Chapter/Story Order/Timeline?

Jaiddyn

I'm trying to actually go through and do all the storylines in order on my Smuggler.

I believe this is the correct order:

Chapter 1-3

Illum

Makeb

The Dread Wars

Shadows of Revan (Rishi/Yavin)

Ziost

Knights of the Fallen Empire

Is that correct or am I missing one/got one in the wrong place? Since my Smuggler's rapidly becoming my favorite, I actually wanted to do all the little side-quests and stuff that I missed or just didn't bother with on my other characters.

If you're in a rush, the core single-players stuff is Ilum -> Makeb (Rise of the Hutt Cartel) -> Forged Alliances Flashpoints (you can select solo-mode for all of them) -> Rishi / Yavin (Shadow of Revan) -> Ziost -> Knights of the Fallen Empire.

Oricon can reasonably be considered a 'core' story arc too, set between Makeb and Forged Alliances, but be aware it requires running two Operations (Dread Fortress & Dread Palace) to complete the quest line (basically, it works as a stand-alone story even if you make it your character's only involvement in the Dread War - but for full effect of that storyline you'll want to do KP, EC, SecX, TfB, S&V and the Seeker Droid mission chain first).

If you want to see everything, here's a list of all the post-50 content in chronological order. Make sure you have the "Show Exploration Missions" option toggled On on your map screen or else there will be some missions that aren't available. (Some of the references to Operations being Level 55 or whatnot are now out of date since 4.0 changed how end-game Ops work - but the chronological order still stands.)

Here's a list of all the post-Class Story storylines, based on the chronological order that max-level content was released (which seems to track the in-universe progression).

The Cold War and the Start of the Second Great Galactic War

• Class & Planetary Quests up through Corellia and the end of your Class Story plus Flashpoints as they become available (all Flashpoints have one-time quests that can be picked up on Fleet as soon as you hit the level for that Flashpoint and most of these quests can also be picked up on the level-appropriate planets)

Ilum and the New Empire

• Ilum Planetary Quests (starts with quest you should receive automatically once you finish your Class Story)
  • Battle of Ilum Flashpoint (continuing the Ilum quest line) [now available in solo-mode]
  • The False Emperor Flashpoint (concluding the Ilum quest line) [now available in solo-mode]

The Return of the Infernal One

• Eternity Vault Operation (one-time quest picked up on Fleet)

Prelude to the Hutt Cartel Conflict

• Karagga's Palace Operation (one-time quest picked up on Fleet) [briefly foreshadows The Dread War storyline.]

The Rakghoul Plague Outbreak

• Kaon Under Siege Flashpoint (one-time quest picked up on Fleet)
  • The Lost Island Flashpoint (concluding the one-time quest that started with Kaon)

The Black Hole Crisis

• Black Hole Daily Area (one-time quest picked up on Fleet starts the progression)

The Dread War Begins

• Explosive Conflict Operation (one-time quest picked up on Fleet)
  • Terror From Beyond Operation (one-time quest picked up on Fleet) [because this Operation has been adjusted to level 55 it's worth noting that nothing is glaringly out of order if you do this after Makeb, but it should be done before Scum and Villainy]
  • Section X Daily Area (one-time quest picked up on Fleet starts the progression)
  • HK-51 Quest Line (starts with quest picked up in Section X)

Conflict with the Hutt Cartel

• Scum and Villainy Operation (one-time quest picked up on Fleet) [because it is a level 55 operation, this is something you'll probably end up running after Makeb. Other than a single line of dialogue on the Republic one-time quest (response to "But their leader is dead!" dialogue option), nothing is badly out of place if you do this content after Makeb. This Operation also ties in to The Dread War storyline and should definitely be run if you want to experience that full story.]
  • Makeb Planetary Quest Line (starts with quest picked up on your ship's holo-terminal)
  • Shroud (Macrobinoculars) and Seeds of Rage (Seeker Droid) Quest Lines (each starts with a quest that can either be picked up on Makeb at around the halfway point of the planetary quest line, or on the Fleet once you hit level 52)[seeds of Rage questline also ties in to The Dread War storyline, should definitely be run if you want to experience that full story]

The Fall of Czerka

• CZ-198 Daily Area (one-time quest picked up on Fleet starts the progression)
  • Czerka Corporate Labs Flashpoint (continuing the CZ-198 one-time quest)
  • Czerka Core Meltdown Flashpoint (concluding the CZ-198 one-time quest)

The Dread War Ends

• Oricon Planetary Quest Chain (starts with quest that can be picked up either on Fleet or CZ-198)
  • Dread Fortress Operation (continuing the Oricon quest line)
  • Dread Palace Operation (concluding the Oricon quest line)

Forged Alliances

• Assault on Tython and Korriban Incursion Flashpoints (order is determined based on your faction, one-time quest picked up on fleet)
  • Depths of Manaan Flashpoint (quest to continue the progression picked up on fleet from same droid who gave part I)
  • Rakata Prime Flashpoint (quest to continure the progression picked up on fleet from same droid who gave parts I and II)

Shadow of Revan

• Rishi Planetary Quest Line (starts with quest picked up from Forged Alliances Droid on Fleet or from terminal on your Ship)
  • Blood Hunt Flashpoint (Rishi Quest Line directs you to it)
  • Battle of Rishi Flashpoint (Rishi Quest Line directs you to it)
  • Yavin IV Planetary Quest Line and Daily Area
  • Temple of Sacrifice Operation (one of two options for how to finish the Yavin IV Quest Line)
  • Ravagers Operation (one-time quest outside the Operation entrance on Rishi) [separate from main quest line with stand-alone plot, can be done anytime after you hit 60 and have been to Rishi]

Rise of the Emperor

• Ziost Planetary Quest Line (starts with quest picked up on fleet)
  • Ziost Daily Area (planetary quest line leads into it)

Knights of the Fallen Empire

• On-Going Quest Line [Chapters 1-15 currently available] (starts with quest picked up on your ship)
  • Star Fortress Flashpoints (on-going quest line leads into them)
  • Recruitment Missions (become available from your Alliance menu after Chapter 9 of the on-going quest line)

With 4.0, the 'breadcrumb' missions to the Black Hole and to Section X seem to have been pruned out as part of the 'streamlining' they did. All the missions in both areas are still there though, so you can still complete those and can still get HK-51 in SecX, you just have to head to the areas directly instead of picking up the "go there" mission from the Fleet.

Edited by DarthDymond

In no rush on my Smuggler here. I've done the "core" for Rep on my Knight and I'm working on the "core" for Imp side on my SI.

I'm doing it slow on my Smuggler to get all the side-stuff done. And yep, got my Exploration quests enabled.

Very helpful information though! Thank you!

*unsubtle bump to try and get the thread stickied somewhere*

Following the "Timeline" question, I'd like to mention that I recall some post somewhere that each Act was a year. I also think Ilum to Makeb would also take at least the better part of a year with Hutt Cartel/Makeb taking up the last part of that year considering its storyline has the whole supposed "countdown" thing. Since Forged Alliances ends with the whole "have to go dark and stuff" thing, I'd assume that there is a gap of sorts between Forged Alliances and the SoR. I also figure that Ziost has a gap of time before KotFE Chapter I starts as well.

*goes and copies DarthDymond's timeline into one of her documents for her own reference before she forgets it all again*

EDIT: I personally think Acts one and Three took longer than a year because Act Two always felt very short compared to the other two Acts, however, but that's my personal bias and speculation.

Edited by LyraineAlei

*unsubtle bump to try and get the thread stickied somewhere*

Following the "Timeline" question, I'd like to mention that I recall some post somewhere that each Act was a year. I also think Ilum to Makeb would also take at least the better part of a year with Hutt Cartel/Makeb taking up the last part of that year considering its storyline has the whole supposed "countdown" thing. Since Forged Alliances ends with the whole "have to go dark and stuff" thing, I'd assume that there is a gap of sorts between Forged Alliances and the SoR. I also figure that Ziost has a gap of time before KotFE Chapter I starts as well.

*goes and copies DarthDymond's timeline into one of her documents for her own reference before she forgets it all again*

EDIT: I personally think Acts one and Three took longer than a year because Act Two always felt very short compared to the other two Acts, however, but that's my personal bias and speculation.

They definitely said (I believe in the SWTOR Encyclopedia) that each Chapter in the vanilla game took about one year (with the Prologue and Chapter 1 taking one year combined).

Beyond that, I have always assumed that after the end of the class story, time has moved either at roughly the same rate as real-world time since launch until we hit the time jump in KOTFE (meaning over 3 1/2 years since Ilum for 6 1/2+ years total) or something more like:

• Prologue + Chapter 1 = 1 year
  • Chapter 2 = 1 year
  • Chapter 3 = 1 year
  • First Intermission + Chapter 4 = 1 year
  • Second Intermission + Chapter 5 = 1 year
  • Third Intermission = start of the next year

so that we're a bit over five years since the start of the game by the time we finish Ziost, with some time between that and Chapter 1 of KotFE, followed by the five-year time jump between KotFE Chapters 2 and 3.

I think I heard somewhere that some dev tweeted an endorsement of the "same amount of time as in the real world, up until the KOTFE time jump" theory, but I don't have a link so I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by DarthDymond

They definitely said (I believe in the SWTOR Encyclopedia) that each Chapter in the vanilla game took about one year (with the Prologue and Chapter 1 taking one year combined).

Beyond that, I have always assumed that after the end of the class story, time has moved either at roughly the same rate as real-world time since launch until we hit the time jump in KOTFE (meaning over 3 1/2 years since Ilum for 6 1/2+ years total) or something more like:

• Prologue + Chapter 1 = 1 year
  • Chapter 2 = 1 year
  • Chapter 3 = 1 year
  • First Intermission + Chapter 4 = 1 year
  • Second Intermission + Chapter 5 = 1 year
  • Third Intermission = start of the next year

so that we're a bit over five years since the start of the game by the time we finish Ziost, with some time between that and Chapter 1 of KotFE, followed by the five-year time jump between KotFE Chapters 2 and 3.

I think I heard somewhere that some dev tweeted an endorsement of the "same amount of time as in the real world, up until the KOTFE time jump" theory, but I don't have a link so I'm not 100% sure.

I thought I recalled something about the post Makeb or Ilum real-time thing as well, but I wasn't certain.

Oh, really? That's actually really awesome. I didn't realize it was supposed to be that long. I actually really like that. I always hate when stories are like rushed and they act like 50 million things happening in 30 days is "normal". A year plus for Chapters actually sounds pretty reasonable/'realistic'.

In no rush on my Smuggler here. I've done the "core" for Rep on my Knight and I'm working on the "core" for Imp side on my SI.

I'm doing it slow on my Smuggler to get all the side-stuff done. And yep, got my Exploration quests enabled.

Very helpful information though! Thank you!

He too, full on Atton Rand RP, the only class with a non one path story and lore

First off, this thread is awesome, and has answers alot of the questions I've had since starting back with the DvL event.

My question is what events could I skip in the timeline for sole DvL completion. Also, must everything post- main story quest be done in order?

Thanks

First off, this thread is awesome, and has answers alot of the questions I've had since starting back with the DvL event.

My question is what events could I skip in the timeline for sole DvL completion. Also, must everything post- main story quest be done in order?

Thanks

Post main story, you'll only have to worry about SOR, Ziost and KOtFE. So because SOR and Ziost are unavailable after starting KOTFE, yes. You have to do those three in order.

You don't even have to do the main storyline. Just get your character up to level 60-65 to start Forged Alliance on the fleet. Everything else are flashpoints and can be done at any point.

• 1 year later...

Ok,

This is nice , and I'm glad for all the replies that spell out the exact order of things . What I truly want to know is , what are the actual 'Galactic Years ; I.E. - is it 3861 B.B.Y. for Knights of the Fallen , or 3911 B.B.Y. ??

I want to know j=not just the order of the SW:TOR chapters , I'd like to know what Galactic Years they occur in as well so that I can make my Role Play , my characters Back Stories just a little bit better and more believable . If anyone can help with this then I would be most grateful .

Thanks so much for any who have Info. I do appreciate it.

The Sir Strazzen

Ok,

This is nice , and I'm glad for all the replies that spell out the exact order of things . What I truly want to know is , what are the actual 'Galactic Years ; I.E. - is it 3861 B.B.Y. for Knights of the Fallen , or 3911 B.B.Y. ??

I want to know j=not just the order of the SW:TOR chapters , I'd like to know what Galactic Years they occur in as well so that I can make my Role Play , my characters Back Stories just a little bit better and more believable . If anyone can help with this then I would be most grateful .

Thanks so much for any who have Info. I do appreciate it.

The Sir Strazzen

Wookieepedia says that the class stories start in 3643 BBY, so KotFE Chapter I begins about 5 years later, 3638 BBY, and KotFE Chapter III begins five years after that, 3633 BBY.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/3643_BBY

Yeah what we get from Wookiepedia is that the game starts in 3643 BBY.

Which would give (if i'm not mistaken somewhere) :

- 3643 BBY = prolog + chapter 1 of the class stories + the Lost Suns comic book

- 3642 BBY = chapter 2

- 3641 BBY = chapter 3 + Ilum

- 3640 BBY = events from the Annihilation novel

- 3639 BBY = Makeb + Oricon

- 3638 BBY = Forged Alliances + SoR

- 3637 BBY = Ziost + KOTFE Chapter 1

- 3632 BBY = KOTFE Chapter 2

There's one thing i'd like to know though : that is the exact timeline between the events of the different class stories.

We know that the SW goes to Voss before the JK for example, or that the BH is probably the 1 of the 8 characters to arrive on Corelia.

The actual years in the timeline are a little fishy and different sources seem to have different opinions on what happened and when in SWTOR. We should really get an official statement on these rather than having to rely on a bunch of community made calculations most wikis and community sites are displaying. So take all the "dates" with a grain of salt and just assume they happened somewhere around the stated year, take or give a few.

TORcommunity has the most detailed date calculations if you wish to look at them more closely.

A lot of the time I feel like big operations like the first 3 class chapters happen way too fast, taken all the space-travel and planet travel and "breaks" in between the chapters. Wars and operations take a long time to plan out and coordinate but our superhuman player characters always seem to have everything planned and done for in like a month if not even weeks upon arriving on a planet.

Edited by Kiesu