Q&A regarding separate maintenance times

Vrachara

Quote:

"Rtwozero - Any plans to implement region by region maintenance times?

Blaine Christine (Sr. Producer, Live Services): At this time there are no plans to implement separate maintenance times by region. Star Wars: The Old Republic is a global service with no restrictions on a player’s server choice.

Unfortunately the trade-off is that we have to maintain a single service environment, which leads to global maintenance periods. We are very sensitive to the fact that we are limiting play time once per week with a global scheduled maintenance.

We have carefully examined global peak times and the number of players affected by our planned downtime. Those of you that have been with us since launch may have noticed that the first few patches were scheduled at 4 AM CST; we very quickly adjusted to 2 AM CST. The reason for this adjustment was an analysis of the peak time play patterns by region that resulted in the current start time.

We understand that this is especially concerning to players in the European and newly opened Asia/Pacific server regions. We will always do our best to minimize the downtime, but it is the only way that we can perform critical service updates on the game client and on the game’s network infrastructure, underlying platform systems and so on.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to us – we will always listen and do our best to make adjustments when possible, but at this time, we have to move forward with a single global maintenance period."

Alright - so how about you guys switch that time so that it comes up in the middle of the night for European servers? Cause I'd just love to see the reaction you get from US/CA players over their servers being unavailable in the middle of the day.

There is absolutely no reason to do this. I appreciate the same forums, that's a good idea. But performing maintenance on both European and US servers at the same time is just ridiculous. I don't even get how it makes sense on your side, it's not like you have all your servers in one location, the EU servers are in Ireland, just have them start maintenance earlier so both EU and US have the same maintenance times considering the time zones.

You prattle on about watching peak times, but if you can look me in the text and tell me in the middle of the friggin' day is the lowest peak time for EU servers, I'm gonna have to call bullcrap on you. You might've adjusted those for the US servers peak time, but it's absolutely unfair to impose the same time on the EU servers (not to mention, again, I fail to see any sort of reasoning for it).

Edited by Vrachara

Quote:

"Rtwozero - Any plans to implement region by region maintenance times?

Blaine Christine (Sr. Producer, Live Services): At this time there are no plans to implement separate maintenance times by region. Star Wars: The Old Republic is a global service with no restrictions on a player’s server choice.

Unfortunately the trade-off is that we have to maintain a single service environment, which leads to global maintenance periods. We are very sensitive to the fact that we are limiting play time once per week with a global scheduled maintenance.

We have carefully examined global peak times and the number of players affected by our planned downtime. Those of you that have been with us since launch may have noticed that the first few patches were scheduled at 4 AM CST; we very quickly adjusted to 2 AM CST. The reason for this adjustment was an analysis of the peak time play patterns by region that resulted in the current start time.

We understand that this is especially concerning to players in the European and newly opened Asia/Pacific server regions. We will always do our best to minimize the downtime, but it is the only way that we can perform critical service updates on the game client and on the game’s network infrastructure, underlying platform systems and so on.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to us – we will always listen and do our best to make adjustments when possible, but at this time, we have to move forward with a single global maintenance period."

Alright - so how about you guys switch that time so that it comes up in the middle of the night for European servers? Cause I'd just love to see the reaction you get from US/CA players over their servers being unavailable in the middle of the day.

There is absolutely no reason to do this. I appreciate the same forums, that's a good idea. But performing maintenance on both European and US servers at the same time is just ridiculous. I don't even get how it makes sense on your side, it's not like you have all your servers in one location, the EU servers are in Ireland, just have them start maintenance earlier so both EU and US have the same maintenance times considering the time zones.

You prattle on about watching peak times, but if you can look me in the text and tell me in the middle of the friggin' day is the lowest peak time for EU servers, I'm gonna have to call bullcrap on you. You might've adjusted those for the US servers peak time, but it's absolutely unfair to impose the same time on the EU servers (not to mention, again, I fail to see any sort of reasoning for it).

majority rules. :rolleyes:

Hello everyone,

We know that a number of you wish to discuss the Q&A responses and in order to keep the discussion together we ask that everyone use this thread. This will help to ensure our forums are tidy and everyone can participate in the ongoing conversation. We will be closing this thread, feel free to carry on there!