Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"New" to SWTOR: Sith Sorcerer or Assassin?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
"New" to SWTOR: Sith Sorcerer or Assassin?

Econometrix
07.09.2014 , 04:16 AM | #1
I am returning to SWTOR for first time since beta and am interested in playing an inquisitor. I understand that the sorcerer and assassin now perform comparably when specified for dps and in line with other classes. Can someone provide me with an overview of the pros and cons of each advanced class? I am looking to play PVE dps mainly. With regard to off-spec, I prefer healing over tanking, though I would not let this be the determining factor in selecting between the classes.

TheRandomno
07.10.2014 , 11:29 AM | #2
There's... honestly not much difference really. Madness is usually chosen more than the classes' unique DPS tree (Lightning for Sorc and, I think, Darkness for Sin).

I've played Lightning a bit and looked at the Assassin's unique DPS tree a bit, and I'd say Lightning seems more fun. Sorcs also get a few heals as a DPS.

Econometrix
07.11.2014 , 12:11 PM | #3
@TheRand

Thanks for the reply!

Since my original post, I have been unable to find a site providing a fair assessment of the strengths and weakness of the two classes. From what I can tell, the sorcerer has the advantages of range, self healing, an arguably better second dps tree (lightning vs. deception), and AoE. Conversely, the assassin is supposedly top or near top dps when specced for madness (though the sorcerer is not far behind), has stealth, and perhaps better mobility (phase walk).

Factors that are still unclear to me are CC (assassin better?) and the value of stealth. What benefit does stealth provide in combat? In Wildstar, attacks made by a stalker from stealth automatically crit. I have seen several assassin abilities that do not break stealth, but unless stealth provides an offensive or defensive bonus in combat, it would seem to me to be questionable benefit. Also, other than force cloak, does the assassin have any abilities to return to stealth while in combat?

yOboSayO
07.11.2014 , 12:26 PM | #4
TBH both are good, just really come down to if you want to play a range caster dps and having the abilities to heal or swap spec to heals, or play a melee dps class that have the ability to swap to tank.

current specs for both adv class is madness =| there are still quite a bit of deception (dps) assassin and lightening sorcs
Ybs Assassin Ybs Shadow

http://www.twitch.tv/yobsjr

xX-Archangel-Xx
07.11.2014 , 12:29 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Econometrix View Post
I am returning to SWTOR for first time since beta and am interested in playing an inquisitor. I understand that the sorcerer and assassin now perform comparably when specified for dps and in line with other classes. Can someone provide me with an overview of the pros and cons of each advanced class? I am looking to play PVE dps mainly. With regard to off-spec, I prefer healing over tanking, though I would not let this be the determining factor in selecting between the classes.
Make both, but start with sorcerer
< Bioware plz Nerf Mercs > Guild
TRE server
Game is balanced http://prntscr.com/962p0t /// http://prntscr.com/962mjr

yOboSayO
07.11.2014 , 12:30 PM | #6
assassins have only 1 stealth while in combat nothing else gets them into stealth besides force cloak, also the whirlwind ability if you spec into it. its instant CC, Sorcs is 0.5 i believe, and using force cloak or "vanish" imo have no right or wrong way to use it... defensive or offensive you can use
Ybs Assassin Ybs Shadow

http://www.twitch.tv/yobsjr

Econometrix
07.11.2014 , 01:17 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by yOboSayO View Post
assassins have only 1 stealth while in combat nothing else gets them into stealth besides force cloak, also the whirlwind ability if you spec into it. its instant CC, Sorcs is 0.5 i believe, and using force cloak or "vanish" imo have no right or wrong way to use it... defensive or offensive you can use
So what exactly does stealth do for the assassin while in combat? I understand that it can take the assassin OOC. It probably can also be used to facilitate positional attacks (e.g., maul), though I do not see a lot of these. I see no other benefits (e.g., auto-crit, offensive abilities that are enhanced when used from stealth). For the most part, it appears to be of more defensive benefit (e.g., get OOC, stealth past mobs).

TheRandomno
07.11.2014 , 01:40 PM | #8
So what exactly does stealth do for the assassin while in combat? I understand that it can take the assassin OOC. It probably can also be used to facilitate positional attacks (e.g., maul), though I do not see a lot of these. I see no other benefits (e.g., auto-crit, offensive abilities that are enhanced when used from stealth). For the most part, it appears to be of more defensive benefit (e.g., get OOC, stealth past mobs).
Stealth in combat, Mind Trap, Maul someone else while in stealth?

EDIT: Though that's PvP. In PvE, you can use it to escape if a mob focuses you.

Gardimuer
07.12.2014 , 01:41 AM | #9
Stealth is usefull for defensive reasons:

1) Leaving combat makes it so you can use your medpac more than once in a fight (very minor benefit, rarely useful).
2) Going into stealth completely drops your agro to 0, which can be a life saver in PvE. It also forces opponents in PvP to pick a new target for a few seconds, which can give you a new lease on life if you are the center of attention.

Stealth is also vital for increasing DPS in the Deception spec:

1) Being in stealth is a requirement for using Spike, a 2 second stun that is frequently used in PvP. Targets stunned by Spike take 6% more dmg from all sources.
2) Exiting stealth gives a temporary boost to force regeneration.
3) Stealthing out refreshes the cooldown of Blackout. When Blackout is used it restores some force and reduces dmg taken for 6 seconds.
4) Stealthing out reduces the cooldown of Recklessness by 60 seconds (the normal cooldown duration is 90 seconds). Recklessness is the main DPS boosting cooldown of Assassins, granting 70% higher crit chance on the next 2 Force attacks. In Deception spec it also grants 3 instant stacks of Static Charge, which increases the damage dealt by your Discharge attack.

Econometrix
07.14.2014 , 03:39 AM | #10
@Gard

Thanks, this was exactly the type of information I was looking for. It seems there are a few abilities that benefit offensively from stealth.