Good Healers are hard to find

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems to be a common problem these days when it comes to operations. Finding good healers is more of a challenge then it should be. I have had to call off countless op's in the past because the healers couldn't do there job well.

If you have that much time on your hand to concentrate on what the healer is doing, you are the one not doing his/her job.

Been playing countless MMO's, been healing for ages. I am good, not perfect (nor do I want to be, its just a game, I am having fun). Seen too many players rush in headless to a fight, loosing and then blame everything on the poor healer trying to keep every silly little über-leet-roxxor-dude alive.

The healer gives you heals, not invincibility.

If I am healer and you are dying, believe me, you've had it coming ;)

You could have just said "I haven't played Guild Wars" and be done with it. SWTOR healing is a breeze compared to that ancient game.

actually. I have. still have it installed, though haven't logged into it for a very very long time (maybe I should uninstall it - thanks for reminding me)

if interesting mechanic for you is being stuck with 8 actively available skills no matter what? then to each their own I suppose.

and in the end? healing is STILL about refilling group's health bars. mechanics may differ, but at the core, thats what it is.

and in the end? healing is STILL about refilling group's health bars. mechanics may differ, but at the core, thats what it is.

That's what I said when I was making an argument about how easy healing in SWTOR is. You responded with grand tales of how it's actually engaging and proactive.

I'm glad we finally ended up in my corner of mindless pushing of red bars. Thank you.

This seems to be a common problem these days when it comes to operations. Finding good healers is more of a challenge then it should be. I have had to call off countless op's in the past because the healers couldn't do there job well.

Well i haven't been playing on my Commando healer for months before RoTHC and then after i didn't want to go run all the flashpoints to gear her and get comms. but i started playing her again recently and i am getting back to where i was as a healer just need to augment everything so my casts are faster

That's what I said when I was making an argument about how easy healing in SWTOR is.
Funny if healing is so easy in TOR, then why are people making thread about good healers being hard to find?

It is a game, of course it isn't that difficult, but healing isn't any easier/harder than dps. One you are filling red bars and the other you are emptying red bars. Along the way you do stuff to make other roles easier, get out of AoEs, dump aggro, use cooldowns, interrupt...Can't speak to tanking, but once I know a fight mechanics, healing or dps are equally easy, although I know I am a better healer than I am dps, so I find it slightly easier.

Edited by mikebevo

That's what I said when I was making an argument about how easy healing in SWTOR is. You responded with grand tales of how it's actually engaging and proactive.

I'm glad we finally ended up in my corner of mindless pushing of red bars. Thank you.

no. what I said is that if YOU are going to simplify it to this degree, that's how it works in your precious guild wars too. you refill other people's health bars. that's the goal.

what makes things interesting is HOW you get there, and in TOR it IS proactive and interesting. but "thank you" for twisting my words >_>

just like in every game healing is as easy as the other classes wanna make it.

Tanks wanna gear and spec correctly?

Everyone wanna move out of the hazards?

People wanna actually do deeps correctly and spec for it?

Beat rage timers hmmm?

Pick up/Kill adds especially weak/standard ones right away?

Then healing is easy breezy. And a healer has no excuse that healing is difficult or hard.

However as healers we don't always get what we want.

Yes you all are in the fire. **Facepalm**

No you are not supposed to taunt off the tank in Shiicho form. **facepalm**

Why am i getting stabbed over and over by these 3 mobs that it would take 1 smash from you guys to kill? seriously

**face meet palm**

Edited by Strixs

It's been said but to be honest healing is not entirely difficult in this game. Healers are typically the first to be blamed for a wipe even though the heals may not be the issue. It is easy to simply derp through a fight and have your healers pay the cost without noticing how much strain you're placing on them, it is more difficult to analyze why you are wiping and what the dps and tanks could be doing wrong.

My suggestion is to parse and see what's going on. It could also be that your healers are simply unaware of how much damage should be going out. Raptus, for instance, in the 3rd phase begins hitting with Driving Thrust which regularly pelts the tanks with 50K unmitigated damage on a regular 8-10 sec timer. Without knowing that your heals may just let a tank die because they felt the tank could take one more hit. Likewise your tanks may not know when and when not to hit their defensive cooldowns and which ones to use.

Agreed with the above poster. Healing is pretty easy in this game. That doesn't mean it's not your healers' fault. Make everyone get in Parsec, and check your numbers. TORParse has a pretty good tool for uploading logs after the fact as well.

Our average numbers for Nefra HM:

Tanks damage taken ~250k

Healers EHPS: ~2600-3300

DPS: ~2000-2300

DPS/Healers Damage taken: ~150k (100% from voice of the masters)

• 2 months later...
Glad I found this thread, albeit three months late. I'm a Level 55 Sith sorc/healer, and am tired of getting blamed for DPS/tank stupidity during Flashpoints/Ops. We can only do so much, and can't help them if they don't help themselves.

I've recently done Mandalorian Raiders three times, twice as DPS and once as healer. On the DPS runs the heals were somewhat lacking, but since I hadn't done it before, I thought it might just be a hard FP. Then I got it on my healer, and was surprised at how easy it was to heal. Especially the opposing faction strike force - no one thought to mention that the last two guys should be killed together, so we ended up killing them one by one, and yet survived. On a previous run with me as DPS we also did that and it was near-instant wipe as the third enemy fell. The final boss was also a complete wuss. Oh, and I've done relatively little healing in groups - I think less than ten occasions.

My first character was a Sorceror healer, following on from a long time healing in That Other Game. I've never really healed much in the way of ops though, not in TOR anyways. I used to heal raids in WoW, and was pretty good at it. Now I'm levelling up my second healer - a Scoundrel - and don't really anticipate many problems healing FPs, heroics, etc.

On the other hand, I do now also have two tanks, which is something I failed badly at while playing WoW. I like to think that I've got the hang of it though, and indeed, have now had compliments on my tanking FPs on my Trooper. My other tank is a Shadow tank, and it was with this character that I first attempted ops. Turns out my tanking is good enough for that, so I'm happy.

I could be up for playing a healer for operations, but the trouble with that is, when you get a reputation for being good at it, you lose the opportunity to take other characters along. One of the reasons I stopped healing in WoW was because I never got the chance to play other characters.

Healing in TOR is easy. Healing well, as with any other game, takes practise.

A simple set of rules that apply to most wipes:

• If the boss squashes the tank in a timely fashion, the tank probably isn't geared properly.
  • If the boss turns around and squashes a DPS, either the tank or the DPS aren't managing their aggro.
  • If the boss turns around and squashes the healer, the tank isn't managing their aggro and your DPS probably aren't pulling their weight.
  • If the boss is hitting half the group with a cleave, someone (likely the tank) is standing in the wrong place.
  • If the tank is slowly worn down but killed before the enrage, the healer isn't pulling their weight or your tank has a small problem.
  • If something wasn't cleansed, it's the healer's fault.
  • If someone dies for no apparent reason, they were probably stood in something and the healer could do nothing about it (being able to pull you out as a sage does not mean I should if you're perfectly capable of getting out yourself).
  • If you see your healer throwing out attacks, ask them whether they think they're DPS. (Seriously, it doesn't matter if you can do it with your top tier raiding group, if the PUG wipes the hammer -should- fall on you first.)
  • If the boss slaughters everyone after a while, your DPS need a stern talking to about enrage times.
  • If someone dies to a boss specific mechanic, was the fight explained if someone asked for it? If not it's your leader's fault, otherwise, it's their fault for not asking/not listening.

Out of this by no means fully comprehensive list, how many are the healer's fault? If they're standing in the right place, cleansing where needed and not DPSing then chances are they aren't the problem. This is, of course, assuming there's no gear problem.

Edited by I-Win-Button

On a previous run with me as DPS we also did that and it was near-instant wipe as the third enemy fell. The final boss was also a complete wuss. Oh, and I've done relatively little healing in groups - I think less than ten occasions.

On the strike force, it really depends on which one you kill 3rd. The merc /commando can usually be saved for last as long as people move out of his aoe quickly. But if the operative/scoundrel is left for last, he starts to do massive hits that are nearly one-shot kills. Of course the easiest is to kill them together.

For the last boss, it really depends on the tank. If the tank gets and keeps aggro on the turrets, the healing is trivial. If he lets them wail on the DPS or healer, it becomes interesting, especially due to healing pushback.

Duran'del here:

Honestly, I believe myself to be an average commando healer. People who have been in my group probably think I'm really good, but that's because commandos have the biggest lasting curve if the healers. I actually did a czerka labs without a wipe on the first boss, even with the two sents going under 30%-ish and an undergeared tank.

I also healed a lot in Campaign gear. In 55 HMs :p

[*]If you see your healer throwing out attacks, ask them whether they think they're DPS. (Seriously, it doesn't matter if you can do it with your top tier raiding group, if the PUG wipes the hammer -should- fall on you first.)

I sometimes do that with trash, but rarely with bosses, and only if my group is topped up. Tossing in a large AoE attack that disables all standard and weak enemies can make the fight considerably easier. I also stop if I see that the group needs constant attention due to poor aggro management or whatever.

Edited by DataBeaver

I sometimes do that with trash, but rarely with bosses, and only if my group is topped up. Tossing in a large AoE attack that disables all standard and weak enemies can make the fight considerably easier. I also stop if I see that the group needs constant attention due to poor aggro management or whatever.

Aye, it's mainly directed to those who let the group wipe because they're either too busy DPSing to heal when it becomes apparent it's needed or eat through all their resources so they can't heal effectively at all. If you can do it without the group wiping then go for it, I say.

I do the same on my healers if, after the first few mob packs, it seems that the rest of the group knows what they're doing and don't need constant attention. :)