Charging Subscribers for Content

Monoth

I was willing to look the other way with all the fluff items on the cartel shop, even tho I feel all of it should be obtainable within the game for subscribers.

But this is really disappointing..

During the livestream Q&A hosted before 1.4, it was mentioned that Cathar would be the first race available through Cartel Market. Will this be a Cartel Market exclusive or subscribers can unlock it via other means?

This will most likely be a Cartel Market exclusive. However, its price point will be reasonable, and subscribers wishing not to pay for it will have the option of storing up the Cartel Coins they earn for free through the Loyalty Program.

To me this is where the line between subscriber and F2P becomes fuzzy, We were ALWAYS told that subscribers would not have to pay for any content (with the exception of expansion packs) but now it seems if you want to play as a Cathar you will need to spend additional money as a subscriber to do so...

Also you know subscribers are not going to want to wait months to save up Cartel Coins to play a new race, so the statement they can wait and save up is a joke. If you want to lose your entire subscriber base Bioware keep doing stuff like this...

EDIT: BTW, this is just the beginning of the end, you know all future Warzones, Operations and Flashpoints will also be sold to subscribers on the Cartel Shop... So being a subscriber is starting to look like a rip-off....

Edited by Monoth

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a new race is no content. If the price is like the other race legacy unlocks, a subscriber will need two months to earn the needed cartel points.

In my opinion no need to be upset.

ANYTHING created for the game is Content PERIOD.... It's crazy how people try to justify Bioware ripping them off... And as I put in my Edit above, this is just the beginning you know Bioware is going to try and get subscribers to pay for new Flashpoints, Warzones and Operations in the future....

LMAO race isn't content.

Oh? Do tell ... what is your definition of content? Because it seems to me that the entire game is, by definition, just one big heaping pile of content. Though im sure you have your very own definition of what "content" means ... :rolleyes:

Didnt they say Makeb would probaly be sold seperately as well? Or did they retract that in my time away?

Edited by MasterKayote

ANYTHING created for the game is Content PERIOD.... It's crazy how people try to justify Bioware ripping them off... And as I put in my Edit above, this is just the beginning you know Bioware is going to try and get subscribers to pay for new Flashpoints, Warzones and Operations in the future....

By your logic, every single item on the cartel shop should be free for subscribers.

Cathar is no different than buying a set of gear on the shop. You are buying it for the looks. It does not affect gameplay at all, or give you an advantage over anyone else.

Bioware is not THAT dumb to charge for FP, WZ, ops for subscribers. You can take off your tinfoil hat. People said that they were going to charge for HK on the shop too...

Did you drop out of 1st grade or something? Go look up the definition of content and get back to me....

A race has a cosmetic value and (if you play a non-human Imperial) maybe a few dialogue differences. There's nothing to DO that's specific to a race in SWTOR. Theres no Miraluka race quest or Chiss race quest. Content is active.

Meh I don't consider a race as content...more like a cosmetic option like orange gear. I have no interest in unlocking Bozo the Cathar, but IIRC it's going to be neighborhood of one month's worth of CCs to unlock, so basically subscribers still get it "free" if you don't blow those coins on worthless gambling boxes that month.

I would be seriously annoyed if they charged us for Section X.

Probably will reduce the number of furry cybersex we'll see, so go on BW.

If only...

By your logic, every single item on the cartel shop should be free for subscribers.

Cathar is no different than buying a set of gear on the shop. You are buying it for the looks. It does not affect gameplay at all, or give you an advantage over anyone else.

Bioware is not THAT dumb to charge for FP, WZ, ops for subscribers. You can take off your tinfoil hat. People said that they were going to charge for HK on the shop too...

Bioware ORIGINAL stated that ALL content would be free to subscribers, since then they have been backing away from that statement... Now what there saying is all the content before F2P went live is free to subscribers but anything new were going to make you pay for...

If there going to make us pay for new content then they need to lower the subscription price. I'm starting to see why both founders of Bioware left, I think it became obvious to them EA was going to drag their company through the mud.

Might have to take my own advice I gave other players awhile back, if you don't like what there doing then you should quit....

Agreed. Everything can still qualify as "content" in the broad sense of the term, but subscribers get a monthly allotment of CCs, so we in truth have to buy nothing. If players cannot wait until they get the needed amount of CC for free, well that's on them and not BW.

Bioware ORIGINAL stated that ALL content would be free to subscribers,

And it is free because we continue to get free CCs. We never have to pay for one coin, unless we want to be greedy impatient pigs and get everything right away. Quite frankly, if everyone started saving up now, you should have more than enough CC available to unlock the Cathar by the time it goes live.

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

A race has a cosmetic value and (if you play a non-human Imperial) maybe a few dialogue differences. There's nothing to DO that's specific to a race in SWTOR. Theres no Miraluka race quest or Chiss race quest. Content is active.

LOOK UP THE DEFINATION OF CONTENT instead of making up your own...

It's not content from a gaming standpoint. It's a different character skin to run the same content that's already there. However, the dev said "most likely" so perhaps people could see how this plays out before letting it ruin their entire life.

Please, show us where that is stated, otherwise you need to stop putting words into their mouths.

5. Are there any content in the future (that are not part of a major expansion) that subscribers will have to make a purchase in the Cartel Market to gain access?

Damion Schubert: There will definitely be content that is only available for purchase

It's pretty obvious where there going, Bioware plans on pushing the envelope as far as they can on making subscribers pay for additional content.

This thread is essentially an arguement whether cosmetic stuff = content. Personally I don't think it is, but I understand if people really want the race and don't think it should have a cost.

However, this game has gone F2P and the Shop was added because this game hasn't earned enough money. Even though plus or minus 500k subs is a lot, this game was expensive to make and is expensive to build on. People want them to continue to build the class stories, that needs voice work from multiple languages and tons and tons of work accross 8 class stories with dozens of different NPCs for each.

As long as they don't charge 2000 CC for the race unlocks I won't join the rage quite yet. For now... grow SWTOR... grow...

You're digging into it a little bit much don't you think? You're over here getting mad because you're dreaming up BW charging extra for actual real in-game content in the future.

For starters a new race woold not be content as if the rest of the people in the thread wern't clear enough that you're standing alone raising that flag. That would be in the realm of fluff just like all of the other meaningless visual candy you get off the cartel market. Not including the fact even if you did consider it content, like was stated in the quote you get free cartel coins for subbing and that can be used to unlock with having to pay a cent extra. You wanting to blow through all of your free currency now on bags would be another matter.

LOOK UP THE DEFINATION OF CONTENT instead of making up your own...

this looks more like a useless complaining thread where the maker(as usual) is just flipping out like a 6 year old at every other opinion

Edited by TekAlcon