Carrie Fisher Memorials challenged on youtube by SME

RebelJedaii

:mad:

Can anyone explain this utter lack of courtesy and respect for mourning? These are vids players took while attending memorial service being taken down! I can't imagine a greater more appalling lack of respect for her or her fans. People did not steal their music, weren't even 'playing' the game but coming together in grief. And for no other reason than in game music was playing softly!

Now this wasn't my vid but I was there at that event and really appreciated having a memorial of it. To have it removed due to some greedy, selfish corporate lawyer infuriates me. I want to know who to complain to. And if it happened to one I shouldn't be surprised if it happens to others! Are we to be allowed no memory of this unique event but our grief?!

Not sure if this was the right thread for this but was certain the fans had a right to know.

Edited by RebelJedaii

if the music infringes policy (many sw themes do), yeah it's automatically gonna be muted or taken down. It's not like someone goes through all the videos and decides which ones to allow and which ones not to. swtor gameplay is fine on youtube. the easy solution is to mute the video, not monetize their video and/or use free music.

"Can anyone explain this utter lack of courtesy and respect for mourning" - you're talking about a computer system. A software package detected copyright music in the video and deemed it should be blocked/muted. If your AI can properly judge feelings I'm sure google would love to get in touch.

"I can't imagine a greater more appalling lack of respect for her or her fans." - again this is a computer system that asks "does it contain copyrighted music?" and decides yes/no. Not a person deciding to disrespect the passing of a wonderful actress. May she rest in peace.

It's not a "greedy, selfish corporate lawyer" trying to shut down your memorial... it's basic copyright. Sure you could write to ea/bw and ask for permission (for a noble cause) but it'll be way easier just to follow normal process and mute the video.

Edited by themachinemann

They seriously messed up the ContentID system.

If you infringe multiple publishers' copyrights (or even follow fair-use laws), you'll get multiple takedown requests. This means, practically, that the best way to not have your stuff taken down is to have stuff from as many publishers as possible in your movie.

The won't bother sorting out the deadlocks because it involves actual work and talking to other publishers. You'll still want to know and follow fair use law so they can't actually sue you over it.

The soundtrack of the original trilogy is copyrighted by Sony.

Guess even Lucasfilm has a license that allows them to use the classic starwars themes in their movies.

If you play SWTOR only tracks in your videos you're fine, otherwise SME will have them locked down very quickly.

Edited by Mubrak

If you play SWTOR only tracks in your videos you're fine, otherwise SME will have them locked down very quickly.

I have had this issue a few times with my TOR videos and always disputed the copyright claim by stating that it was actually part of the ingame music. The claims have always been cancelled.

I have had this issue a few times with my TOR videos and always disputed the copyright claim by stating that it was actually part of the ingame music. The claims have always been cancelled.

Yea anything in game will be resolved without issue, just make sure you tag and list it as in game in description (and that you are in fact in game).

I know people were using some movie footage, as well as her theme. Both will get yanked quick. Even news organizations have to legally get permission (and usually pay) to use footage and/or music.

EDIT: You could argue fair use, but it's really ticky tacky... It's a case by case basis, but if the copyright holder were to get overwhelmed, they would probably just blanket say no to any usage.

Edited by Psychopyro

It's not a "greedy, selfish corporate lawyer" trying to shut down your memorial... it's basic copyright. Sure you could write to ea/bw and ask for permission (for a noble cause) but it'll be way easier just to follow normal process and mute the video.

You can find the same music in different variations and even the same version on youtube but recently new uploads are getting hit by the "copyright" hammer. This is corporate selfish greed preventing decent content.

Just use the music of a free artist on youtube playing it with his own instruments and you give youtube the biggest middle finger. Problem solved.

:( In this case the problem was that it was a live stream. I believe a way was found around it.

I also think its a bad treatment of your fans, (no matter the company). I've bought music because I first heard songs in youtube vids (quite often Star Wars fan vids) that I'd never have heard. I'd thought they were supposed to get some common sense over that automated system after they lost a few lawsuits but I guess not. The Trade Federation in real life strikes again.

I want to know who to complain to.

That would be the legal owner of the copyright for materials that were used without permission. ;)

Basic IP law. If you want to use copyrighted material, you must obtain permission in writing first. The exception would be if said IP was placed in the public domain by the IP holder.

And automated detection systems exist precisely because it would be impossible to manually staff for the plethora of copyright abuse that takes place on the internet. They do sometimes create false positives. If you feel the automated system acted in error (in other words.. a false positive) then appeal it directly to the web property that squelched/removed said content.

Yacking and complaining about it here will do you no good... unless you are simply role playing for the pitchforks and torches routine in a gaming forum against "the man".

Shouldn't memorial tributes be private anyway, for those that were present, rather then making them spam on the internet? And why does it have to be a memorial tribute that uses copyrighted material without permission?