Sniper PVP

BonnerFett

Be prepare for hold your position for long time, so you need to be focus on your positioning

I personally like Marksmanship for AoE DMG mitigation from Siege Bunker (up to 60% mitigation, hello Rage/Focus spec)

Engineer has a funny trick called a Wall Bang

Also, check this:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL72p5IDpPmYfyY_On_2DVLbX_tOaBa5Bx

It's old but still very handy

Edited by TriviumCoRe

Snipers are good in normal warzones. Lethality is pretty good (unless the opposing team has a healer that knows how to cleanse). That said, dont even think of entering a ranked arena with a sniper. You'll get raped in 2 seconds.

Well that really stinks. Why do they suck in ranked arena?

Snipers are great in regs. From my experience in pre-season 1 I don't think they are very good in ranked relative to the other classes I played pre-season 1. However, I don't like deathmatch in non-fps's and so I haven't done much ranked season 1 on my other classes.

I did want to gear up my sniper in season 1 though and it was the only class I did ranked on. I reached 1500 in less than 15 matches and so I would say it is not weak either. If you like the playstyle then go with it or if you only care about regs then it is a GREAT class. Otherwise go with an easy ranked class such as ptech/sin/jug/healop.

Nearly all classes are decent in Ranked. It is the composition of your team and the enemies team which decides that, not the general state of the class itself.

That Sniper rocks in normal WZs is given... it's just not that easy to learn and feels different from other ranged classes.

I think it's a fun class and no worse than some of the other AC'es when I play it but to be completely honest, 100 % of the snipers I come across are garbage. I only know of one sniper that is able to put up big numbers and it's a lethality sniper who spams every warzone he comes across. He's not killing anything and he dies the second you look at him funny.

tl:dr It has a lot of potential, for normals atleast, but for some unexplainable reason I never come across anyone good at it.

Snipers/guns good on warzones, but not good on arenas cuz cannot h2f, cannot run away, have not cleanse, cannot kite and have not force barrier. They die like flies under focus fire.

uh...that kite part is very misleading. marksman cannot kite. it's the most ideal (ability-wise) turret spec in the game, but sniper does have an excellent kite tree. I think it's engineering (middle tree) that has an extra roll and drops an aoe dot+slow. the roll is immune to pulls so the spec is (or can be) kryptonite for mos melee.

why ppl say you're not good for ranked is that ranked "teams" focus targets much more efficiently than regs, and snipers don't have one really big mitigation dcd. but they do have a lot of options. it's really a matter of anticipation. if you can time the burst (adrenal, eggshell), roll), then you actually have plenty of survivability. entrenching before a stealth can open on you is a bit of an art as well. the AC itself, however, is perfectly viable in ranked. I assume you'll be doing yolo as it's more forgiving (less competitive) than premade ranked. in this case, sniper is as good as the player playing it. I cannot say the same, for example, in regard to op dps.

bear in mind that almost every ranged class/spec requires a different approach than the more traditional/easier melee. positioning is vital. positioning as an individual and positioning as a team strat. you not only have to worry about line of sight, but also be in a place with limited approaches and one in which your knock back can be used to maximum effect. but you also need an escape plan/route. you want to keep your melee between yourself and your target. you are going to be the most effective peeler for your healer because you don't have to move to CC or dps down the guy harassing your heals.

TL; DR: sniper is fine. don't get locked into the turret spec. ranged in pve is easy mode. ranged in pvp requires a lot more consideration about team strat and environmental variables.

Edited by foxmob

I feel old, what does ERPVP mean?

I think it's a fun class and no worse than some of the other AC'es when I play it but to be completely honest, 100 % of the snipers I come across are garbage. I only know of one sniper that is able to put up big numbers and it's a lethality sniper who spams every warzone he comes across. He's not killing anything and he dies the second you look at him funny.

tl:dr It has a lot of potential, for normals atleast, but for some unexplainable reason I never come across anyone good at it.

There's a few decent snipers on TRE, perhaps you just don't the class well enough to identify them. And for the record that's not meant to come across as negative criticism.

For sage/sorc sniper always was easy kill.

As a player who's actively pvp'd with sniper since 1.2 I would humbly suggest you go operative. 2.7 has been quite harsh to the Sniper. The fail safe covered escape can now be interrupted so tanks can keep you close by and smashers have you in saber length. You are the first on the list of an organized teams kill list.

What you will also find incredibly frustrating is that your team will seldom offer you heals and the guard you see other snipers get on premades will never come your way. Flash Bang which was once your ally from the group melee dps attacks allowing you to slip away is no more. You have to bear the brunt of their attacks leaving you often times with half health.

Also, all of the four person arenas work against the sniper but nothing more than the new huttball map Quesh which will come up one out of three warzones.

But don't listen to me pick the noble sniper but when you get frustrated please come back to your post and see if any of the above checks true.

Good Luck, Your Gonna Need It :rak_03:

As a player who's actively pvp'd with sniper since 1.2 I would humbly suggest you go operative. 2.7 has been quite harsh to the Sniper. The fail safe covered escape can now be interrupted so tanks can keep you close by and smashers have you in saber length. You are the first on the list of an organized teams kill list.

What you will also find incredibly frustrating is that your team will seldom offer you heals and the guard you see other snipers get on premades will never come your way. Flash Bang which was once your ally from the group melee dps attacks allowing you to slip away is no more. You have to bear the brunt of their attacks leaving you often times with half health.

Also, all of the four person arenas work against the sniper but nothing more than the new huttball map Quesh which will come up one out of three warzones.

But don't listen to me pick the noble sniper but when you get frustrated please come back to your post and see if any of the above checks true.

Good Luck, Your Gonna Need It :rak_03:

Ok... not looking good for the sniper in pvp...

I main Sniper, Scoundrel, Shadow, and Sentinel. All are fun to play. Each have their own mechanic. And all are viable in Warzones. It really depends on how competitive you want to get IMO. In more competitive WZ I notice Sorc/Sage are OP along with Scoundrel/Op for heals and survivability. Jugs/Guardians Sent/Marra, Sniper/Slingers are pretty much on the same playing field as far as I can tell. Each have their strengths. To be honest with you WZ aren't particularly fun playing just one class. You kinda got to play them all to really get a kick out of them at least that is the case for me.

Don't listen to these people man. You started a thread about it, clearly like the AC and thought of running it for pvp; DO give it a try. Sniper is as strong as the player playing it, as with all other classes. Plenty of snipers in the Bastion server did very well in solo ranked and the top notch snipers do get invited to 4v4 ranked, and WIN. For a sniper, it is that much more important to run with the right team. Edited by Seengularity

Don't listen to these people man. You started a thread about it, clearly like the AC and thought of running it for pvp; DO give it a try. Sniper is as strong as the player playing it, as with all other classes. Plenty of snipers in the Bastion server did very well in solo ranked and the top notch snipers do get invited to 4v4 ranked, and WIN. For a sniper, it is that much more important to run with the right team.

Thanks man.

I'm going to give it a try!

Yes, I echo what seengularity said. It's a great support class, which implies you are stronger if you have another player watching your back just as you'd watch theirs. This of course can be applied to any team-setting, but I'd say it's far more important for a sniper to peel for his healer and to also get peels from other DPS/tanks.

In my experience, snipers are tough to play in ranked 4v4 since they're squishy and tend to get focused, but they're viable.

I've been playing Gunslinger/Sniper since early access, which is to say I've played it too much. I primarily run SS/MM and am proficient with DF/Lethality. I prefer SS/MM since I have burst on-demand and don't have to worry about energy too much. However, I do need to stay in cover more often to maintain energy regen.

I have also seen lethality snipers doing lots of damage while having very few kills. Some players only care about damage obviously so they're deluding themselves if they think they're good by spamming easily-healed fluff damage everywhere. On the other hand, I can attain 20 killing blows while only dealing 500k damage in a match. Efficiency seems to be a foreign concept in this game.

Basically, I have two goals when it comes to DPS'ing:

1) put pressure on danger targets (free-casting healers or melee DPS beating on my healer, for example)

2) finish off targets of opportunity

With good support, I'm able to get kills more easily but I generally will top the match in # of killing blows if I'm fighting at the contested node.

Quick positioning tips:

* try to save your roll; don't use it offensively against tough opponents

* make sure your targets don't have an easy time breaking LoS from you

* if you have other ranged DPS, position yourself away from them if possible so your team has multiple angles of attack (makes it more difficult for enemy to LoS)

* always try to stay at maximum range if possible

* if your target retreats beyond your range, DO NOT CHASE (best way to get yourself killed)

* always peel for your healers; you should be 'near' them at all times, although don't stack on top unless you are trying to use your knockback

TL;DR l2read

Sniper do very well in normal wz. With all kind of speccs. In Solo Ranked u need to be full lethalty, maybe eng/leth hybrid and two-set bonus shield-probe and evasion. Very important that u rush to slow the enemy with corrosive granade. hopefully u got a tank by ur side that shield u for the first hits. When u survived it, everything should be fine. Full MM, full eng, hybrid mm/eng is not worth it to play in solo ranked. u get killed in 5gcd.

Sniper do very well in normal wz. With all kind of speccs. In Solo Ranked u need to be full lethalty, maybe eng/leth hybrid and two-set bonus shield-probe and evasion. Very important that u rush to slow the enemy with corrosive granade. hopefully u got a tank by ur side that shield u for the first hits. When u survived it, everything should be fine. Full MM, full eng, hybrid mm/eng is not worth it to play in solo ranked. u get killed in 5gcd.

I started a sniper. Got him to level 21. Having a blast so far... hope things don't change when I hit 55.