Don't want to be "that guy".

Tarinax

Hey all, for the past few weeks we've had a new addition to our raid team. He's an awesome person, but not so much of a player. Now you ask 'How do you know that without combat logs?'. Well, we did KP last night and he kept disconnecting, so we decided to fill his spot with another guild mate. And it went SO much smoother, we usually see Bonethrasher and sometimes Karagga enrage with the new guy, but last night we didn't even come close to the enrage timers.

And before its the gear that is blamed, the new guy is in mostly Rakata, with a few Columi pieces. The guy we had last night is in Centurion and Champion pvp gear.

I know i'm going to have to say something as raid leader, just not sure what.

Any suggestions on how to let him know easy? Without sounding like an *** if all possible.

Thanks all!

Edited by Tarinax

Teach. Figure out what he's doing (wrong) and help him do it right.

This ^ No need to remove someone if they have the capacity to learn. You will be helping them grow as a player and in turn they will be a useful addition to your roster and maybe even a good companion.

Lag and disconnects will definitely affect dps. The previous poster reccommending teaching him may not be valid due to this.

Actually last night was the first we had this problem, it's due to the disconnects that we replaced him, and noticed the difference. Not to mention we downed NiM Soa last night, whereas we would get screwed by the enrage all the time with the new guy.

And to those above me saying to teach. I will do research and figure out what would be optimal, don't really want to shove a play style down is throat. I think honestly, what it may be is that he uses his own spec. And its a pretty bad hybrid spec, he's a sage, and i think he's 1/2 TK and 1/2 Balance, because i know he has both of the AoEs from the specs.

Actually last night was the first we had this problem, it's due to the disconnects that we replaced him, and noticed the difference. Not to mention we downed NiM Soa last night, whereas we would get screwed by the enrage all the time with the new guy.

And to those above me saying to teach. I will do research and figure out what would be optimal, don't really want to shove a play style down is throat. I think honestly, what it may be is that he uses his own spec. And its a pretty bad hybrid spec, he's a sage, and i think he's 1/2 TK and 1/2 Balance, because i know he has both of the AoEs from the specs.

Getting closer then.

If you don't know Sage DPS inside & out, you could research it or you could find someone who knows it. Either way, start from a position of knowledge and honest desire to have him contributing to the group as he needs to in order for the group to be successful.

In other words, your goal is to help him learn how to help the group.

If he's resistant to this approach, or doesn't want to learn, then he has an attitude problem and you boot him with a clear conscience. But odds are he really does want to contribute and he'll be interested in hearing advice.

Edited by DarthTHC

Our guild has masters. Yes, it is a jedi guild. Each AC has 3 masters. One for general RP, one for PVP, one for PVE/raids. When you choose your AC, you have to attend classes by these masters that go over different ways to get the best out of your toon. They research everything they possibly can about that AC and all the different specs. I know I have learned a lot from these classes. Why not implement this type of thing in your guild? Have the guy who does know how to play the class teach him?

I prefer teaching and learning over just outright kicking the guy. Maybe he just doesn't know.

Edited by Roccobb

/gkick

Just kidding, although if you were a serious raid guild then that would be the answer. Really I think you just have to be honest with him and tell him to work on his rotation.

Honesty if the best policy imo.

If he were a serious raid guild, /gkick would be the last option he'd consider.

Tell him what you suspect, and depending on what your guild is about and what your goals are, let him know what avenue you plan to take.

Your first course of action is to always get the player to play better. Alot of times its a simple thing they are doing wrong and the problem can be fixed immediately.

I really dont see the problem m8...

As others have said its just a rotation issue... nothing else. Ask for his specc and google rotations and simsalabim you got a whole other level of dps. Its the same in every damn MMO. Every specc has its optional dps rotation. Its kinda sad and boring knowing that everyone uses the same rotations but its just inevitable when you talk OPTIMUM.

The OP said that the guy is running a (in his eyes) strange spec. I personally dont know enough about sages to comment on that, but I doubt it's just a rotation issue.

You can try to convince him to play the different spec which is deemed "the best" (which might be true / false). If he's open to suggestions, keep talking to him. Let him explain why he deems his own spec better than the cookie-cutter spec. Keep him, but tell him the situation might change with 1.2 and combat logs.

If he's one of those guys "I know best - I dont copy other people just to be different" it depends on what your guilds goals are. If you prioritize progress - just kick him (after talking to him of course). It's not gonna work out. It's just better for both sides (he can find a guild which focuses less on progress, and you can find a player who does the opposite).

Edited by Zocat

"Hey, we've been talking about how we can be more effective, you interested? Like, I'm gonna start X and Y and then Z."

In fact it might not be a bad idea to make it sound like you mean it for the whole group so the player doesn't feel singled out.

boot him from your raid group

it's nice to have friends, but if one friend is causing trouble for a group of friends, it's time for that friend to do something else

Glad I'm not your friend, tbh i dont see that we will

what did you replace him with?

how can we assume he is at fault without knowing what the other dps came in is. was it a commando with another one inwhich thier buffs stack now? this in itself would make the replacements toons dps higher.

lag also plays a significant factor. you can have the right spec and rotation but if you' re playing with lag it can decrease it tremendously. not much can be done about this that doesnt involve pouring money into a new system. most of us cant afford a new system to just play one game.

i dont know much about sages but i do have a 50 inq. the two shouild be somewhat simuliar and a hybrid pve spec is the way to go. also i know that sage/inq dps tends to be the lessor of the three range dps classes. i raid with a smuggler.

most of this is mute if the relacement is another sage. then i would look at his rotation and ask about his frame rate. personally i think it is a lag issue if all things are equal.