Can we please overhaul the Character Name system

Transairion

I'm getting pretty sick of being forced to use hideous alt codes to get the names I want to use or, to get something unique I have to smash my face on the keyboard to create some abomination of letters.

Heck even just make it so all the alt codes we can use in chat can ACTUALLY be used in character creation, there's some really great alt codes out there that only have minor differences but character creation gives you a great big "DENIED" screen if you try and use it.

STO has a better system to be honest you can pick any name you want since the only name that matters is your account name which you don't see unless your chatting well obviously you can't name your character after known captains but that's a common limitation

I've got over twenty characters and only three names use an apostophe, but even then they're original names. If you want to be called Revan, Johnny, Mary or Sue there's going to be hundreds of other players who already thought of that - so if you don't like alt codes, spend some time thinking up an original name. It's not THAT difficult. So NO, OP, we do not need a name overhaul. There was a major name purge in november, for Revan's sake!

I've got over twenty characters and only three names use an apostophe, but even then they're original names. If you want to be called Revan, Johnny, Mary or Sue there's going to be hundreds of other players who already thought of that - so if you don't like alt codes, spend some time thinking up an original name. It's not THAT difficult.

Some of us don't want to be called Darth Tootsie just because it's original.

My actual name is, I think, the only "original" name I've got in that it hasn't got any alt codes. That's all well and fine, but that's also a name I'm been using for years and I'm not good at making up names that I actually like.

There's no reason we can't just have a singular account name then sub-character names below that allows actual overlap. If multiple people can share a name in the real world why does having two people named Jewel cause a doomsday?

Overhaul mail system so it goes to the right places instead and we're golden.

I'm not even a RP'er too, this kind of "1 of each name then locked" system would be hell.

Edited by Transairion

There's no reason we can't just have a singular account name then sub-character names below that allows actual overlap. If multiple people can share a name in the real world why does having two people named Jewel cause a doomsday?.

RP'ing Revan would have major impact to your mental health.

You would have to kill yourself in Foundry FP.

Simple solution is to be more creative. No one cares that you want to be the 1000th version of Ohbeonekanohbee or Hungsolow.

Originality is not the issue. I have original names I've used for 10+ years of gaming and RP that others apparently also use that happen to get them first, or with server merges ended up getting to keep theirs because mine was an alt I hadn't gotten around to playing yet. I still have two names I've not managed to get back even with the name free-up they did in November.

Problem completely solved if they based it on our account name instead then we could have whatever names we want. I agree w/ surname not being legacy name too, not all my characters are related it'd be nice to be able to display their surnames not the legacy as a surname.

Why everyone and their mother wants name Revan? There's a simple reason why you can't use that name: Revan is already in the game.

ok i understand that there are NPCs with certain names.

but here is something to chew on....in any kind of logical world of sentient beings there will always be someone who thinks of the same crud you do.

i find it hard to believe there is only one person named Revan or Luke or Han or Greedo or whomever in the entirety of the star wars universe.