Over a month and still no help

Matt_Comtois

OK so its been about 5 weeks since I have seen the flame that comes out of my k-52's engine, I have 1 strong arm and one imp version. I have submitted several tickets and have had no reply, no help from staff. I am asking for it here. As mentioned I have 2 k-52s at first their engine flame showed then for whatever reason it stopped showing up. At first it was no big deal but now its aggro. For some reason the gunships FEELS different they feel too smooth and when I use engine boost the indicator shows I am travelling at full speed but it does not feel like I am or look like I've accelerated. Any suggestions? Edited by Matt_Comtois

Have you tried doing a repair on your install? It's possible something there got mucked up...

Other things I would look at would be my graphics settings. Have they been changed to the lowest common denominator? Failing that, maybe update the graphic card drivers.

Finally, and I wouldn't much want to do this, but a complete reinstall may end up clearing up the problem.

That's all I've got. I remember someone not too long ago saying something about the engine trail not reflecting the color reactant he was choosing, but it was still showing up, and not sure if it ever got resolved, and now I can't seem to find that thread...

Sorry I don't have better answers, but if it's annoying you at this point, then I'd try those things, pretty much in that order.

Is it just the 1 ship that has that problem? Or is it all of your ships?

I would imagine it is just another of the myriad of visual display bugs currently in-game. The list is absurdly long, most especially when you consider that some of the items with visual glitches are so high profile(eg: Satele Shan's Dualsaber/Shae Vizla's Chestpiece, and on and on)

Did you happen to have just switched your engine to Rotational Thrusters? I have not seen engine flame from a K-52 with Rotational Thrusters, I believe, since the K-52 entered the game, and that is across multiple computers, installs, & color modules. I have periodically submitted bug reports on this ever since I first noticed it so very long ago, & still no fix. Edited by Enurrsha

It's rotational thrusters. In my early gunship days (when the Jurgoran was added, which got me into gunship flying) i tried several builds with "old" gunships that mostly used fortress shield and rotational thrusters (or interdiction drive because it looks awesome on Quarrels and Comet Breakers :cool:). Once i put rotationals in my Demolisher, the engine trails disappeared. This is probably unintended, i can remember that the third engine on a snap turn Spearpoint was also "turned off" for quite some time. Which actually looked interesting imo, but the K-52 "steam engines" are really odd. :D Jurgoran with K-Turn also does not have engine trails i think, they're there in the hangar window, but ingame it looks like non-functional rotation thrusters (which are part of the base model, so basically it has no engine at all :rolleyes:). Edited by Ashkanie

Interesting. I'm going to be that's the solution to OP's query. We can add it to the list of cosmetic quirks with the cartel ships.

On the cartel ships, most of the component choices don't affect the model of the ship. This one, it would seem, does.

Rotational thruster is buggy for all T1 gunships, not just the cartel market ones. I don't own a single cartel market gunship on any toon because I get the T1 gunship for free on all of my toons as a long-time subscriber. Right after 3.0, when we lost the Disto lock break, I tried a different build on my gunships, with fortress shield and rotational thruster. This build was somewhat popular on Harbinger even before 3.0 but it took the loss of the lock break to give me the incentive to try it.

Everything seemed normal at the start of each game, but once I used rotational thruster in any given game, my engine would make no sound while boosting for the rest of that game. The first time this happened, I was really confused and I thought that somehow my ship was not boosting. But I looked at my power and throttle indicators, and I did have engine power, and it was getting consumed, and my throttle was at full power. I mentioned it to a friend, who said it was a "known bug" with rotational thruster, so I didn't bother reporting it in-game or mentioning it on the forums at the time.

I don't remember whether my engine trail was visible or not, but I may not have noticed if it wasn't visible: I am the kind of person who reacts a lot more strongly to sound cues than visual cues. I immediately notice and react to any change in sounds, while it takes me much longer to notice and react to visual cues. (A few weeks ago, my headset died, and I was unable to lock missiles or break missile locks until I got a new headset, even though there are enough visual cues in the game that I should have been able to do so).

Yep, you're right about Rotational Thrusters going "silent" on the Quarrel / Mangler. I've gotten so used to it that I didn't think to mention it before. In fact, I believe they may actually go "silent" on everything but I don't recall for sure, I have only seen the "engine fire" disappear on the K-52 models, and I pretty much fly everything - rep & imp side. Edited by Enurrsha