Rolling need for the 'mods'

I was in a flashpoint and some dude rolled 'need' on a piece that was a major upgrade for me, even though it wasnt an upgrade for him and the stats werent as suited for him. I dont remember yhe exact ststs, but suffice to say he was not goiing to wear yhe piece, just crack the mods out.

This struck me as kind of odd, but he said that orange gear is only as good as the mods anyway.

What do you all think of this?

So he rolled it for a Companion? I mean bop oranges have mods that are still bound so only he can use the pieces from it

No, he rolled for himself, but only so he could crack out one or more of the mods. He was never going to equip the actual piece itself.

Because he was never going to put the piece on, it seemed a little odd to me. But, he said the oranges arent really relevant apart from their mods.

If thats how bioware inteneded this, i kind of wish the bosses dropped mods directly. I mean, I see the guys point, but it still seems a little weird. I didnt know if I was missing something, or if he was.

I think individual mods should be secondary. If he wasn't the same class then he would have no use for the same base stat as you. If he wanted the item for the mod(s) it should be discussed before a decision is made. It sounds like he brought it up but if I was him, the second you were to tell me that you need the entire outfit (i.e. all the mods not just one or two) I would have rolled greed or passed. It would be easier for him to find his one or two mods than it is for you to find and fill an orange piece. That's just me... Edited by Oawe

No, he rolled for himself, but only so he could crack out one or more of the mods. He was never going to equip the actual piece itself.

Because he was never going to put the piece on, it seemed a little odd to me. But, he said the oranges arent really relevant apart from their mods.

If thats how bioware inteneded this, i kind of wish the bosses dropped mods directly. I mean, I see the guys point, but it still seems a little weird. I didnt know if I was missing something, or if he was.

You seem to fully understand why he rolled on the item and what he was going to do with it. One might think that you need it more, or it was a bigger upgrade for you, but as far as I can tell from what you are saying it would be an upgrade for him too, so he has as much "right" to roll on it as you do. Nothing wrong with using the mod system to take out and move mods as you see fit.

You seem to fully understand why he rolled on the item and what he was going to do with it. One might think that you need it more, or it was a bigger upgrade for you, but as far as I can tell from what you are saying it would be an upgrade for him too, so he has as much "right" to roll on it as you do. Nothing wrong with using the mod system to take out and move mods as you see fit.

No, im nit sure i do fully understand. Thats why im asking.

Is it true that orange pieces only as good as the mods? Is there no reason to roll on an orange piece once you already have one, except to crack the mods? If thats true, then at some point, once you have all orange pieces, you pretty much need anything that has even a single mod upgrade for you, and the actual slot piece becomes irrelevant, making the stat comparison popup mostly useless.

I do not have a huge issue with people rolling on loot to pull mods out. The gear is only a skin with mods providing the stats. Either it being a full upgrade across the board or just through one mod being swapped-an upgrade is an upgrade and you earned the right to roll when you defeated the mob who dropped it.

A more significant issue that could come up is companions. People are worried that Dual Spec will cause people to get greedy with gear for their alternate spec (though your primary stat remains the same regardless), when in fact nothing can compare to the amount of needing on gear for companions that will most likely take place as the game ages. By the time you are nearing endgame, between yourself and your various companions you can use most things that drop.

In my experience, people are, more often then not, chiefly rolling on stuff they personally will use but i expect this to change. Companions are incredibly important while soloing. I have noticed that if I have not upgraded my companions gear in a while (even if my own is top notch) then I struggle taking on the stronger mobs while questing.

Is it true that orange pieces only as good as the mods? Is there no reason to roll on an orange piece once you already have one, except to crack the mods? If thats true, then at some point, once you have all orange pieces, you pretty much need anything that has even a single mod upgrade for you, and the actual slot piece becomes irrelevant, making the stat comparison popup mostly useless.

All gear is only as good as the components that make it up. Orange gear is pure armoring/mod/enhancement, yes: an orange piece with empty slots has absolutely 0 stats.

Even purple gear is just a combination of the different augments - though purple items have their armoring built directly in so you cant transfer/remove it.

Eh.

Orange gear is only as good as the mods in it. That being said, some orange gear comes with mods that are very hard to find, and difficult to make.

Some people roll orange gear because they like the looks, also.

However, most times there is a disassemble choice in the loot roll, which is intended for people who want to roll on the mods. As long as it's a big upgrade for him though, I can't really see the problem in it unless you went through the whole thing empty handed.

Example: doing a FP, orange armor drops, cool look , big upgrade for me. One of the other guys rolled need for it too, just for the mod +power. VERY irritating, as he couldn't use the base item.

2 minutes in, purple drops, minor upgrade for my armor but appearantly major for that guy. I roll need and win it and he freaks out, and I shrug. The moral of the story is need is for need, but some people see the threshold differently.

I'm one of those old schoolers that if I can't use it I usually pass.

Yes, once you have an orange piece (say a head), the only reasons to roll on another orange piece of the same slot is because you want the mods or because you like the look. An orange piece with zero mods has zero stats.

This is not true for purples though. They have mods, but they also have some kind of "invisible mod" that you can't remove, that gives them some stats.

Edited by Helagoth

Cool, thanks everyone.

I wonder, though, if this is the behavior they want if it woukd make more sense to drop an empty modded orange and then the mods separately.

Theres something unsatisfying about having two bosses in an instance drop a sweet legslot upgrade, and seeing the same guy need roll both. It also seems harder to quickly determine the extent of an upgrade because the compare tool only compares leg/leg, if Im not mistaken. Seems like this will lead to people pretty much ignoring the gear slot (legs, head, etc) when rolling and always rolling on any gear that is even partially an upgrade.

The items will always have your stat, so if he's a sorc rolling need on a BH item to pull the +power out of the enhancement (but vendoring the +aim in the armoring slot) than no, he should not be rolling on it. You really should not have to pull mods out of anything until 50, and even then you'd just use the mod to make your <126 rank gear suitable for HM's.

Higher level, the gear ~does~ have base stats when all the mods come out. At lower level, you shouldn't be bothering and should just wear the stuff that drops for your class. Besides, if he wanted the mods so bad he could just buy them from comindation vendors on any planet.

Moral of the story: I wouldn't group with him again.

However, most times there is a disassemble choice in the loot roll, which is intended for people who want to roll on the mods.

This is not true. Disassemble reduces the item to it's crafting parts.

I agree with the others here - rolling on an Orange simply for the mods is A.O.K.

In fact, because most appearances are copied on other Orange items, I would suggest that rolling on an Orange strictly for it's appearance should be prioritized lower than rolling for the mods.

But, I'm with LogicalPremise here, I roll greed on anything that I don't want to use personally - that includes companion gear.