The future of SWTOR

BarbLindemann

There was equally as many who DID like it as tye vocal minority who didn't. One day theyll stop listening to that group and pay attention to the numbers of replays etc instead. There's just so many who don't even use the forums.

The monthly chapters were great, this tiny amount of story of late has driven away most of the story players. I barely log in anymore because there's nothing worthwhile new logging in for. If/when I find another MMO to give my sub to instead it'll go too (been conssidering giving it to ESO for a while lately). There will be no story players left soon, but maybe they want that. Who knows. I'm definitely bored with the game the past few years with so little worthwhile story hitting the deck.

Yes, I agree with you. I feel like the new story content simply hasn't been as good after the Eternal Fleet was destroyed and the Rep vs Imp conflict started again. It's sad because I've enjoyed this game for years and am very invested in my characters stories. I still get much enjoyment out of SWTOR because I enjoy replaying old content, but every new story content has been more or less disappointing to me (I enjoyed the traitor story arc especially for my knight, but for my Warriors and Inquisitor's it's been very underwhelming to go from being the last Eternal Emperor to Ascina's lackey).

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I agree with you. I feel like the new story content simply hasn't been as good after the Eternal Fleet was destroyed and the Rep vs Imp conflict started again. It's sad because I've enjoyed this game for years and am very invested in my characters stories. I still get much enjoyment out of SWTOR because I enjoy replaying old content, but every new story content has been more or less disappointing to me (I enjoyed the traitor story arc especially for my knight, but for my Warriors and Inquisitor's it's been very underwhelming to go from being the last Eternal Emperor to Ascina's lackey).

Pretty much spot on. The story, if I even can call an hour of doing lackey stuff a story, of Ossus and Onslaught is so week, rehashed, simple and underwhelming I had trouble bringing more than two characters one rep and one imp through it.

Pretty much spot on. The story, if I even can call an hour of doing lackey stuff a story, of Ossus and Onslaught is so week, rehashed, simple and underwhelming I had trouble bringing more than two characters one rep and one imp through it.

I'm not minding the story, it's just hard to really get into it properly when all we are getting are such tiny amounts in one go. This sabotage/loyalist story has taken them so long to do that I've forgotten a lot of it on the chars I've taken through. Also if Theron isn't part of the story about his mum I'll be annoyed. The dribs and drabs over such a long time are breaking immersion.

Edited by Suzsi

I'm not minding the story, it's just hard to really get into it properly when all we are getting are such tiny amounts in one go. This sabotage/loyalist story has taken them so long to do that I've forgotten a lot of it on the chars I've taken through. Also if Theron isn't part of the story about his mum I'll be annoyed. The dribs and drabs over such a long time are breaking immersion.

I love a lot about Onderon .. but the rest sort of fizzled out: particularly Mek-sha (for the most part I really don't like that place) . The new FP is good !

The story is a good start .. but then is left in a state of contradiction (LS vs DS) for content overall. IMO we were expecting a major amount of information / interactions and fun ... and instead it was more like a small token of what should have been.

Our companions are essentially left to be glorified "Barbie (or Ken) Dolls" that have ZERO interactions and even less to do with the story.

We are almost back to the same "lines" that are spoken by our story counterparts regardless of what choices are made. ( almost ... some very small variants)

This is NOT an indictment against the team. There was a lot of good done ! The stage was set properly ... just needs to be better utilized. More content to the story please. That IS the driving part of the game. And if there is very little there .. well then .. there you go ! It just doesn't go very far ... Does it ?

I made a list earlier in this thread .. and I genuinely hope that the team has take that list and other recent comments to heart.

Hopefully this was done several MONTHS ago and things are being done to seeing this game revitalized.

If so many of us still believe that it can be done ... and are waiting and hoping it WILL happen .. imagine how many more who NEVER visit the forums are out there with the same mind set.

Does this company realize how many others wish that they were sitting on a gold mine like this game.

PLEASE DON'T throw away the opportunity that's there !

Does this company realize how many others wish that they were sitting on a gold mine like this game.

PLEASE DON'T throw away the opportunity that's there !

I don't think they actually care, all they see is the cash coming in with minimal investment. They don't need to invest lots of money in it, as the CM, keeps the cash coming in. And as it's the only SW MMO going, we don't have much choice. With EA having exclusive rights, that won't change :(

Edited by DarkTergon

I don't think they actually care, all they see is the cash coming in with minimal investment. They don't need to invest lots of money in it, as the CM, keeps the cash coming in. And as it's the only SW MMO going, we don't have much choice. With EA having exclusive rights, that won't change :(

Not unless someone other than KK @ Disney get involved and insists on a full throttle push to get things moving.

To make things perfectly clear .. IMO the team could make this one heck of a game with ALL of the items we've mentioned in previous statement in this thread and then some.

Just kick the tires and light the fires !!

They know how !!

;)

And this is likely the only SW MMO for awhile. You know as long as it's making money they won't shut it down which imo is a good thing.

Sacking Lucasarts, outsourcing software development, mistakes there were made, yet learn they have not.

Oh yes .. this they have .. but having the desire and the burden of wisdom to share with others .... this is a mystery. Meditate on this we must to uncover the meaning and the hidden darkness that clouds the understanding of the future that we find so illusive.

;)

And this is likely the only SW MMO for awhile. You know as long as it's making money they won't shut it down which imo is a good thing.

Actually it's just sad that we are getting mediocre updates when the games still making so much money when we could be getting an amazimg game that would be making even more $$. Even more sad we hang on in the hopes it'll change while knowing it probably won't.

Actually it's just sad that we are getting mediocre updates when the games still making so much money when we could be getting an amazimg game that would be making even more $$. Even more sad we hang on in the hopes it'll change while knowing it probably won't.

As xor pointed out, they put huge resources in to Kotfe, & kotet, yet people unsubbed in their hundreds, if not thousands, posted some very nasty comments here, and in other media. There was supposed to be a follow up, but it ended up being the FPs, etc (or so has been said here, not 100% sure it was true). They put the money in, and got less of a turn over than the did for doing minimal. 🤷 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think they are mediocre as I enjoyed them. I do wish they were bigger but I'll take what I can get. It's obvious plenty still enjoy the game so I'm betting the 10th anniversary expansion will be a good size but I'm not expecting KOTFE size.

I don't think they are mediocre as I enjoyed them. I do wish they were bigger but I'll take what I can get. It's obvious plenty still enjoy the game so I'm betting the 10th anniversary expansion will be a good size but I'm not expecting KOTFE size.

Just to lower expectations a bit here. They haven't actually said if they are having an expansion for the 10th anniversary or not. While I do suspect they will do something special for it, that may not be an expansion. They hinted at a DvL 2.0 type event for the 10th anniversary in one of the Dev streams, which has been something many in these forums have been asking for over the years.

Just to lower expectations a bit here. They haven't actually said if they are having an expansion for the 10th anniversary or not. While I do suspect they will do something special for it, that may not be an expansion. They hinted at a DvL 2.0 type event for the 10th anniversary in one of the Dev streams, which has been something many in these forums have been asking for over the years.

True. Though I would expect some story updates next year.

As xor pointed out, they put huge resources in to Kotfe, & kotet, yet people unsubbed in their hundreds, if not thousands, posted some very nasty comments here, and in other media. There was supposed to be a follow up, but it ended up being the FPs, etc (or so has been said here, not 100% sure it was true). They put the money in, and got less of a turn over than the did for doing minimal. 🤷 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well ... yes and no !

WARNING: GRUMPY OLD MAN ON THE LOOSE !!!

There were several reasons why people jumped ship. The story was only one part. BUT IMO .. many went along with the stories ... and were never vocal.

There were several times I thought about posting my approval of the story lines .. but those who were hostile were SO out spoken I dared NOT say anything !!

There were several decisions that were made that DID work against the game ... LIKE IT OR NOT !

*** Killing off ALL companions. Just .. gone !! BTW... it should be noted that companions have YET to come back into the real story of the game ... just blocks of wood ).

*** Changing to the selection of typed out choices of responses ( I still hate those ... UGH !)[note: if someone could provide a more appropriate description of that I'd appreciate it ... having a just ridiculously senior moment right now !! ).

*** Scaling down to one or two REAL actual choices in the story (the removal of 8 separate class stories)

*** Cut and paste of all of those stations. (same old settings ... no changes ... just the same old thing over and over and over again ... Same thing was done on Ossus really).

*** A VERY poor reward / gearing system which got even WORSE with the Ossus grind !!

BUT ... please note: this is separate from the actual stories. The story of KotFE / ET was not that bad. If anything it was a good change.

Soooo why not learn from this instead of carrying a huge grudge against the community / (and the community toward the team) vowing to never forgive and do better ?

I'm sorry .. I guess this old man will just NEVER get that.

Most everyone is glad to see the story line headed in the direction it is right now.

Soooo what's wrong with that ?

Does it need improvement ... YES ! Work on the ideas that everyone is looking for (more or less).

It wouldn't kill anyone to incorporate some of the good stuff back into the game:

** Another class (as mentioned earlier)

** More frequent (and some repeatable ) companion interactions

** Expanded stories

** More FP's / Ops / Heroics ... (both group and solo with rewards that reflect both)

** PvP and PvE content

** Two more strongholds

** more stuff .. but having another senior moment ... (ugh ... having one of those mornings)

Good grief .. Why in the name of common sense is it considered "dreaming" to just simply do the right thing !!

All of this stuff (the list above) are things that simply WORK !!

Just do what works !!

(starts grumbling to self again !

... UGH

Sorry for the wall of text ... again !

They did say there was something huge planned for the 10th, which is why people are probably betting on an expansion, which is what I thought too, I didn't hear the one about DvL 2, so they could be talking about that. What would be even better is both ;) We can hope...lol

They did say there was something huge planned for the 10th, which is why people are probably betting on an expansion, which is what I thought too, I didn't hear the one about DvL 2, so they could be talking about that. What would be even better is both ;) We can hope...lol

Yeah .. hopefully already including some of the stuff we've been on a tear about the last few days!!

(and we're probably not done yet !) :eek:

I am honestly surprised people still have high expectations, considering the amount of content we got past KOTET. Sure there always are 2,3 people constantly defending BW\EA and they seem to interchange between the months/years, but I thought high expectations are a rare sight, given what they have done with this game (meager content and releasing conten for 1% of the population cause reasons we know). For the 10th Anny I expect a DvL type event. A real expansion (because i cant really call onslaught a real expansion) is way off for me, though as usual I hope I am wrong.

Edited by ExarSun

I am honestly surprised people still have high expectations, considering the amount of content we got past KOTET. Sure there always are 2,3 people constantly defending BW\EA and they seem to interchange between the months/years, but I thought high expectations are a rare sight, given what they have done with this game (meager content and releasing conten for 1% of the population cause reasons we know). For the 10th Anny I expect a DvL type event. A real expansion (because i cant really call onslaught a real expansion) is way off for me, though as usual I hope I am wrong.

expectations need to be relevant to the given situations, and some are taking too much for granted

1 - BW vs EA vs D - no matter who has what Idea /plans /wild hairs /etc, D has the final say on what does (or not) happen.

2 - Even if /when /where D keeps hands off, BW still answers to EA, who controls little things like budgets and staffing. Sadly, EA has been keeping true to their traditions of stripping a studio of its assets and resources where BW is concerned. As mentioned elsewhere, the only remaining reason to keep BW viable after all this time is to maintain contracts. So far, BW is the longest lasting acquisition to remain functional under EA.

3 - somethings are just down to bad practices on BW's part, and there (rightfully) is no defense for dev's that ignore (no public response or feedback) their clients input, esp when they end up doing it later anyways. At the minimum, a heads up that some content needs to be tested in a larger shark tank than the PTS, and some interactions on what you specifically want to be tested and what kinds of targeted feed back is wanted /needed would go a very long ways with your target audience and gaining some lenience and compassion when working on things.

TLDR, Mr (/Ms/Mrs) Developers: Tear Down This Wall!

Edited by Kaveat

There will likely be at least a few story updates but I'd like a good size expansion too.

3 - somethings are just down to bad practices on BW's part, and there (rightfully) is no defense for dev's that ignore (no public response or feedback) their clients input, esp when they end up doing it later anyways. At the minimum, a heads up that some content needs to be tested in a larger shark tank than the PTS, and some interactions on what you specifically want to be tested and what kinds of targeted feed back is wanted /needed would go a very long ways with your target audience and gaining some lenience and compassion when working on things.

I get the feeling EA's exerting undue influence on this part of the game's production too. If BW techs were to answer CS complaints about lingering bugs honestly, they'd probably be like "sorry, we know there's issues and we'd love to fix them, but the budget EA gave us doesn't permit man-hours be spent fixing old content or fixing a rough draft of our new updates once they're in the test server, they're already demanding the next episode of the Valkorion Family soap opera by mid quarter so we're all working on that."

I get the feeling EA's exerting undue influence on this part of the game's production too. If BW techs were to answer CS complaints about lingering bugs honestly, they'd probably be like "sorry, we know there's issues and we'd love to fix them, but the budget EA gave us doesn't permit man-hours be spent fixing old content or fixing a rough draft of our new updates once they're in the test server, they're already demanding the next episode of the Valkorion Family soap opera by mid quarter so we're all working on that."

such moves it would be in line with their trends.

Such things just reinforces my opinion on D's "smartest move", but there would be a fair bit of moving parts to line up for that to happen properly. The potential for what could then be done then is enormous, but TBH I just don't see D having the courage or foresight to make that plunge, but only time will tell.

New/returning player here. I returned several weeks ago, and I am working myself through all the new content. Which is, of course, not new for the veteran player. I understand that.

As for the future of SWTOR, as I experienced the game till now, it has way more problems with several outdated mechanics (which is ok after 9 years) and an impressive amount of bugs.

I returned for just some weeks now, but I already lost count how many times I had to restart/relog or reset the UI.

Nothing was truly game breaking but it adds up to an, lets say, uncomfortable amount. Cant click this or that, fell through ground, companion stuck, companion lost, Combat Support Droid in FP´s vanishes and cannot be summoned, nodes stuck in ground, and so forth.

An mmo is in constant development but much of these bugs are well known since years and I am sure lots of free players left because of this. So I hope maybe one day they can somehow fix this.

• 2 months later...
I doubt they are going to kill SWTOR. It still makes them money. I still think we have a good five yeas left.

I am not good at English, so I use Deepl to translate, I hope this works.

First of all, I'm talking about real MMORPGs, not service games like Anthem or Fallout 76.

I can understand the fear that the beloved MMO will be discontinued, but, just look at the past how few real, great MMOS were discontinued. If they were, it was usually already apparent at the time of release. But, if you consider that Ultima Online has been running for 25 years, WOW for 17 years and many other MMOS for about 20 years, including Runescape, Everquest 1&2, Tibia and even exotics like Merridian59 and The 4th Revelation, it's very unlikely. Revelation, it is very unlikely that SWTOR should only have 5 years left, as even with the oldest of the MMOS, an end is far from in sight At the moment SWTOR is the 13th largest MMO and the largest in the StarWars/Scifi genre with hundreds of thousands of players daily according to mmo-population, and enjoys great popularity. Also the market is changing and there are more players every year in the MMO field and if you consider that the oldest MMOS started at a time when the market was still very small and still financially rewarding to this day, Ultima online for example has constantly its 300,000 subscribers, then SWTOR will also exist for a long time because it had much better starting conditions and a much larger playerbase and also much more casual friendly than Ultima Online for example.

I'm not saying that the game can't shrink at some point, at the moment it's growing, also thanks to the Steam release, but even if it shrinks, at the end, in the worst case, there will be only one server left, but it will always be full, because there is a loyal base of players, even for the oldest games. Maybe there will be no new content at all and the support will be reduced to a minimum, but from my own experience I know that the costs for the operation can be so low that you can keep such a game alive even with 5,000 players daily. But, even games like Dark Age of Camelot, or Anarchy Online that can really be considered failed, still have a daily player count of 5000 each and live today and come to a good 200,000 (DAOC) and 140,000 (AO) accounts, respectively.

I can list so many more games like Asheron's Call, Age of Conan: Unchained, even Phantasy Star Online (2000) are still alive, even though they were predicted to die 10-15 years ago.

So, I wouldn't worry about SWTOR and I certainly wouldn't prophesy an end, because SWTOR is simply too good for that and is played too gladly by many people, so that one can really assume now that it has no future. What that looks like remains to be seen, but as I said at the beginning, until such a large MMO really dies and is finally shut down, more must happen, as the past has shown again and again.

edit:

I forgot to mention that even a game lives on after the official end. For example, Merridian 59 no longer has official support, but can still be played via fanservers in the respective countries, even Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided is very much alive, on a fan server, with a really large community and thousands of players online at the same time. I know that's not the same as an official support, but in Merdian 59 for example, sometimes even official databases were passed on, so you could keep your character. It always goes on somehow. But SWTOR is far from that point, there would have to be a new, bigger and better StarWars MMO to make SWTOR really uninteresting and even then, there will be people who prefer to play SWTOR than the new one, as Star Wars Galaxies shows very nicely.

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Edited by Choazzz