Please make a function that allows you to put on and take off the hoods in any armor

Paincroft

Good day! I am your subscriber and player from Ukraine. I'm your fan. I want to be heard. Please make a hood in the jedi survivalist armor set! I have one more suggestion (I apologize in advance if I write in the wrong place). BUT! Not so long ago, you made a function that allows you to take off and put on a helmet or any headgear. I have been playing your game for a long time but I noticed that in many armor sets, there are hoods that simply cannot be put on or removed. I ASK YOU TO DO IN THE FOLLOWING UPDATE A FUNCTION THAT WILL ALLOW TO PUT ON (ON) AND REMOVE THE HOOD IN ANY ARMOR SETS. :)

Many fans will be pleased with this feature in the game. I am sure this will revive the game with even more players.

Edited by Paincroft

Good day! I am your subscriber and player from Ukraine. I'm your fan. I want to be heard. Please make a hood in the jedi survivalist armor set! I have one more suggestion (I apologize in advance if I write in the wrong place). BUT! Not so long ago, you made a function that allows you to take off and put on a helmet or any headgear. I have been playing your game for a long time but I noticed that in many armor sets, there are hoods that simply cannot be put on or removed. I ASK YOU TO DO IN THE FOLLOWING UPDATE A FUNCTION THAT WILL ALLOW TO PUT ON (ON) AND REMOVE THE HOOD IN ANY ARMOR SETS. :)

Many fans will be pleased with this feature in the game. I am sure this will revive the game with even more players.

They are unlikely to add a hood to an existing set that doesn't have it, because they don't want to annoy people who already have it and like it the way it is. I happen to like that set with its hood *down*, as it is now, and I would not be happy if they changed it.

If they were to add a new set that looked the same except that the hood is up ("Hooded Jedi Survivalist"?), sure, why not?

All "up" hoods can be hidden by helmets that have the "Hides Hood" property. Check this page on TOR-Fashion:

http://tor-fashion.com/category/database/item-types/armor-2/appearance/head/hides-hood-yes/

They are unlikely to add a hood to an existing set that doesn't have it, because they don't want to annoy people who already have it and like it the way it is. I happen to like that set with its hood *down*, as it is now, and I would not be happy if they changed it.

If they were to add a new set that looked the same except that the hood is up ("Hooded Jedi Survivalist"?), sure, why not?

All "up" hoods can be hidden by helmets that have the "Hides Hood" property. Check this page on TOR-Fashion:

http://tor-fashion.com/category/database/item-types/armor-2/appearance/head/hides-hood-yes/

Well, i like that set the way it is too and would really not be happy if it became hood up, as i really hate the stupid hoods as they turn all characters bald, except for Twi'lek, Togrutas and Nautolans.

Problems with the helmets that hide hoods for me :

- most of them are trully ugly

- I don't necessarily want to wear a helmet, i spend time creating my characters, and that's clearly not to hide their faces behind masks or helmets

- the helmet disapear in some cutscenes turning the character bald again in the worst moment anyways...

Best solution, to me would be to either create 2 torso part for outfits, one with the hood up, one with the hood down / no hood at all, or to add a toggle to hide the hood just like some species turn the hood off.

Edited by Goreshaga

It is not a function. Your request requires a complete re-design of the character wireframe topology for every species/class/gender/hood type/hair type/body type.

While only concept art, this wireframe topology of Darth Revan illustrates my point.

Notice how the head and the hood are all part of the same geometry (the reason why no hooded characters in SWTOR display hair). The head/hood is a single geometrical arrangement. "toggling the hood up or down" means replacing the entire head slot and watching out to be sure that the "down" hood version doesn't clip any of the dozens of hair styles.

What Bioware did was build heads in such a way that a character's scalp is the hook for a "hair" helmet, a "hood helmet", or a "helmet," depending, and this is why you only see one of any of those at a time. Decorative headbands that cross the forehead permit the hair because the clipping into the hair is acceptable for a headband. Clipping is not acceptable for a helmet (and you can have a band + hood up configuration at the moment, but again, no hair).

So, as you can see by the wireframe, the whole arrangement would need to be reworked, not simply set up some sort of toggle, and the rework is necessarily because of the original approach they took to headgear/hair/hoods.

Also, it appears to me at least that some of the hoods are actually part of the chest slot item, adding to the complexity.

Adding a hood toggle means a lot of engineering for a game that has slightly less than 36 months of life left to it (unless Disney renews the 10-year contract).

Just to give you an idea of the frustration, I created a backward baseball cap mesh for child sims to wear in Sims 4.

I had a devil of a time getting the mesh to fit correctly (without clipping) over several different hair styles, and I was only dealing with one body style geometry, not multiple, as in SWTOR.

Edited by xordevoreaux

or to add a toggle to hide the hood just like some species turn the hood off.

For the problem of "hood visibility", this is ultimately the best solution.

The bald-under-hood problem doesn't have an easy solution(1), although as xordevoreau notes, it's also problematic for helmets.

(1) Above all, it can't be just some pulled-back hair because that would look weird in three cases:

* The character's actual hair is a different colour. The Secret World gets this right for helmets / hats(2), but it's something the designers would have to include.

* The character's hair slider is set to e.g. something with shaved or corn-rowed sides that *should* be visibly still there.

* The character is set to be actually bald (possibly with a "stubble" complexion) or the character is a Rattataki.

None of those things are absolute obstacles that would prevent them building such a thing. I mention them merely to highlight the sort of thing that has to be included in a solution to "bald-under-hood".

(2) Like this:

* My haracter showing her hair with ponytail: https://i.imgur.com/Laib8LB.jpg

* My character wearing a hat where her hair is still visbile: https://i.imgur.com/JPVIvtG.jpg

For the problem of "hood visibility", this is ultimately the best solution.

The bald-under-hood problem doesn't have an easy solution(1), although as xordevoreau notes, it's also problematic for helmets.

(1) Above all, it can't be just some pulled-back hair because that would look weird in three cases:

* The character's actual hair is a different colour. The Secret World gets this right for helmets / hats(2), but it's something the designers would have to include.

* The character's hair slider is set to e.g. something with shaved or corn-rowed sides that *should* be visibly still there.

* The character is set to be actually bald (possibly with a "stubble" complexion) or the character is a Rattataki.

None of those things are absolute obstacles that would prevent them building such a thing. I mention them merely to highlight the sort of thing that has to be included in a solution to "bald-under-hood".

(2) Like this:

* My haracter showing her hair with ponytail: https://i.imgur.com/Laib8LB.jpg

* My character wearing a hat where her hair is still visbile: https://i.imgur.com/JPVIvtG.jpg

Yup, i think so too.

Sad thing is that the "bald under hood" was not as visible with the older hoods that were hiding more of the head / face than the newer ones, so it would no be as much a problem if it was less visible that the character is actually bald under the hood.

It's less of a problem for helmets as you can actually choose not to show them, which you currently can't do with hoods, which is why i'd really love an option to make hoods invisible.

There are a lot of outfits i'd love for my characters or their companions to wear but with the way the hoods turn them bald, my only options are :

- use them on Twi'lek / Nautolan / Togruta. Problem is that i don't want to play only these 3 species and some outfit don't suit them

- use them on characters who are already bald / shaved, but that still excludes Zabraks as it removes their horns too

- don't use them at all. Well at least this option is the cheapest one