Denova and other Operations Lag

Hey BioWare,

Nice to see so many people crammed onto a server, Prophecy of the Five is great, having a blast! Problem with it though is Operation instancing suffers from slight to horrible lag spikes, sometimes up to 4-5 seconds, IE: Toth's smash going off 5 seconds after he lands (opening pull), tank taunts and healing lags at about the same rate. Red aoe etc, it's quite a pain.

Several guilds are having the same issue and calling thier raids, whether they have Denova HM on farm or as progression, it's obviously causing more issues than some can handle. Are there any plans to take some of the empty servers and setting them up as instance/operation servers exclusively? Is this a planned to be fixed with the rumored "Mega Server?"

Regardless, please fix the lag issues in Operations..... thank you.

After wiping a few times the game will throw you into another instance of the operation and ta-da, You have to clear all the trash before the specific boss all over again. This EXTREMLY annoying when wiping due to a missed interrupt etc. on the 3rd boss.

What can cause even more wipes, which means even more trash to clear bewcause of the lag issues like you said. :(

Edited by _Zorth_

To get around that, just make sure someone in the party doesn't release until someone else has re-entered the instance. This happened to us twice last night in Denova last night until we figured out what was going on.

Yes that is also annoying, but please stay on topic, a thread mentioning Denova Instancing/Respawns is also on the forum.

Understood, but what else can we really contribute to this thread? Yes, the lag spikes are affecting the operations. But this post is really an open question to the dev team. Without the ability to read their minds, I'm not sure what we (as players) can add to this topic.

/Signed. We called our raid on the Tomb yesterday do to the lag. Rain check is today and I don't have high hopes that the situation will be any different. I can understand needing a couple of weeks to get the hardware side of things balanced after the population shifts but if the raiders can't start raiding again relatively soon they will simply leave.

On PoT5 it was really bad at times with intermittent 5 second delays and about a 1 second consistent delay in animation and ability action. The lag made playing as a caster nearly impossible. Fortunatly my guild has everything on farm and was able to clear everything. That being said, the lag last night was boarderline unplayable, especially for guilds working on progression.

Considering that 300+ people have been running Denova on Pot5 during prime time almost every day of the week, this might take some time to see it fade away. I wasn't even aware that they could zone instances like they do for planets but since that is already implemented, I can't think of any easy solution to this one. I would spaz out too if 10 guilds pulled Toth and Zorn at the same time forcing me to calculate all the AoE damage simultaneously.

We could try to get all the people running it to trigger Orbital Strkes/Death from Above/Force Storm all at the same time and see if we can crash the server. That might prompt BW to look into it.

I'd love to get a BW response on the lag players experienced last night, or at least acknowledgement of its existence. It's going to be very to hard to raid going forward if this is a common occurrence. :(

We noticed some pretty severe lag spikes last night hitting the entire raid, and then lots of individuals having issues where they would hit a keybind but the ability would not display or go off.

Yeah, we've been having horrendous issues with this at times.

Were doing Denova HM on tuesday, one of our dps (Arsenal Merc, full rakata) used to hit pretty high dps, was down to ~850 on zorn and toth and ~950 on FB / SC.

Reason? Insane ability lag. He was actually shooting stuff after it was dead (fired a heatseeker missile at toth after he was dead lolwut)

We thought he was exaggerating, but then it happened to my marauder alt as well. Was trying out the dps I had after hitting 50 with him, and my ability lagged so bad, I hit about 900 with him. Later that evening I tried again (same gear), and had no ability delay, was up to 1050-1100 ish.

Atm we're just coping with it, but can be scary today when we're gonna try Kephess for the first time on HM, and we might lack loads of dps because of ability lag...

Like you say about the lag spikes, hell yeah. They are hitting so hard at times, its mental. I thought it was just me (had it while questing, doing dailies etc), but I said it while we were in a raid, and the entire raid group said they got it. 2-3 seconds lagspikes can really mean life or death in a raid as unforgiving as HM Denova. Hope they do something about this, but meh, if they dont I still have more than 10 people to talk to on fleet at any given time :D

Experienced this on Tuesday as well while clearing 16 HM. The most I saw was five instances of EC. It was quite funny though as a healer, it keep me on the edge of my seat just hoping nobody got caught standing in stupid.

We also went back in Wednesday night to clear SM and with only one instance and 43 people, there was still quite a bit of lag.

HM EC was incredibly frustrating tonight as there was sooo much lag on the server (Nightmare Lands EU). We had 70 people in Denova and on Toth and Zorn there were pauses of about 5-6 seconds before the server caught up with what was actually happening, essentially wiping our tanks and us along with them on almost every attempt, some at ~5% - incredibly annoying. Currently the content is unplayable under these conditions. Please fix this. Edited by JamieM

The lag was bad on Tuesday, wasn't a problem at all on Wednesday. I think it was just an issue with it being the first Tuesday on the new servers, my guess is that it'll settle down a little on its own, and that BW will probably do server maintenance to help as well.

Our OPs (on Red Eclipse) still had a lot of lag spikes yesterday. On Kephess HM that can be a nuisance or annoying, depending on when it happens. I got a spike and killed myself with an AOE in the shielded Warriors phase... :rolleyes:

Still managed to kill him in a couple of tries but raiding is far less fun like this.

Edited by Whizzer_

Yep this has been terribly bad, I'm glad we have everything on farm because the 4-5 second lag delay is really bad. So frustrating. It would be nice to get confirmation that the dev team is aware and is looking to fix these issues. Silence only hurt your customers Bioware.

Just as an update/bump to this thread, the lag last night in Denova on Prophecy of the Five was even worse than last week. Obviously it was to be expected more people would be online after the release of a major patch, but it seems like nothing has been done to remedy the situation as a whole. Regardless of what instance of the operation you are in, the lag exists and is a real hassle for guilds both on farm (such as mine) and those trying to down bosses for the first time. Can we please get a dev update/response to this situation? If raiders are forced to play through these conditions week after week, including when new content comes out, I can't imagine them sticking around for very long. :(

Just as an update/bump to this thread, the lag last night in Denova on Prophecy of the Five was even worse than last week. Obviously it was to be expected more people would be online after the release of a major patch, but it seems like nothing has been done to remedy the situation as a whole. Regardless of what instance of the operation you are in, the lag exists and is a real hassle for guilds both on farm (such as mine) and those trying to down bosses for the first time. Can we please get a dev update/response to this situation? If raiders are forced to play through these conditions week after week, including when new content comes out, I can't imagine them sticking around for very long. :(

Didn't you hear? This is the new Nightmare mode version of EC. Instant 30% packet loss and random lag spikes throughout each encounter.

All kidding aside, yes the lag is bad and made fights like Vorgath and Kephess pretty difficult because it would seem to want to lag at critical times of Overload casting, or Gift/Breath. We had a no joke 3 second lag spike on Stormcaller, but it was right at the beginning so all was ok. You think 3 seconds isn't a long time, but just take a bit and count it out. It is a big deal.

We still cleared it all in one night, and would have had NP down as well but Mox just beat us to Voss.

Didn't you hear? This is the new Nightmare mode version of EC. Instant 30% packet loss and random lag spikes throughout each encounter.

All kidding aside, yes the lag is bad and made fights like Vorgath and Kephess pretty difficult because it would seem to want to lag at critical times of Overload casting, or Gift/Breath. We had a no joke 3 second lag spike on Stormcaller, but it was right at the beginning so all was ok. You think 3 seconds isn't a long time, but just take a bit and count it out. It is a big deal.

We still cleared it all in one night, and would have had NP down as well but Mox just beat us to Voss.

Our lag seemed to always happen right as the shields came out of Stormcaller and Firebrand, such that we couldn't tell where they were spawning, and then they would suddenly appear. This caused at least 1 person to either die or a whole group to take significant damage. After wiping a few times, we just called it in frustration. We generally have a low tolerance to wiping due to lag on bosses we've been farming for months. Hopefully the lag is less than terrible tonight.

Our guild had this same problems.

Activating an Ability, GC activated, Ability Not Activated, Rinse Repeat hoping your ability gets casted.

We're a fully decked out guild with Campaign gear and we've been farming Denova for months now, and last night the lag was so bad we couldn't even get Zoth and Torn down due to the delays happening with the bosses..

Edited by PunisherAS

We've seen some considerable lag during ops since moving to The Bastion. Luckily it has not stopped us from clearing, but it is frustrating, and spamming interrupts while that Overload cast keeps going is really fun :)

But yeah, everything reported above. 1 to 4 second lag spikes, GCDs triggered with no ability activation, Kephess ping pong, etc.