The time line between trilogies dose not seem to fit....

JasonPogo

I was just watching the original trilogy today and things just don't add up. For one at the end of the new trilogy

Obi-Wan Kenobi is like one of the best jedi warriors in the whole galaxy. So much so that he defeats Anikin. But fast forward to the original trilogy which has to be like what 18 years later? He is an old man who is only a shadow of what he once was. How did he age SO much in just 18 years....

Also there is the Moffs that are talking to Vader in the first movie. They downplay the Force and act like it is an old religion that was all superstition... Now I know the Empire defeated the Jedi but even so those Moffs are old enough to have fought in the war and would know they were no pushovers and all superstition. They just talk like the Force had been gone for far longer than 18 years

Where did you get the time was only 18 years? But as to Obi-Wan looking so old, being in hiding, a shut in, plus also dealing with the fact that your being hunted and the fact all your jedi brethren are dead, plus stress will make anyone look old.

He got the "18 years" thing from the fact the RotS takes place 19 BBY.

Short answer for you OP is that stress of being hunted by the empire and the intensity from Tattooine's two suns rapidly increased the aging in Obi-Wans face and hair.

And to your other question: The amount of Imperial propaganda was extremely high in the Dark times. Many people eventually came to believe that the Force actually WAS just superstitious nonsense.

I was just watching the original trilogy today and things just don't add up. For one at the end of the new trilogy

Obi-Wan Kenobi is like one of the best jedi warriors in the whole galaxy. So much so that he defeats Anikin. But fast forward to the original trilogy which has to be like what 18 years later? He is an old man who is only a shadow of what he once was. How did he age SO much in just 18 years....

Also there is the Moffs that are talking to Vader in the first movie. They downplay the Force and act like it is an old religion that was all superstition... Now I know the Empire defeated the Jedi but even so those Moffs are old enough to have fought in the war and would know they were no pushovers and all superstition. They just talk like the Force had been gone for far longer than 18 years

Beat me to the punch. The ages don't add up. Obi Wan was probably 40 or so when he defeated Anakin on Mustafar. 20 years later, logically he should be 60. Instead, he's 75-80. As for the Moffs, it's an interesting point. They could just be ignorant with disturbing lacks of faith, but we'll never know.

as far as the people thinking the jedi were just myth and superstition you also have to remember in a galaxy with 20 million sapient species spread across millions of worlds there were still only 10,000 jedi during the time of the prequels so pretty much 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999 percent of the population never saw a jedi even when they were around... a lot of them thought the stories about jedi were just myths, stories and exaggerations even before the empire came and spouted propaganda and basically wiped all records of them from existence Edited by Liquidacid

Obi Wan was probably early 20's in Phantom Menace, Anakin Skywalker was like 9 years old.

Obi Wan would probaly have been late 20's to early 30's by the time of episode II.

Question is how long did the Clone Wars last, judging from how much Anakin seemed to have aged, I'd say 5 to 10 years. That could actually put Obi Wan into his 40's by the time of Episode III.

So we could be seeing Obi Wan in his 60s, bear in mind that it could simply be that Obi Wan's hair went grey early and he was younger than he looked.

Obi Wan was probably early 20's in Phantom Menace, Anakin Skywalker was like 9 years old.

Obi Wan would probaly have been late 20's to early 30's by the time of episode II.

Question is how long did the Clone Wars last, judging from how much Anakin seemed to have aged, I'd say 5 to 10 years. That could actually put Obi Wan into his 40's by the time of Episode III.

So we could be seeing Obi Wan in his 60s, bear in mind that it could simply be that Obi Wan's hair went grey early and he was younger than he looked.

according to lore he was 57 in ANH

he also lived as a hermit in a desert for 19 years... that environment isn't exactly conducive to keeping a youthful look

Edited by Liquidacid

according to lore he was 57 in ANH

he also lived as a hermit in a desert for 19 years... that environment isn't exactly conducive to keeping a youthful look

FWIW, Sir Alec Guinness was in his 60s when episodes 4-6 were filmed. (Born 2 April 1914.)

FWIW, Sir Alec Guinness was in his 60s when episodes 4-6 were filmed. (Born 2 April 1914.)

meh John Travolta was 24 and Olivia Newton John was 29 when they played teenage high school students in Grease... it's movies for ya

the kicker is Obi was supposed to be 57 in ANH and was all old and slow but in the EU Luke in now in his 60s and still doing triple backflips all over the place... Hell Han is in his 70s and still running around blasting people... Obi got a raw deal if you ask me... lol

Edited by Liquidacid

I think Obi-Wan mostly has to do with the film time. Star wars was made in 1977 and was the first film in the series. Lucas was still forming the story and what was going on. I don't think Obi-Wan being "slow" had anything to with his age or appearance (or probably even the actor); it had to do with the flim, filming style of the time, and technology. If you've seen the behind the scenes stuff, you can see how new and difficult it was for them to film the lightsaber scenes.

Look what they did to Chrisopher Lee for epsiode 2 and 3 and the improvements of lightsaber duels in general. Although they went way overboard with computer graphics, the point is, they made it all far more intense than the original 3 movies. I'm sure if the original films had been made in recent years, those duels would look different.

Edited by fatsweatshirt

According to wookiepedia, Obi was 57 years old in A New Hope.

When ANH was filmed, Alec Guinness was 63 years old (1977 the movie and he was born in 1914).

So it really is not that much of a difference between the 63 years old actor and the 57 years old character. So it is true that some people may look older than their age.

ROTS took place in 19 BBY, meaning that Obi was 38 years old.

When ROTS was filmed, Ewan McGregor was 34 years old at the time (2005 the movie and he was born in 1971).

Again, there is not much of a difference between the age of the actor and the age of the character.

Edited by cyberfreaq

The answer is painfully obvious. Lucas messed up and made Obi-Wan too young. But if you have to explain it from within the story then life on Tatooine is harsh and speeds up aging. Uncle Owen also looks really young in Episode 3 but in a New Hope he is really old so it supports the hard life speeds up aging theory.

The answer is painfully obvious. Lucas messed up and made Obi-Wan too young. But if you have to explain it from within the story then life on Tatooine is harsh and speeds up aging. Uncle Owen also looks really young in Episode 3 but in a New Hope he is really old so it supports the hard life speeds up aging theory.

If you read my post (2 posts above yours) you will see that there is a very small difference between the age of the character and the age of the actor.

The character of Obi-Wan in ANH was supposed to be 57 years old while the actor, Alec Guinness, was 63. So that is a 6 years difference between the character and the actor. Not a big deal at all.

Same goes for Ewan McGregor who was 34 in ROTS, while Obi-Wan was 38 at the time. Just a 4 years difference.

Moving on to Own Lars, he was 5 years older than Obi-Wan. Meaning that in AOTC he was supposed to be 43.

I agree that Joel Edgerton, the actor in AOTC, was too young for the character (28 years old).

Phil Brown was 61 years old when ANH was filmed and the character was supposed to be 62 years old. So in the original trilogy, the actor had almost the same age as the character.

However, in case of Obi-Wan Lucas actually found actors who were very close to the real ages of the characters.

Mind you that when ANH was filmed, there was no BBY, no ABY year numbering. Those are just EU elements which were added a long time after the movie was filmed. Same goes to the actual age of the characters in the original trilogy. Their age was never specified on-screen, just introduced by the EU literature.

Edited by cyberfreaq

Obi-Wan was, according to wookiepedia, born in 57 BBY. He was 39 at the time of Episode 3 (which was 18 BBY) and since Ep. 4 takes place in 0 BBY/ABY, he'd be 57 at the time of the movie. Combine that with living as a hermit for 18 years and I can see him looking his age.

Besides, wasn't Alec Guiness in his 50s during this movie?

According to wookiepedia, Obi was 57 years old in A New Hope.

When ANH was filmed, Alec Guinness was 63 years old (1977 the movie and he was born in 1914).

So it really is not that much of a difference between the 63 years old actor and the 57 years old character. So it is true that some people may look older than their age.

ROTS took place in 19 BBY, meaning that Obi was 38 years old.

When ROTS was filmed, Ewan McGregor was 34 years old at the time (2005 the movie and he was born in 1971).

Again, there is not much of a difference between the age of the actor and the age of the character.

Also remeber there wasnt a culture of cosmetic surgery in english film like now, Sir Guinness looked like a 63 year old actor did in those days.

Obi-Wan was, according to wookiepedia, born in 57 BBY. He was 39 at the time of Episode 3 (which was 18 BBY) and since Ep. 4 takes place in 0 BBY/ABY, he'd be 57 at the time of the movie. Combine that with living as a hermit for 18 years and I can see him looking his age.

Besides, wasn't Alec Guiness in his 50s during this movie?

19 years BBY not 18... how can you quote a source and post after multiple people who have posted the correct info and still get it wrong?

Edited by Liquidacid