I reached CR 300

SolarSaenz

Thanks to the "bug" about dailies awarding too much CXP, I finally reached CR 300 on one of my characters.

And oddly, it felt so unsatisfying, empty, and had thinking "That was it? Now what?"

I don't want to get on the treadmill and do the same again on any other character. Or for that matter, I don't feel like doing more dailies to keep earning tier 4 crates to have a complete set of purple or yellow/gold tier 4 gear much less a dps offset of tier 4 gear (my character is usually a tank in pvp, FPs, and ops).

"Achieving" CR 300 made me ask some questions, and I'm sure other players have already asked them too.

What's the point in getting on the CXP treadmill? it made me feel kinda like a hamster on its wheel. Working so hard, running so fast to go nowhere. Back in 1.x, I could do HM FPs and OPs in purple 140 gear at lv 50. Now, I can do the same FPs and Ops in a mix of purple 240s and gold 242 gear at lv 70. Does the new gear even have point?

Isn't it counter productive to have a game activity or goal make a player feel like NOT doing it? Shouldn't in game activities make me want to play more?

How long did the SWTOR staff/developers/designers/whatever envision it taking the "average" player to reach CR 300 when CXP/GC was first released in 5.0? Consider that many CXP buffs have been added to the game since 5.0. Did they think it would take non hardcore players a year or more and think people would be okay with that? I shudder to think how long it would have taken me to get 1 character to CR 300 WITHOUT the dalies "bug".

Who came up with the whole idea of CPX/GC/RNG? Was it 1 person, or was it a team effort? And, did no one in the BW studio at any point in the high level design or brainstorming or some point in the development process ever say "Hey, this idea of CPX/GC/RNG is garbage. Let's trash this idea." I find it hard to believe everyone inside the studio just thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. So, that means someone in BW just had a hard head and said "I don't care how bad this idea is. We're doing it no matter what!" Was it Ben Irving? Did he just ignore every single voice inside BW studio saying "CXP/GC is a bad idea. Don't do it"? Did a small team of people in charge just lock themselves in an echo chamber and convince themselves CXP/GC is a divine concept and fire or silence all other viewpoints?

In the immortal words of James Rofle's AVGN "What were they thinking?!".

What's neat about CR 300 is that crates become a small reward for playing the game. In addition to potentially getting gold 248s, you can stockpile 244-246 components for your alts. The other thing I like is that many of the items that drop can sell on the gtn at reasonably decent prices for a steady source of income. I know a lot of people hate command rank and the crates but it has some merit.

And I just got a Feirocian Cruiser, something I've wanted for quite some time now. Dropped from a command crate last night!

Edited by MingusPho

Thanks to the "bug" about dailies awarding too much CXP, I finally reached CR 300 on one of my characters.

And oddly, it felt so unsatisfying, empty, and had thinking "That was it? Now what?"

I had the exact same feeling and questions in my head when I dinged 300. I haven't done anything on my main since then (about 2 weeks ago or so).

i got my first toon to T3 level on Saturday. spent a lot of time yesterday getting boxes. i opened, what seemed like 22+ boxes or so. i dont really know what i was expecting, but after a little while i was disintegrating most of the items; lamenting on how a MK2 could be better than a Mk3 in two of three stats; and just thinking, "ok, when i get to 300 i can get that legacy thing and get 25% more cxp for my other toons cause T4 is really the only Tier that matters, now. During this, I spent another 40 or so PvP matches over the last two weeks remembering when i used to enjoy this activity and, now, wow...

ive spent too much time posting this morning. need to get back to work.

What's the point in getting on the CXP treadmill? it made me feel kinda like a hamster on its wheel. Working so hard, running so fast to go nowhere.

The sad reality is that without realizing it perhaps, you asked the question and answered it yourself right after.

The whole point is indeed to keep you hamstering along for as long as you can stand it.

I had the exact same feeling and questions in my head when I dinged 300. I haven't done anything on my main since then (about 2 weeks ago or so).

You reached the plateau. And you discovered the reason it's such a drawn out grind to begin with: there's nothing else to do.

What's neat about CR 300 is that crates become a small reward for playing the game. In addition to potentially getting gold 248s, you can stockpile 244-246 components for your alts. The other thing I like is that many of the items that drop can sell on the gtn at reasonably decent prices for a steady source of income. I know a lot of people hate command rank and the crates but it has some merit.

And I just got a Feirocian Cruiser, something I've wanted for quite some time now. Dropped from a command crate last night!

I think you're overlooking the fact that with the commendations system, you can gear alts as well. And, you get to choose which piece of gear you get. I think that is vastly superior than leaving it up to RNG. While I have gotten some purple and gold gear from the RNG boxes, for some reason, relics seem to drop more for me than any other slot for gear. Really. I can already have two 242 gold relics, and more will keep dropping. It's sad really.

What exactly are you selling on the GTN to get steady income? I really am curious because don't all the other subscriber players receive the same? You can't be talking about schematics or actual gear.

The answer that would make sense the most is companion gifts. But, me personally, I would want to keep those to gain more influence levels. You could sell those if all the companions you care about are already at influence rank 50.

Also, other drops from command crates (like the speeder you mentioned) could be reworked into drops during ops or HM FPs, which would make FPs start to feel rewarding again.

If you truly do like CXP/GC over the commendations system from 1.x - 3.x, that's fine. You can have that opinion; I won't hate you for it.

i experimented with taking the gear and putting the parts into legacy gear with either an intended result or a bug of sorts. after i pulled the parts out and put them in a legacy piece, i dropped them in my bank and pulled them on my other toon. i didnt get set bonus' from them until i pulled out the armoring and put it back into the piece. not an issue at all, mind you, but i will reserve the practice for when i get to T4 and start getting multiple pieces of gear either orange, purple or yellow.

i would still like to know why a Mk2 earpiece seems to give me more endurance/mastery, but a little less power than a Mk3 piece. implants are pretty much the same. from what i could find through research, having more mastery/endurance is better in the long run than having 54 extra power. does not matter if its blue or purple. just a bit, huh?

The only character i've reached 300 with is my jug tank. So how exactly do i gear alts when all the gear i get is for tank classes? And on a side note i've opened about 75 crates since 300 and got 1 piece of 248 gear, every crate had one of two relics in it every time for 74 crates i thought it was a bug bug nope RNG at its best.

The point of GC is to get you into progressively more challenging and rewarding content, while still giving you the option to slowly but easily progress if you choose to.

The daily bug basically enabled all those players who avoid doing challenging content to progress far easier than ever before. The upside is that old content was rejuvenated and these player types got to experience a fast pace of leveling. The downside is that it took away the feeling of achievement, as these players ended up not challenging themselves to progress at a faster rate.

Edited by Eli_Porter

The point of GC is to get you into progressively more challenging and rewarding content, while still giving you the option to slowly but easily progress if you choose to...

Progressively more challenging and rewarding content. You're joking right? The point of GC is to keep you on the treadmill longer. Full Stop. The content you run on that treadmill is meaningless.

I think you're overlooking the fact that with the commendations system, you can gear alts as well. And, you get to choose which piece of gear you get. I think that is vastly superior than leaving it up to RNG. While I have gotten some purple and gold gear from the RNG boxes, for some reason, relics seem to drop more for me than any other slot for gear. Really. I can already have two 242 gold relics, and more will keep dropping. It's sad really.

What exactly are you selling on the GTN to get steady income? I really am curious because don't all the other subscriber players receive the same? You can't be talking about schematics or actual gear.

The answer that would make sense the most is companion gifts. But, me personally, I would want to keep those to gain more influence levels. You could sell those if all the companions you care about are already at influence rank 50.

Also, other drops from command crates (like the speeder you mentioned) could be reworked into drops during ops or HM FPs, which would make FPs start to feel rewarding again.

If you truly do like CXP/GC over the commendations system from 1.x - 3.x, that's fine. You can have that opinion; I won't hate you for it.

I guess I misread the original post. If the argument is that commendations are better than cxp, then I agree with you. Seems I didn't understand that that's what we were talking about.

The only character i've reached 300 with is my jug tank. So how exactly do i gear alts when all the gear i get is for tank classes? And on a side note i've opened about 75 crates since 300 and got 1 piece of 248 gear, every crate had one of two relics in it every time for 74 crates i thought it was a bug bug nope RNG at its best.

You can open crates on your jugg with a DPS spec to get DPS mods for your alts, and/or gear your jugg's DPS spec.

The point of GC is to get you into progressively more challenging and rewarding content, while still giving you the option to slowly but easily progress if you choose to.

The daily bug basically enabled all those players who avoid doing challenging content to progress far easier than ever before. The upside is that old content was rejuvenated and these player types got to experience a fast pace of leveling. The downside is that it took away the feeling of achievement, as these players ended up not challenging themselves to progress at a faster rate.

That only makes sense if you couldn't do that content before, i could do taticals/veteran fine with 208 purple gear, i had no problem getting 216 gear on multiple toons, and for the most part it was vendor stuff so i did the content for the content and the possible set pieces were a bonus i didn't really need.

That's the problem with this system, 150 coms and you buy what you want, now you don't even have to be unlucky to go a whole tier without one slot dropping.

And let's keep in mind that GC improved a lot since it was introduced.

What's the point in getting on the CXP treadmill? it made me feel kinda like a hamster on its wheel. .

You've hit the nail right on the head. It's designed to keep you busy to make up for the lack of content. Now's a really good chance to finish up those odds and ends things you want to do.

Personally, if we don't get a level increase when we're supposed to...it's pretty much going to be the final nail in the coffin. :mad:

Edited by light_senshi

With or without the bug in a few of the dailies/weeklies I will/would have still made T4. I would still get box drops after that and i would still get that coveted yellow legendary or whatever they want to call it this year.. I could do all of that without ever stepping foot in anything more challenging than the Heroic on Tython. There is no challenge in GC unless your adversaries are Patience and Time.

I cant argue against the notion that folks like to take the path of least resistance, but the daily payouts does not ensure top end gear. GC, like most games, is and will always be a hamsterwheel with crispy nuggets for keeping the lights powered. You do A to get B to turn in for C which you then turn in for D then turn in for E. Eventually, they start at A, again, and you jump to the next wheel. Its not that the new wheel is any better, but its a different wheel and the numbers are bigger so it must be better...right? (sparkles, bazang, zing). /wave streamer.

Please, correct me if i am wrong. I actually want to be really wrong.

Congratulations. So now you've levelled to 70, and completed the grind to CR300, you now get to grind to gear that character or start the CXP grind on another character.

Satisfying isn't it, when you have all this new content to keep you occupied while doing this?

Edited by Transcendent

OP I am with you entirely. I climbed my way to the top of the CXP mountain only to look out and find there was no satisfying view from the top. I have 30 characters on one server...I'm not putting a single one more through this rubbish. I'll play them as an when I feel like it.... a few I will buy 246 gear off the gtn and make do with that.

2017 has been a poor year for this game. A game which I have loved and want to continue loving but Bioware give me something meaningful and exciting to do. I want reasons to play the 8 classes and to continue to subscribe. I am willing to give you every chance to take my money but I gotta have something.

Progressively more challenging and rewarding content. You're joking right? The point of GC is to keep you on the treadmill longer. Full Stop. The content you run on that treadmill is meaningless.

Hit it right on the nail, it's a way to get players to also stay longer and get some people to re-sub, which it did. Galactic Command still has to go away in my view, and you sure as hell don't need 242 or even 236 gear to do Hardmode or even Nightmare modes either. It's how skilled a player is that counts, because no 242's or 248's, fully geared will get a no brained person throught Hardmode and Nightmare/Master Ops and Flashpoints.

It is obvious, the all of our Generations, even mine from the 1950's will never be fully satisfied, but for so long, Though redoing a Class, a fresh character can help sometimes fill that void.