Strongholds Need Some Serious Dev Attention

Raise the limit (or again remove it) just don't raise the number required for 100% completion. Simple, easy, everybody's happy.

Good idea. I don't like the idea of just slapping multiple "basic" decos around just to get to 100%, and ruining the "look" while at it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm worried that they won't fix the vendor icons they put on vendor decos on the PTS. If you didn't pop over there, mailboxes and vendors have flashing neon green signs over the top of them and they can't be turned off and persist even if you disable the interface. If they don't add in a way to turn those off I won't be able to take screenshots in many of my stronghold rooms without redecorating.

OMG that sounds like a bad 80's web page with flashing banners!

Please tell me someone posted a complaint about this in the PTS threads?

Also, why do they keep changing things that aren't broken while leaving things that are?

3) The devs really need to also work on something to make SH relative again...

Just like the changes made to Fleet on the PTS to make them more relative personal SHs also need to be made more relative for people to have and decorate. As it is NOW they are very much for personal use (of course they are) and decoration but after one gets the two achievements tied to visitors there isn't really incentive nor need outside of RP to visit a persons SH. It would be nice to be able to show off/showcase ones SH better and more often if one were so inclined. Obviously I would. The solution to this? I have none but perhaps something like a lottery system to get a winner placed on the galaxy map along with a weekly mission to go there would be the answer...

I have 3 things I'd like to see in this regard.

1. A visitor rating system so we can see which strongholds other people think are worth visiting. (And you can't vote on your own!) While not perfect, it would be better than basing things off of prestige or completion.

2. The ability to give keys to people who are off line. My Nar Shaddaa stronghold is pimped out with utility and I love being able to give keys to new players so they have a one stop shop for their needs, but I'm rarely on when the people who would like a key are. It would make life so much easier if I could send them a key that they can then accept when they next log on.

3. Let us gift at least one gold key for a personal stonghold. Professional decorators should be a thing and this would allow that. I want Lunafox to redo my strongholds damn it!

OMG that sounds like a bad 80's web page with flashing banners!

Please tell me someone posted a complaint about this in the PTS threads?

Also, why do they keep changing things that aren't broken while leaving things that are?

I did, but I think the devs. have me on ignore so I don't think it will do any good :p

Edited by Damask_Rose

I have 3 things I'd like to see in this regard.

1. Obviously, people in large guilds and/or with lots of friends would mostly benefit from this. It would rapidly become meaningless.

2. Just make your Stronghold public if you want people to see it. (I do wish there was a "guest book" or something that would show how many people have visited.)

3. I dunno. For someone to have a "gold" key to decorate your Stronghold would also mean they'd need access to your decos. Keeping them separate could be a problem. It would certainly require work I'd rather they put elsewhere. :)

Edited by JediQuaker

1. Obviously, people in large guilds and/or with lots of friends would mostly benefit from this. It would rapidly become meaningless.

2. Just make your Stronghold public if you want people to see it. (I do wish there was a "guest book" or something that would show how many people have visited.)

3. I dunno. For someone to have a "gold" key to decorate your Stronghold would also mean they'd need access to your decos. Keeping them separate could be a problem. It would certainly require work I'd rather they put elsewhere. :)

1. Still better than what we have. What we have has been completely useless since day one.

2. Not really relevant to what I posted. My strongholds are public. If I'm not on people without keys can't access my strongholds. If they aren't on when I am, I can't give them a key.

3. Them having access my decos so they can decorate my stronghold is the whole point. No reason my decos would merge with theirs any more than Guild decos do. (And Bioware is constantly spending time and resources making totally pointless changes already. They are overly fond of change for change's sake. At least this would serve an actual purpose and make some people happy.)

1. Still better than what we have. What we have has been completely useless since day one.

2. Not really relevant to what I posted. My strongholds are public. If I'm not on people without keys can't access my strongholds. If they aren't on when I am, I can't give them a key.

3. Them having access my decos so they can decorate my stronghold is the whole point. No reason my decos would merge with theirs any more than Guild decos do. (And Bioware is constantly spending time and resources making totally pointless changes already. They are overly fond of change for change's sake. At least this would serve an actual purpose and make some people happy.)

Just a thought.. on #3.

Instead of a "Gold" key... a different color or type. Maybe "Diamond" or "Crystal" . That way you assign a value (from a programming stand point of view) ... of moving things not "picking them up". Right now as it stands if a player "picks up" a piece that is displayed it automatically goes to your SH inventory. So by assigning a different value to the key name .... it might become more "feasible" to allow someone else to come in and move around or even have limited access to your inventory to add or take away from the current display of a particular SH location. It should also be noted that while they would have ACCESS to said inventory .. they can NOT transfer OWNERSHIP of any inventory items from one player to another.

Umm... I hope this makes sense !

Just a thought.. on #3.

Instead of a "Gold" key... a different color or type. Maybe "Diamond" or "Crystal" . That way you assign a value (from a programming stand point of view) ... of moving things not "picking them up". Right now as it stands if a player "picks up" a piece that is displayed it automatically goes to your SH inventory. So by assigning a different value to the key name .... it might become more "feasible" to allow someone else to come in and move around or even have limited access to your inventory to add or take away from the current display of a particular SH location. It should also be noted that while they would have ACCESS to said inventory .. they can NOT transfer OWNERSHIP of any inventory items from one player to another.

Umm... I hope this makes sense !

That is how guild gold keys work. The guild retains all ownership of the assets, but the gold key holder has free rein to decorate the guild strongholds. I imagine all bound to account items already have account identifiers on them, so the game shouldn't get confused between two different accounts' assets.

That is how guild gold keys work. The guild retains all ownership of the assets, but the gold key holder has free rein to decorate the guild strongholds. I imagine all bound to account items already have account identifiers on them, so the game shouldn't get confused between two different accounts' assets.

Umm... OK that was what I sort of figured !

Let me ask a couple of questions for clarification:

1. Does the gold key holder need to be a part of the guild ?

2. Would this person who is being requested to do the decorating need to be connected to said guild.

I'm not being argumentative... just asking. It might very well be that the gold key is enough. On the other hand if the gold key is currently limited to a guild member... it might be easier to copy and paste the abilities of the gold key recipient into a "new key" for one person per guild or one person per SH to be allowed to have said "new key" for the expressed purpose of decorating.

That said... I'm good with whatever is decided... change it or not. I'm just throwing out a suggestion. If this is not something to mess with ... that's cool. I'm not going thermal on ya !

Regardless of how it's carried out I suppose that if you need someone for that role ... then I completely understand. The entire SH concept is one that a lot of players do take seriously. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I really need a "like" button for this post. All of your points are spot on, and many of the points made by others adding to the list are also completely valid. These issues are not just a case of "it would be nice to have this", but are very much a necessity in order to bring the QoL for strongholds up to at least an acceptable standard.

Thank you for this, and I hope the devs will actually take a look at it and take it to heart, and for once really listen to their player base.

Good idea. I don't like the idea of just slapping multiple "basic" decos around just to get to 100%, and ruining the "look" while at it.

Does furniture even matter? I thought you just had to unlock the rooms to your SH's for the bonus? Either way, I would never ruin the look of any of my SH's buy just placing chairs for a stupid bonus.

Umm... OK that was what I sort of figured !

Let me ask a couple of questions for clarification:

1. Does the gold key holder need to be a part of the guild ?

2. Would this person who is being requested to do the decorating need to be connected to said guild.

I'm not being argumentative... just asking. It might very well be that the gold key is enough. On the other hand if the gold key is currently limited to a guild member... it might be easier to copy and paste the abilities of the gold key recipient into a "new key" for one person per guild or one person per SH to be allowed to have said "new key" for the expressed purpose of decorating.

That said... I'm good with whatever is decided... change it or not. I'm just throwing out a suggestion. If this is not something to mess with ... that's cool. I'm not going thermal on ya !

Regardless of how it's carried out I suppose that if you need someone for that role ... then I completely understand. The entire SH concept is one that a lot of players do take seriously. Nothing wrong with that at all.

This is the way guild gold keys currently work: The leader of the guild can assign gold keys to guild members (I'm not sure how many.) The recipient of the gold key can decorate the guild stronghold and flagship. For example, when I asked Lunafox to decorate TorFashion's stronghold, I invited her into the guild and Exile gave her a gold key. The results are spectacular and far more creative than if I had decorated the stronghold. I just want the same functionality on an account level that a dead guild has.

I have that problem in some strongholds. Others, like Manaan, were a royal pain to get up to 100%.

I really wish they'd get rid of the Percent complete measurement on the Kiosks, allowing people to sort instead by Stronghold name, Prestige (assuming they fix that!), and maybe most recently visited.

If they want to sort by percentage, maybe it should be percentage unlocked, not decorated.

I would like it if the Coruscant, DK, and Yavin 4 strongholds had a slightly higher hook limit, but most of all the Guild Flagships need a higher base limit.

I have that problem in some strongholds. Others, like Manaan, were a royal pain to get up to 100%.

This^ to add to the problems I already mentioned about Manaan. To get mine to 100%, I'd have to add random (and ugly) basic decorations as due to the limits on many more suitable decorations and the poor choice/placing of hooks that are left for me to use. I'm considering picking up the whole of my Manaan SH and forgetting about it.

This^ to add to the problems I already mentioned about Manaan. To get mine to 100%, I'd have to add random (and ugly) basic decorations as due to the limits on many more suitable decorations and the poor choice/placing of hooks that are left for me to use. I'm considering picking up the whole of my Manaan SH and forgetting about it.

you can always put small decorations under larger ones, where they cannot be seen, to push it towards 100%

you can always put small decorations under larger ones, where they cannot be seen, to push it towards 100%

Now THAT is a GREAT idea! Wish I had thought of that when Mannan got an increase of hooks. Mine was perfectly fine, maybe already a bit full, but it was at 100% and I was glad it was done. Then, they increased the hook count and I think It dropped down to 88%. Took me forever to get it back up to 100% and now when I look at it, it feels like a hoarders paradise. It looks so overcrowded now. I really wish I thought about hiding deco's in larger ones. Would have saved me a bunch of time.

I did that. Every pet in my collection is hiding inside a wall or furniture on Manaan.

That was a serious pain and made decorating far less enjoyable.

I would have been fine if they had added more Flooring (rug) hooks, more hooks in the underwater spaces, and so forth. That way I could have added visible decorations without looking cluttered.

Edited by Xina_LA

I still say do away with the hooks and allow free reign decorations like we had on SWG. The decorating there was outstanding without the limitations we have now. I have always believed that when they added the hooks for decorating they made a mistake.

I understand why many games use the hook system. It prevents a lot of problems.

While I would prefer a hook-free system, if we have to keep the hooks, could they at least increase the movement beyond the +/-20 limit? If that's just too hard, could they add more hook options to the existing decorations? Just... something.

I still say do away with the hooks and allow free reign decorations like we had on SWG. The decorating there was outstanding without the limitations we have now. I have always believed that when they added the hooks for decorating they made a mistake.

As much as I love SWG's approach to player housing and force shui, Swtor's servers would explode when trying to generate all those items in a stronghold.

As much as I love SWG's approach to player housing and force shui, Swtor's servers would explode when trying to generate all those items in a stronghold.

More likely but I do wish for once I was able to place a fountain upside down on a ceiling hook where I could actually make a proper shower like I did on SWG. If they going to use hooks, can be please be able to put what we want in the hooks, and turn them upside down or something so I can finally create my shower p.

More likely but I do wish for once I was able to place a fountain upside down on a ceiling hook where I could actually make a proper shower like I did on SWG. If they going to use hooks, can be please be able to put what we want in the hooks, and turn them upside down or something so I can finally create my shower p.

I love that idea, they do have a fountain that goes on a wall though (can't remember which one), but with the new walls, etc, you'd be able to make a walk in shower type of thing. Might have to try that out :)

Personally I wish they would take more care with the hook placements. They aren't consistent so you might have 4 hooks on one side and three on the other. Or they are placed so that you can never let a decoration line up against a wall because it's placed too far away from the wall. Or there are the wrong hook types. All of that I wish they would do something about. Manaan, though beautiful is the absolute worst in that. Also the side rooms on the bottom floor have no proper light fixture either and I MUCH rather have a number of large hooks than those stupid centerpiece ones that limit so much what you can do there. Also the floor hooks on the side instead of the middle. Or on the main floor outside leading up to the entrance you have two rows of small floor hooks. Why not medium narrow so you can choose and have more options? Things like that. All the strongholds have such issues where you can see that the hook placement is done by someone who either has no clue what's needed for people.

As a sidenote I also hate the hooks that float above the floor so that your decorations also float above the floor.

A second main issue is the lack of variation in colors of decorations. Take for example the luxury carpets. The blue you can craft. The red you have to get with certificates. That's annoying but ok, they exist at least. But what about white, black, green, yellow? They only green ones are the corellian ones that are faded green and not a warm or bright green. There really should be some basic things like carpets, wall drapes and lights in a variety of colors so that you can more easily give your stronghold a color scheme that actually works well.

It just takes part of the fun out of it.

Lastly, the GTN prices on decorations and availability. There are so many that were sold via the CM and their availability is terrible. And because of that they are overpriced but also you can never get as many as you would need.

Those are three issues that really can keep you from really enjoying the experience but if you ask me which to fix first, it's gotta be the hook placement. It's just so frustrating. My Manaan is nearing completion now and it's going to be about 60% filled. More would be just too much, too crowded. Hook placement is a big part of that problem because I can't do the things I would like to there.