MMOs on the market bud.

Before SWTOR, I played SWG from 2004-2011 when it shut down, so I was mostly used to making my own content since that's the type of game SWG was, which I loved (It wasn't really until Rage of the Wookies and Trials of Obi-Wan that SWG got actual story content updates). Anyway, I've been here with SWTOR since the website and forums opened. If you look, I was the 6389th person to join the forums out of however many millions now. That doesn't mean anything on it's own I know, but I'm just trying to say I've literally been here and active since THE beginning with an active sub from launch to present day.

I say all that to say this: It wasn't until very recently (last few months) when I dove into ESO that I understood what ACTUAL content updates on a regular basis really are. There's a reason why ESO is one of the top MMOs going right now and SWTOR is nowhere close. It's because Zenimax is working their asses off pushing out compelling and thoughtful content while EAWare is going years without the amount of content to match even one ESO DLC (not even expansion... just DLC...). As I've said, I've been a loyal defender of SWTOR for years and years, but honestly, EAWare should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves with how bad other MMO companies with IPs that aren't even 25% as interesting or rich as Star Wars are wiping the floor with them.

TLDR: The phrase "is getting lots of love" and "SWTOR" are like water and oil.

Edited by XxHazenxX

As this thread shows once again: opinions about it are split. And that's OK. I would just prefer if people stop speaking for others when they make their personal points. And kudos to BW for understanding that the opinion is split and the best idea is to cater to all factions as much as possible. Now fingers crossed that they get it done right. :)

I doubt it's even close to split. Most of the people angry at GC just left. That's always going to skew anecdotal observations, since it's based off the people who remain and thus presumably are the least upset with, or like the most, the system they are dealing with.

As for the idea of GC lingering, I'm convinced it's only lingering as a supplemental system because EAWare is obsessed with lootboxes and shoving them on people. They've been ruthless in the past about trashing entire systems, some of which seemed to be pretty well liked. Yet they're hanging on to part of GC, seemingly one of the most unpopular systems this game has ever had? It's weird and I doubt it's in good faith trying to appeal to different players. Unless it's just the pop is so low at this point, they feel they have no choice but to pander to who remains.

If you have to ask, I'm not sure you qualify as a player

I always love this kind of thing. So, what exactly would qualify one to be a "player"? Being on board with every negative agenda posted? Kneeling to the "we know better than you what you enjoy" crowd? Guess I'm never going to be a player, and all my progression raiding, back when I gave a damn about it, doesn't mean anything. I used to solo FPs back before there were SMs to carry one through. It was fun, and challenging, and, I thought, made me a player. I guess not, because I'd have to ask what is meant by "allowing us to thrive" as well. I thought I was "thriving" pretty well, when I played.

Now I'm not thrilled with the F2P model, but, and this will really shock people like you, this model existed long before 5.0. "but they removed the passes" doesn't mean anything to me, if I'm playing, I'm subbed. I also love "nobody asked for it" being thrown around like someone actually polled the entirety of the player base to find out, instead of just pulling it out of their *** to support their hurt feelings, or whatever. My biggest complaint is the lack of speed in getting my comps back, which is why the vast majority of my alts haven't even started it, which, guess what, is "playing the way I want", and "thriving". I don't expect that to change either, so despite the hyperbole being thrown around by the nay sayers, I'm still going to be able to play how I want.

Uh if you're talking about a game getting lots of love, I think you've mistaken SWTOR for ESO or FFXIV... because if you take a look at the SWTOR update history, I think it shows quite the opposite. This is objectively one of the least updated modern and active MMOs on the market bud.

Before SWTOR, I played SWG from 2004-2011 when it shut down, so I was mostly used to making my own content since that's the type of game SWG was, which I loved (It wasn't really until Rage of the Wookies and Trials of Obi-Wan that SWG got actual story content updates). Anyway, I've been here with SWTOR since the website and forums opened. If you look, I was the 6389th person to join the forums out of however many millions now. That doesn't mean anything on it's own I know, but I'm just trying to say I've literally been here and active since THE beginning with an active sub from launch to present day.

I say all that to say this: It wasn't until very recently (last few months) when I dove into ESO that I understood what ACTUAL content updates on a regular basis really are. There's a reason why ESO is one of the top MMOs going right now and SWTOR is nowhere close. It's because Zenimax is working their asses off pushing out compelling and thoughtful content while EAWare is going years without the amount of content to match even one ESO DLC (not even expansion... just DLC...). As I've said, I've been a loyal defender of SWTOR for years and years, but honestly, EAWare should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves with how bad other MMO companies with IPs that aren't even 25% as interesting or rich as Star Wars are wiping the floor with them.

TLDR: The phrase "is getting lots of love" and "SWTOR" are like water and oil.

The issue is the core philosophy of BioWare - they are actually OK with people taking a break from the game and just coming back when there is new content. No joke - its their business model.

So unless they ever change that model and try to focus on retention, nothing is going to change. They are actually ok with how things are right now...

The issue is the core philosophy of BioWare - they are actually OK with people taking a break from the game and just coming back when there is new content. No joke - its their business model.

So unless they ever change that model and try to focus on retention, nothing is going to change. They are actually ok with how things are right now...

It's not just their business model, it's a fact of MMOs. I belonged to a multiple MMO guild; they would fire up one depending on content releases, consistently. There are progression raiding guilds that literally do this with every game they play, and they've been at it for longer than there's been a swtor to claim it's somehow some kind of failing with BioWare. By all means, trash 'em when they have it coming, but this? It's a common thing in MMOs, and anyone that's played more than one or two will know it.