What roles SHOULD of a companion filled?

TalonVII

Ever get the feeling that sometimes a companion just seems OFF, or should of been something different.

Take Alric Jorgan. Guy talks about leading a sniper squad, but carts around an assault cannon? Guy should of been a sniper, or atleast carried a sniper rifle.

Risha. Sorry to me I'd of much rather seen HER as the medic, not guss.

Or Vector should of been a tank and come capable of using a shield.

Or Tanno Vik demo boy. Using a tech staff? Really? Why not give HIM the assault cannon?

Things of that nature.

Anybody else have characters that just didn't seem like they were in the right spot or right build for the game?

Edited by TalonVII

Your post reminded me of a funny fact about my SW: when she recruited Quinn on Balmorra, he listed all his skill to convince her to take him on her ship (pilot, strategist, deadly shot etc.).

That was quite a long list, but he NEVER said once that he was a medic and could heal... when that's all he really does in game :D

He actually described himself as a sniper when he's really more like an operative healer.

Edited by kalistea

Kaliyo is a bit of a strange tank, far too rogue-ish to be a punching bag, I agree with Vector being a more realistic tank.

In fact none of the healing companions make sense with the exception of Doctor Lokin for the IA and Doc for the JK. Otherwise it just seems that BioWare have made the dorkiest companion of each group the healer by default lol.

Edited by ZakMorgan

Kaliyo is a bit of a strange tank, far too rogue-ish to be a punching bag, I agree with Vector being a more realistic tank.

In fact none of the healing companions make sense with the exception of Doctor Lokin for the IA and Doc for the JK. Otherwise it just seems that BioWare have made the dorkiest companion of each group the healer by default lol.

:o Mako isn't the dorkiest.

I still think they screwed up PCs! My Agent uses a blaster pistol in every cutscene, but I can't use one in game? o.O

:o Mako isn't the dorkiest.

I still think they screwed up PCs! My Agent uses a blaster pistol in every cutscene, but I can't use one in game? o.O

The trooper keeps drawing a blaster pistol too. I think they borrowed Commander Shepard's Pistol of Doom from Mass Effect...

Sure Lokin seems obvious as a healer, as he's a doctor, but both my agents wouldn't trust him with their lifes if they had a choice.

He's still a crazy scientist who made weird experiments on himself, who's to say there is only kolto in those injections he makes? :eek:

I think my agents would rather have someone more trustworthy as a healer, like Vector or Ensign Temple, Lokin could be a melee dps or tank in his rakghoul form.

Ensign Temple would have made sense as healer, as it seems Bioware decided that any imperial officer you get in your crew could heal, (Talos Drellik, Malavai Quinn, Elara Dorne).

Edited by kalistea

• 2 weeks later...

They should have let you customize each companion the way you wanted to. Maybe I want to give Tanno an Assault Cannon.... Nope, all he can use is this funny stick.

The only limit I would have placed is Force users vs. non.

They should have let you customize each companion the way you wanted to. Maybe I want to give Tanno an Assault Cannon.... Nope, all he can use is this funny stick.

The only limit I would have placed is Force users vs. non.

This is an excellent suggestion. I don't want to be forced to use certain companions because of their pre-determined roles - e.g. my light side operative is stuck with Kaliyo and Scorpio as the only tanks, and they're both a psychotic as they come. Would be awesome if you could have 'kits' which allow you to change their roles.

I would have liked to see the different roles spaced apart better for certain classes. For example, the first two companions for Smugglers are Corso and Bowdaar, both tanks. You don't unlock a non-tank companion until you get Risha at the end of Act 1 (level ~30ish).

I would have liked to see the different roles spaced apart better for certain classes. For example, the first two companions for Smugglers are Corso and Bowdaar, both tanks. You don't unlock a non-tank companion until you get Risha at the end of Act 1 (level ~30ish).

yeah i heard that. or the fact you don't get a healer till the 40s with gus. Makes playing a gunslinger a TAD hard.

But yeah, it is VERY annoying to have your first couple of characters and you get tanks, and no dps or no tanks or what have you.

Best companion set up i've seen, was for the trooper, got Jorgan first, then you got dorne, then you get M1-4X.

You get dps, healer and tank first 3.

a healer. EVERYONE should have been a healer. stuck with malavai, mako, blah blah blah blah you get the point. i just wanna be a sith with my apprentise... or a jedi with her padawan... this is all i ask. and don't give me no hero story of "i never need heals derpherpderp" please. that's fine for you, but that's not the experience i'm getting T_T believe me, i wish it was.

a healer. EVERYONE should have been a healer. stuck with malavai, mako, blah blah blah blah you get the point. i just wanna be a sith with my apprentise... or a jedi with her padawan... this is all i ask. and don't give me no hero story of "i never need heals derpherpderp" please. that's fine for you, but that's not the experience i'm getting T_T believe me, i wish it was.

Problem is, unless you want to burn through med packs like crazy, or play a healer class yourself, certain companions just do not work with say a tank or DPS. You end up for game purposes being stuck with one companion.

On the other hand I do like what you are saying. Would be nice say as a sith lord, to have an apprentice of your own, or as a Jedi knight or master to have your own padawan to train. Granted as a JK you get Kira and she is handed over to "train" nominally, though IMO should of just made her a knight in her own right and just let you two be partners.

But again, would of been nice as a JK or JC to have a youngling to train as you go along.