Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Eyes

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

orangenkaiser
12.19.2017 , 05:33 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

There have been quite a few questions about what has been going on with eyes in SWTOR the past few updates. There are actually a few things going on and so here are some insights from our Senior Character Artist.

[A while back a change was made to our game engine that affected how reflections work on a global scale. As you’re likely aware, this caused eyes to accept too much reflection, creating a glass look (sparkly eyes). This was not a simple fix for the eyes as it wasn’t actually the art of the eyes themselves causing the issue. To adjust how the reflections looked I had to re-author all of their textures. Since I had to spend time fixing the eyes anyway I saw an opportunity to improve our system to allow for a larger variety of colors moving forward. These changes give us a lot more flexibility in creating more unique looking eyes such as closely achieving eyes with more depth and color variation similar to Vaylin’s or Arcann’s.

We fully understand the attachment to a characters eyes! There is a lot of thought put into our characters and the last thing we would want is for anyone to feel like we have taken something from them.

Now, regarding the dark brown eyes, we matched the colors to what we had as reference for pre-5.6. However, I recognize that some colors appeared darker than they actually were due to the amount of reflection that was in the eyes (the more reflection there is, the darker the colors become as it overwrites color information with environment reflection). We will choose one of the browns to darken to more closely match the dark brown option players had previously. In addition, we are double checking colors to make sure there aren’t any that are too far off from their original hue, if we find any that still need a slight hue tweak I will be making those adjustments. Though at this point they should be subtle, i.e., if something feels slightly too green or is not glowy / bright enough.

I would appreciate feedback on which brown should be darkened to help inform that decision. I would also like to invite your input on what new colors you would like to see in game. We will draw from your suggestions and see what we can do to make more options available.]

-eric
I don't know if this is possible, but could you guys look into having mixed eye color combinations? Like one Blue/one Green, One Brown/one Gray, etc.? I think it would be a cool character customization to have in game.
Snazzy Signature here

Plastic_Fork
12.19.2017 , 05:55 PM | #122
I would appreciate feedback on which brown should be darkened to help inform that decision. I would also like to invite your input on what new colors you would like to see in game. We will draw from your suggestions and see what we can do to make more options available.
Well, since the dark brown eyes we originally selected was #6, I would say might as well keep to that and adjust that particular one. The toons that we chose that number for dark brown already have it, so if nothing else it would avoid having to choose (or pay for) an eye color change.

Definitely appreciate the effort to adjust the colors back to what we've been used to for the last several years (I actually liked the high reflection glossy eyes) so we'll see how the tweaks go from here. I think the red Mirialan eyes, gold Mirialan eyes, Zabrak (Republic) yellow eyes, and Sith Pureblood pale eyes for sure still need to be tweaked.

As for additional colors, maybe some shades that are combinations of others. Like a purple that's a sort of bluish-purple. Or a nice sea green or turquoise. Or even a really nice, deep wine red without all the crazy Sith glow (the red Mirialan eyes were actually pretty similar before the update). Or some nice grays. Just putting some ideas out there.

Thanks again for the update and communication. You guys really don't know just how far that goes with the player base. It does with me, at any rate.

Sinapus
12.19.2017 , 07:15 PM | #123
Re: Brown eyes.

Going through various characters.

It's on human or cyborg characters. I don't have others to try.
Color #5 Is one shade of brown. It looks like it's been fixed, or at least the ones that had it that looked... wrong before the fix now look like they did before this eye change thing started.
Color #6 Looks like an orange-brown color and this is on a human male operative and a cyborg female scoundrel. Their eyes used to be a very deep dark brown and they still look a bit... off.

I'm sure other players can chime in on other color types, but you were asking about the brown eyes.
Maxim 37: There is no overkill, there is only "Open Fire" and "I Need to Reload."

Friend Referral Link.

iFenris
12.19.2017 , 07:59 PM | #124
So with this, can I request 5.6's 'Vibrant Blue eyes'? As I actually preferred them as they looked so close to Arcann and Senya's eye color from the expansions.
Edit: And maybe an update to skin?

MadDutchman
12.19.2017 , 08:26 PM | #125
I'd be happy with the dark side corruption eyes on all species
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

TrixxieTriss
12.19.2017 , 10:00 PM | #126

A while back a change was made to our game engine that affected how reflections work on a global scale. As you’re likely aware, this caused eyes to accept too much reflection, creating a glass look (sparkly eyes). This was not a simple fix for the eyes as it wasn’t actually the art of the eyes themselves causing the issue. To adjust how the reflections looked I had to re-author all of their textures.

This is what myself a few others have been trying to explain to our fellow players. When they changed the reflections, it also changed the skin and hair colours, but no one seems to care about those but me. Such a shame because my girls don’t look as hot as they used to be 😢

Estelindis
12.19.2017 , 10:11 PM | #127
here are some insights from our Senior Character Artist
Thanks a ton for sharing this.

I love the idea of eyes with a bunch of different colours in a single iris. We saw this to a certain extent in the 5.6 eyes, but the issue there was that it replaced our existing eyes that a lot of us didn't want to change in existing characters. But I'd be happy to see the changed eyes as separate, new options - and I'd like to see a bunch more like them. I'd especially like to see blue, green, and hazel eyes with flecks/threads of gold/brown, like this or this (maybe not so intensely/unrealistically saturated as these, but they convey the general idea).
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo > The Progenitor > Darth Malgus ||
Satisfying returns for class companions!
Especially companions of the long-neglected consular...
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion~~~

Nebdar
12.19.2017 , 10:20 PM | #128
Hey folks,

A while back a change was made to our game engine that affected how reflections work on a global scale....

Ahh thats why i have much larger lag in game... my old graphic card can't handle the new settings.
Thanks for info
Chancellor Keith has ordered construction of New Mega Servers. 5 servers to Rule them ALL. Rebels Beware!
We had our New Hope chapter in SWTOR development it seems now is the time for E(A)mpire Strikes Back or will there will be Return of The Jedi?

Xo-Lara
12.19.2017 , 10:57 PM | #129
Thank you for the explanation on the eyes. I definitely want my characters's eye back to their more customary dark brown, but I don't mind the way being paved for new colors. Please keep us apprised of the efforts to get eyes back to what they looked like.
If you like my stronghold threads such as this and this, please consider using my referral link. It will reward us both. Or you could post your support for one of my threads.
{Ξ(Θ)!!██████████████████

Everrgreen
12.20.2017 , 12:21 AM | #130
Thank you for asking. I was one of the few who liked the reflective eyes.
Here are some eye color ideas: https://imgur.com/a/JDmAT
edit: regarding the brown eyes question, iirc #5 was lighter brown and #6 was darker and now it appears reversed. On characters I use the #5 previously lighter brown, but am glad to have brown back regardless of shade. It would seem to me it would be best to try to return the eyes to their previous shade - #5 lighter brown, #6 darker so ppl could feel they don't need to switch if they still preferred the previous options, otherwise provide a free eye color change on the appearance modification station. I also appreciate the explanation for what happened with the eye changes.