Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

kabeone
03.04.2013 , 12:46 PM | #2841
Holy cow I actually managed to do a prompt on time.

Prompt: The Morning After
Featuring Remi and Crew because somethingsomething love the character and Scourge.
Spoilers for JK end game
Spoiler

Note
Spoiler

Story comments!

@Selentar I didn't think it was lame, I actually liked the parallel, but I'm always left with a strange feeling of "what the heck?" when someone drops a bomb like that and walks away. As to the philosophical discussion with Ashara, brilliant! I agree with bright, a conversation like that would have been awesome, especially since my SI was an Occulus. Unfortunately, it always felt like Ashara conversations ended with her saying "I'm a Jedi if I believe I am, wheeeeeee."

@bright
Dear Corso,

Like any good contract, the only term of a relationship that you get to dictate is where you say "No" and walk away, everything else must be negotiated.

Platonic Hugs and Kisses and a dirty kick if you don't act right,
-Captain Nosc

I love Nic. She's a woman after my Nosc's heart. She totally would have gone for a fling, the man is kind of cute until he opens his mouth.

@iamthehoyden Remi twin! I like her, a good-hearted (at least at first) BH, possibly on a slide to cynicism? I hope for more of her, hopefully slowly enough for me to finish the bloody BH story. I will get through Hoth though, I just met Blizz!

Magdalane
03.04.2013 , 01:07 PM | #2842
Finally a day off to catch up on the reading!

@irishfino, of all your characters I enjoy reading Ald's story most. Since I've not played a SW, and Ald is so different from most you read about, he's fun. Not sure about Vette.

@Selentar, love the juxtaposition of Jedi and Sith in the Xania/Ashara piece-- and we really need more SI stories in here

@Mrtwo, welcome! Everyone here knows I'm a math n00b, but I did enjoy your piece. Please understand if I have to ask for clarification of mathematical concepts

@Bright, your Nic/Corso story was so dead on. I do believe Corso can be easily manipulated early in the relationship, his feelings are new and overwhelming to him, and he would so want to clarify things. He'll never understand Nic's position, he's just not wired that way.

@Hoyden, already liking your bh. I hope to see much more of her in the future, and I never considered the carbonite man as art. Hmmm...

@Kabe, always love a Remi story, and getting the thoughts of each of the crew was very revealing.

Sorry if I missed anyone, but I've enjoyed all the stories and new writers! I'm now management at work, so the strange hours just got stranger, but know that I value this thread and use it at work for little escapes of pleasure during my work day
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

Tatile
03.04.2013 , 01:39 PM | #2843
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
The Morning After, taking the most direct interpretation with Nic and Corso. 500 words, no game spoilers.
Spoiler
Given what I know of your all-purpose dislike of Corso (the Companion), that was interesting. And "something positive"? Yes, I can understand someone's attempts to be endearing turning into the exact opposite.

Hoyden - nice approach It seems like most Bounty Hunters are either naturals or can logic-loop justification for what they do, Ajacksa appears to be neither. I'd very much like to see what becomes of her and how she ended up in the Great Hunt.

Kabe - that was very brief, but quite good I can't say much for the characters as my Sentinel is only level 24 (oh noes, spoilers!), but yay! More Lord Scourge and Remi.

Mrtwo
03.04.2013 , 03:23 PM | #2844
The Morning After, taking the most direct interpretation with Nic and Corso. 500 words, no game spoilers.
Spoiler

Spoiler
I liked reading this after your Vierce piece in the bar with Elara, it provided a nice contrast. I could see Corso trying to protect a lady getting prepositioned with his personality and attitude.
Don't judge a book by its cover.

iamthehoyden
03.04.2013 , 04:08 PM | #2845
Bright -
Vierce notes:
Spoiler
That is fricking awesome. Your friend wouldn't happen to be single would he? J/k lol But seriously, awesome.

Also, Nic and Corso - Interesting take on the relationship. I liked it, but I'm having trouble word-i-fying why

Mrtwo. Yes, I have decided I love Kouhun. What an awesome backstory. Looking forward to more

Fino, Ald calling Quinn a jerk is hilarious. Cute scene The one with Vette is all kinds of regret and bad decision making.

Magdalane - This is just so sweet. Sad too, for the past, but sweet in her determination that the future will be different.

Selentar - I loved this whole conversation, but this especially: “Well, you certainly are pretentious...” Wow this was great!

Kabe - I loved the way you did this! Also Rusk's "So that's what that feels like." had me completely cracking up. And yay for getting to Hoth and Blizz!!
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

iamthehoyden
03.04.2013 , 04:18 PM | #2846
Double posting cause apparently brain decides that it has ideas

Mirror, Mirror
The Ride In
Ajacksa - bh
no spoilers (timeline wise, set at beginning of Hutta)
Spoiler

Author's Note:
Spoiler
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

bright_ephemera
03.04.2013 , 07:31 PM | #2847
@iamthehoyden Someone actually caring about how sketchy the ship they've moved into is? I look forward to seeing what Ajacksa has to say about the rest of this line of business. And then the Reflections one! Nom nom nom.

@kabe Love. Love love. You give Doc the best lines. And Rusk's reflection was just...ouch, Rusk...and in short when you do write companions you write them spot on.

Corso is actually the NPC I've had the longest standing passionate relationship with. Quinn just had a lot more ambiguous, poorly or un-explained directions he could be taken in from a creative standpoint, so he ended up with more words.
Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 100+ authors to date. 2600+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
---(Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.)--- DELETA MALAVAI EST

bright_ephemera
03.04.2013 , 07:32 PM | #2848
The Morning After, starring Kirsk. Because…well, because. Vierce's POV, set shortly after Vierce leaves Kegled II for Republic space. No game spoilers. 400 words.

Spoiler

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 100+ authors to date. 2600+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
---(Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.)--- DELETA MALAVAI EST

Striges
03.04.2013 , 09:28 PM | #2849
Major reply backlog:

@ MrTwo: Empire is an appropriate power in this universe. Yes, as the canon BH he’ll have to work with the Empire, but there are missions where he won’t have to follow the “party line” so to speak. Powerful piece.

@ Irishfino: That’s a rather catty Vette. I find it a bit odd that Ald would agree to marry her under any kind of mostly sober conditions. Or any conditions really. I guess I never saw Vette as the psycho-girlfriend type (that would be Jaesa, usually).

@ Magdalane: Very sweet, both the reminiscence and Miriah’s current situation.

@ Selentar: another Jedi questioning everything, except with a Sith teacher. Makes me want to level my inquisitor; I haven’t seen Ashara yet.

@ Bright: I expect your take on Corso was about right. Once off his script, he’d be confused. I don’t think he’d take kindly to being just another fling. Even a repeatable fling. He and Nic just aren’t reading lines from the same play, and probably won’t ever agree on what play they will read together.

Kirsk. Oh dear. Yes, you do call Vierce because he will post bail before asking questions. Even when he should know better.

@ Hoyden: I like Ajacksa’s questioning her current path. That’s an interesting take on the BH story. I hope she finds her way. And the followup--even better. This is going to be a rough road. (and there are numerous problems with cybernetics and the body types beyond 2 of either gender. Congrats on incorporating the glitch into your character’s story instead of rerolling!)

@ Kabe: I like the differing views. Especially how similar everyone’s view seems to be: we’re done here. All but Remi, whose quite sure they’re not.

irishfino
03.04.2013 , 09:37 PM | #2850
@irishfino I am scared of angry!Vette. Ald, I want to beat you senseless.
On the bright side, he doesn't feel good about what he's doing. So... there's that...

Quote: Originally Posted by Magdalane View Post
@irishfino, of all your characters I enjoy reading Ald's story most. Since I've not played a SW, and Ald is so different from most you read about, he's fun. Not sure about Vette.
Ald is a fun one. He's rather silly on the outside, but, when it's time to get down to business, he can become quite serious.

As for Vette, there's a lot of her story that isn't shown in this thread. Heck, the main thread hasn't really touch on her side of things as much as I would like at this point. However, Ald does explain why Vette is acting so strangely. From his point of view, anyway.

Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Fino, Ald calling Quinn a jerk is hilarious. Cute scene The one with Vette is all kinds of regret and bad decision making.
Eeheeheee, Quinn is a jerk. And he's so smug about it. He totally deserved that pull into the tub. [snickers]

I feel bad for poor Vette. I need to get into her side of things in the main thread. It's rather interesting.

Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
@ Irishfino: That’s a rather catty Vette. I find it a bit odd that Ald would agree to marry her under any kind of mostly sober conditions. Or any conditions really. I guess I never saw Vette as the psycho-girlfriend type (that would be Jaesa, usually).
Vette has someone she has chased after and watched become romantically involved with someone else. She is definitely not about to let him go. Some of what she's doing is expanded upon in the main thread, but it's just a case of her coming into "possession" of something she has desired for a very long time.

As for Ald, after Quinn leaves, he becomes unbalanced. His personality shifts in very dangerous ways. He sort of reverts back to the uncivilized brute while he's obsessing over whether or not Quinn will return. Vette offers him much needed balance as he finishes his campaign on Corellia.

It's a really messed up balancing act.

I think I got everyone! [phew!] Thanks for reading!!
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!