Is Galen Marek...

TheLonelyTusken

Canonical?

I've just been wondering this for a while, some places say it is and takes place before the OT, but some say it's not at all, or some level of in-between.

I realize there are two different endings to each story, for light and dark sides, but I'm not sure if either are canon in any way.

If anyone can give an explanation, thanks.

Galen Marek is Canon just like Star Wars: Galaxies. The Lightside events are canon for both TFU 1 and 2 per the books (and common since for the 1st one lol).

Actually Gelen Marek is way more canon than Galaxies. Gelen Marek (TFU and TFU2 story in general) is GL approved (as he overlords over Vader uses), Galaxies is not.

If it were there never would have been masses of Wookie Jedi and other stuff along those lines.

TFU and TFU2 are almost on par with Clone War series in canon (though they are not written directly by him, just looked over and approved, so less).

Galaxies was do what ever you want lowest-canon level.

Actually Gelen Marek is way more canon than Galaxies. Gelen Marek (TFU and TFU2 story in general) is GL approved (as he overlords over Vader uses), Galaxies is not.

If it were there never would have been masses of Wookie Jedi and other stuff along those lines.

TFU and TFU2 are almost on par with Clone War series in canon (though they are not written directly by him, just looked over and approved, so less).

That's cool, personally I don't really like his character. Don't get me wrong, hes pretty BA and stuff, but in general I don't like the use of godlike powers and things like that to make the game for flashy and cool.

what? TFU and TFU2 isnt even close to being on par with the clone wars series in canon. And everything is GL approved, doesnt mean he considers it canon within HIS movie universe.

Yeah, Lucas has stated that Starkiller's story is the only video game content that is canon.

Personally, I thought the first TFU was a wonderful story and absolutely fits within the confines of the movies.

The second... not as much.

what? TFU and TFU2 isnt even close to being on par with the clone wars series in canon. And everything is GL approved, doesnt mean he considers it canon within HIS movie universe.

It would take me a while to find the quote, but GL said something along the lines of "I consider this to be what happened between Episodes three and four", or something like that.

TFU books are canon as are certain aspects of Star Wars Galaxies.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Galaxies#A_few_words_from_Leland_Chee_regarding_Star_Wars_Galaxies_and_canon

The games are not canon except where they correspond to the novel. So no, the over the top Force abilities are not canon.

In general, games stories are canon, game mechanics are not.

Edited by valin-krai

Yeah, Lucas has stated that Starkiller's story is the only video game content that is canon.

Personally, I thought the first TFU was a wonderful story and absolutely fits within the confines of the movies.

The second... not as much.

The lightside path of KOTOR is also considered canon by Lucas.

The character of Galen Marek/Starkiller is canon.

That he was unusually powerful (and thus seen by Vader as a worthy apprentice) is canon.

The overall Light Side stories of both games are canon.

That he can crush TIE Fighters like eggs, survive falls from low orbit (literally), and shoot more Force Lightning brushing is teeth then Palpatine can all day is NOT CANON.

Basically, a video game's story line can be canon, but game mechanics are not. Thus, while the character and story of Starkiller are canon, the over-the-top Force Powers the game gives you access to in service to Rule of Cool (which, lets face it, they're pretty damn cool!) aren't. Just like Kyle Katarn's personal shield generator isn't canon (at least, not at the power level the game had it at), nor are numbers of hit points various iterations of stormtroopers and battle droids have had.