Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Involuntarily flagged for PvP as a 32 by a 50 on a PvE server.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Involuntarily flagged for PvP as a 32 by a 50 on a PvE server.

Syrellaris
01.23.2012 , 10:32 AM | #51
This is the way it works on pve servers. You used a Area of Effect attack and hit a pvp flagged enemy in the process. It wasn't the mob he attacked, no it was your attack hitting him. He tricked you, sure but in the end it is your fault. Simply should not have used a AOE.

The way it works on pve servers, in every MMO btw, is that You cannot become a pvp flagged person if you do not set yourself to it. However there are exceptions to that rule.

1) Entering a PvP area, were you become automatically flagged
2) Right clicking your avatar and setting the PvP flag on yourself.
3) Attacking an Enemy player that is PvP flagged.

You fall in catagory 3. Though luck.
Syrel Je'Gal
▬▬▬▬▬
HandsofDarkness▬▬▬▬▬
"Capture By Design, Kill By Necessity."
The Hands of Darkness: the first SW:TOR EU based Sith RP Guild

urborror
01.23.2012 , 10:34 AM | #52
I got drawn into a fight on Tatooine too. No idea what was going on, the enemy runs into a mob I'm fighting and suddenly I'm fighting them because my PvP flag is on.

Then I respawned and wiped the floor with them 1 on 1 several times. Then my PvP flag was still on and I got blindsided again fighting a mob. Stay classy, sith lords.

Pretty minor annoyance considering how rarely you run into other players, but still--bad design.

Hajizan
01.23.2012 , 10:39 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Multiple View Post
Boohoo, you probably lost more time mashing refresh on this thread than you did dying in game.
Yea, spend 10 minutes to get to quest objective, get involuntary flagged, killed, transported back to medical, wait 5 minutes for pvp status to wear off, just because some level 50 wants to grief someone on a Pve server and BW allows it to happen.

gravagehulk
01.23.2012 , 10:46 AM | #54
The trolls all love to jump on the "PvP happens" ban wagon. Most of these trolls are people who PvP all the time or have toons on PvP servers. They completely miss the point that people who play on a PVE server have NO DESIRE to PVP when they're questing.

These same trolls love to call you a "carebear" because you don't like to play the way they do. The simple fact is, the rejects who exploit this aren't skilled at all. It's not hard to kill someone who's questing when you're geared in PvP gear and they aren't expecting it. It's actually pretty pathetic. If you don't want a real PvP challenge, then go play against noobs who actually want to PvP with you.

The moral of the story is, Bioware failed here. It should not be possible to be involuntarily flagged like that. If you're going to give your player base a choice as to whether or not they want to PvP, you need to be consistent about it. Either they have a choice or they don't. It's the hallmark of lazy programming.

daemian
01.23.2012 , 10:50 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Syrellaris View Post
This is the way it works on pve servers. You used a Area of Effect attack and hit a pvp flagged enemy in the process. It wasn't the mob he attacked, no it was your attack hitting him. He tricked you, sure but in the end it is your fault. Simply should not have used a AOE.
Why should PVE players have to adapt their playstyle to accommodate PVP players on a PVE server? Isn't that why they chose a PVE server in the first place? It's a pointless, dated mechanic.

unclekaula
01.23.2012 , 10:54 AM | #56
I used to do this stuff in UO and Wow, tricking people to flag. It was pretty hilarious at the time. I agree its pretty lame to do on a PvE server though, but I'd hardly call it an exploit. Dont use AOE in those areas.

doublehelix
01.23.2012 , 10:56 AM | #57
bump because I want to see an official answer to this.

Rinkitink
01.23.2012 , 10:57 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by unclekaula View Post
I used to do this stuff in UO and Wow, tricking people to flag. It was pretty hilarious at the time. I agree its pretty lame to do on a PvE server though, but I'd hardly call it an exploit. Dont use AOE in those areas.
... every area in the entire game?

daemian
01.23.2012 , 10:57 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by unclekaula View Post
Dont use AOE in those areas.
Again, telling people to change the way they play to cater to PVP 'needs' on a PVE server is not the answer. Clearly the only people who support this are the ones who suck at PVP.

Bionixx
01.23.2012 , 10:58 AM | #60
Cry me a river. There are bigger issues at hand.
Something, something, something, dark side.
Something, something, something, complete.