Why are are the new ship parts Grade 7 items?

finelinebob

I have to ask this because I was under the mistaken impression that a Grade 7 item would require Grade 7 materials. So, what does it take to make a Grade 7 missile launcher, the Concussion Missile Magazine?

• 30 Zal Alloy
  • 12 Enriched Durasteel
  • 6 Mandalorian Iron
  • 4 Molecular Stabilizers
  • 2 Synthetic Energy Matrices

Where are the Grade 7 crafting materials?

If you consider what it does take to craft one of these items, you'll find two different Grade 8 items (the ones in red). Maybe this means nothing, or maybe it means the people in charge of Crew Skills and crafting at BioWare either (a) really do not know what they are doing or (b) have completely lost any control they might have had to the pencil-pushers figuring out new ways to make a buck for EA/BW through the Cartel Market. You choose.

One last thing. With the current prices for the raw materials on my server, it would cost around 713k credits to make one of these. What have they been selling for? As low as 35k. Maybe a "Milton Friedman" out there can explain that one to me in free-market terms....

And THAT is why most people are buying them from the cartel store. most people would rather pay $10, than pay 5 million+ credits for all the upgrades.

unless you already had tons of those crafting materials lying around.

My point exactly. Another what that BioWare is screwing over crafting with the Cartel Market. Instead of seeing any improvements to Crew Skills, we see further erosion.

Pathetic.

I chalk it up more to negligence and incompetence than some evil plot to make crafting irrelevant.

However, to add insult to injury, they have flooded the market with Grade 7 materials in the Cartel Packs while not doing anything to make crafting with those materials more relevant.

The vast majority of items that do require grade 7 mats are rare drop schematics that result in BOP items that are mostly irrelevant for anyone other than fresh 50s without a main running EC / TfB.

It would have much more sense if in one of the previous patches they had added schematics on trainers or for commendations that allowed crafters to make non-BOP items in the 23, 24, 25 quality range using Grade 7 mats.

It would also have made sense for the new ship parts to use grade 7 materials. Then the cost to make the new ship parts would be similar to the CM / credit cost instead of the ridiculous difference in cost we see today.

But alas, Bioware continues to show their negligence and incompetence and thus we get the sorry state of crafting we have today.

Edited by DawnAskham

They're grade 7 ship parts before there were 6 levels of ship parts before them.

You seem to be crying about how hard life is as a Cybertech, since you can't make money on ultra high end ship parts.

No one will cry for you, Cybertech. Not even other Cybertechs.

I chalk it up more to negligence and incompetence than some evil plot to make crafting irrelevant.

However, to add insult to injury, they have flooded the market with Grade 7 materials in the Cartel Packs while not doing anything to make crafting with those materials more relevant.

The vast majority of items that do require grade 7 mats are rare drop schematics that result in BOP items that are mostly irrelevant for anyone other than fresh 50s without a main running EC / TfB.

It would have much more sense if in one of the previous patches they had added schematics on trainers or for commendations that allowed crafters to make non-BOP items in the 23, 24, 25 quality range using Grade 7 mats.

It would also have made sense for the new ship parts to use grade 7 materials. Then the cost to make the new ship parts would be similar to the CM / credit cost instead of the ridiculous difference in cost we see today.

But alas, Bioware continues to show their negligence and incompetence and thus we get the sorry state of crafting we have today.

^This sounds about right

They're grade 7 ship parts before there were 6 levels of ship parts before them.

You seem to be crying about how hard life is as a Cybertech, since you can't make money on ultra high end ship parts.

No one will cry for you, Cybertech. Not even other Cybertechs.

I'm not crying about anything. I pointing out (1) how stupid the devs are for naming an item "Grade 7" when it requires Grade 8 materials, and (2) how stupid some players are with their ruthless undercutting of items simply because they can.

The argument by the economic neanderthals is always "It's a Free Market! Supply and Demand!" or some other sort of horse manure they heard on the business segment of Fox News, but without any meaningful value to anything in the system, from materials to finished products, the last thing the GTN market behaves like is a "free market" ... unless you want to compare it solely to Pork Belly Futures.

I doubt I would have crafted these for sale on the market; I make gear for my guild. But it's another example of how mindless hacks can destroy the value of an item simply because they can, and because there is nothing in SWTOR crafting that makes one item from the same schematic any better than any other item crafted from that schematic. It's another example of how VALUE and QUALITY have no place in SWTOR's crafting system, and again I have to ask if that's a good thing.

They only named them G7 since the previous cybertech crafted was G6 and i'm guessing didn't want to cause confusion between regular people, but therefore causing confusion among cybertechs. I dropped, i don't know, 100 daily comms or whatever on the ship schematic....then when i saw Stabilizers i was like...pfft well that was a waste of Comms. there are tons of ship upgrades G7 on the gtn and i'd be surprised if any are selling for the 700k or so needed to make a profit.

This post is useless, the devs have already stated that those crafting requirements were unintended.

That's rich! That is just perfect! If any phrase picks out the mindlessness of the Crew Skills system, it's the idea of "unintended requirements".