An odd question about group missions

I started this game right at the beginning, one of the first to join the original forums, and so on, launch day player.

In the rush to get on I ended up on a server away from most of my friends, and played mostly solo as a result. Then came the exodus and I found myself on a server where it was very difficult to find a group to do anything even if I wanted, so I concentrated on the story aspect and leveled a few toons all solo.

I've come back to the game with the galactic stronghold thing, and after server mergers and so on that took place I am on a fairly busy server the red eclipse, and after getting used to the changes and playing with my new apartments, I've mostly been running daily missions to get my 3 level 55 toons some half decent equipment from the basic vendors.

Here is my problem. I have never done any flashpoints or operations in this game. I have no idea what to expect and do not really know how any of them work, is there a route I should take to get me into this aspect of the game, its going to be PUG groups, I suppose through the group finder, but I don't really know where I should start.

I started this game right at the beginning, one of the first to join the original forums, and so on, launch day player.

In the rush to get on I ended up on a server away from most of my friends, and played mostly solo as a result. Then came the exodus and I found myself on a server where it was very difficult to find a group to do anything even if I wanted, so I concentrated on the story aspect and leveled a few toons all solo.

I've come back to the game with the galactic stronghold thing, and after server mergers and so on that took place I am on a fairly busy server the red eclipse, and after getting used to the changes and playing with my new apartments, I've mostly been running daily missions to get my 3 level 55 toons some half decent equipment from the basic vendors.

Here is my problem. I have never done any flashpoints or operations in this game. I have no idea what to expect and do not really know how any of them work, is there a route I should take to get me into this aspect of the game, its going to be PUG groups, I suppose through the group finder, but I don't really know where I should start.

What is your role? Tank, healer or DPS?

If DPS, there are a few simple rules you can follow: always let the tank pull; kill weakest mobs, then strong, then elite, then champions (this is called following the kill order); always kill mobs first who are slapping the healer around; never break CC.

If healer, group role is simple: let tank pull first, keep everyone topped off during fights.

If tank, start over (by which I mean roll a brand new tank and, while leveling, do LOTS of group content). Learning the tank role by starting at 55 sounds like a recipe for disaster. Tank is the most demanding role and one of the things it demands is thorough knowledge of how the game (and group content) works.

You can read the "Weird People You Meet In Groupfinder" thread for some laughs, but also to find out what things annoy people the worst (then don't do those things, presumably).

Well, hello there. :)

It would help a lot knowing what class and role you are planning to begin with, mostly because every role plays differently and every class has a special approach at each role. But for starters, a couple of pointers.

First of all, no matter your class and role, I suggest you try to find videos or something about the content you'll be facing. Seeing at how you say you have 3 lvl 55 chars, I assume you'll begin with 50+ content.

The main reason I suggest it is, that even with a good team, if you don't know what to expect you'll be constantly anxious to not drag them down. I find it easier if I at least know a couple hints beforehands. ;)

Plus, say you're on your first run even if you saw the most detailed videos on the matter, that's extremely important. Nothign can replace first hand experience. :D

Then, the kill order.

As DPS you'll want to strike at the weakest mobs first, moving towards the strongest one gradually. Also, if an enemy goes straight for your healer, you'll want to prioritize it. And don't worry about said enemy focusing you, just move towards the Tank and you'll see the enemy will lose interest very fast. Also, use your threat drops. ;)

Reason for that killing order is, that it's far easier to survive a big mean droid shooting at you, rather than 30 small ones doing the same. Use of CCs (Crowd Controls) and Stuns also helps. CCs being those 1 minute stuns that break on damage. Just be careful not to CC a mob in the middle of the group, or someone will break said CC. ;)

As Tank things are different. You'll want the mobs to focus on you as much as possible, so you'll be trying to keep them together while you AoE (Area of Effect, in this case you'll use your AoE attacks) them down. You'll be focusing the strongest mob while also hitting the others occasionally.

As Healer your top priority is to keep the others alive. So you'll have to prioritize your healings towards the teammate lowest in health, and to avoid enemy AoEs on the floor. This last one is a rule for all roles btw.

As a plus, I took a Merc Healer up to 55 myself, and realized something: apart from mechanics, Cleansing is a good thing to do always, because it saves up a lot of healing work. As long as it won't get someone killed, you'll find that Cleansing that DoT (Damage on Time) from the teammate that has it will make your next heal count more, because your teammate's health won't decrease as fast.

Then, loot rolls.

As always, when you kill mobs and bosses some gear pieces could drop, and sometimes even something else. Now, the rules I follow by default go like this: if it's a green piece of equipement, or a non moddable one in general, I Greed on it (button with the Credits' symbol); if it's something I can use on my character and that is an improvement from what I already have, I Need on it (Dice button). Sometimes I pass, if I think someone else deserves it more than I do. Materials I Need only if I have a use for them, regardless of how rare they are. Decorations I Need aswell, unless I have it already, in which case I Greed it.

Last point, gear. You will want to be at the proper gear for hte content you'll be facing. As such, I suggest you to have a look at the Mission Log, before actually queuing for something. You'll see, especially in Weeklies regarding FPs and Operations, a Recommended Gear Lever number. That's the rating. If your armor, weapons and equipment reflects such value or is above it, you're ready for said content. You can see it by hovering over your equipment in the Character Window. On the description there's a voice that, unless I'm mistaken, is named Average Rating, or something like that. That's the number you're looking for. May be wrong on the name, but reading the decription should be explicative enough. :rolleyes:

Group finder can be a source of good runs aswell as horrible ones. But it's the only way to go. As such, well... Be always ready for the worst, but don't expect it right off the bat. :o

There'd be much more to say, mostly because as you said you're quite new to group content... But I assume this will be a good start. Enjoy! And, well... As usual, sorry for lenght. :cool:

To be fair if you just say that you are first timer 90% of people will explain what is needed or tell you to follow someone or something. Just don't stand in bad and kill stuff (I assume you're a DPS). Be nice, talk to people, ask and you'll be fine. If someone is being an arsehole ignore him :) Edited by AAAAzrael

To be fair if you just say that you are first timer 90% of people will explain what is needed or tell you to follow someone or something. Just don't stand in bad and kill stuff (I assume you're a DPS). Be nice, talk to people, ask and you'll be fine. If someone is being an arsehole ignore him :)

Quite true. I never have an issue explaining things to a first timer. Chances are that he'll take the advice as long as it's given in a non-condescending manner and then there's one more happy customer queueing.

When I first started playing SWTOR someone took me aside AFTER completing lowbie Maelstrom Prison and explained to me all the tricks of shadow tanking. Later on when I was already decently competent tank one of the healers from then top progression group dragged me into their TS and explained all the tricks and details of tanking, DPSing and healing TFB HM (then it was top content). I wouldn't be where I got so far if they didn't take their time. I never mind explaining or helping or whatever if people actually give sign they give a damn and try to do better. I do have less and less patience for people who don't give a damn and make doing any content (including PVP) a horrible experience for myself and others. (I guess this is called becoming a "broken veteran" in MMO)

Hi Voblat,

I'm on the Red Eclipse as well and just wanted to tell you that on our server it is fairly easy to get into endgame group content. Other posters have already given you some useful advice about doing group content in general, for example learning about your role, loot rules and how to upgrade your gear. There are also plenty of guides on the internet.

The Red Eclipse is quite active and during the day and of course during prime time there are always people looking for members for Story Mode operation groups and first timers are usually welcome and get quick explanations of what they have to do in a particular boss fight. Yet, people expect you to bring a certain minimum level of gear to Story Mode ops which is usually judged by a quick look at your HP. So, your HP should be at least somewhere around 27k - 30k and people will be absolutely fine with it. Best way to get a basic gear set is to do the Oricon story line and some flashpoints.

On the fleet you usually find people looking for players to join there 16M SM runs, but since groupfinder operations now give conquest points you can also find those on the fleet and I really recommend joining those, because they are 8M and you get a better look how each boss fight in an operations works.

There are also some nice and friendly social guilds on the server that you might wanna join if you want to do group content on a regular basis. Just ask people you meet in flahspoints and who seem alright to you. At the moment almost every guild is recruiting due to the conquest stuff.

Of course, if you join pugs a lot, you will meet some bad or rude players. But in my expirience most Story Mode pugs are friendly and capable of helping you through your first run of an operation. 1 out of 10 SM pug runs might suck, but just don't worry about it. So if you see some LFM messages on fleet, don't hesitate to join them and let them know you're a first timer. Then it's gonna be fine...

Edited by Rithoma

Thank you for all the advice guys, much appreciated.

I have a variety fo characters, mostly hybrids for solo play, my sorcerer has a bit of damage and healing for instance and my powertech is damage and a bit of tank for solo survivability, although my Marauder is an out and out DPS. Given the hybrids probably are not best optimized for group play, I would concentrate on the marauder for that I would think.

I've been playing MMO's since everquest so the mechanics are not so much the issue, sorry should have been a bit clearer.

I'm not sure where to start in terms of which operations or flashpoint I should go for at the beginning. I've looked at groupfinder and as a 55 I seem restricted to certain ones, and I'm looking for recommendations as to which operation or flashpoint I should start with, is there a 'best route' through the various options.

do some random L55 FP's for gear and when you're not getting anything then HM L55's FP's.

Operations run in such an order in terms of gear requirement and difficulty:

Eternity Vault (EV) SM

Karraga's Palace (KP) SM

Explosive Conflict (EC) SM

EV HM

KP HM

EC HM

EV NiM

KP NiM

EC NiM (this is significantly harder and I suggest you wait with trying it until you have at least done TFB/S&V HM)

Terror From Beyond (TFB) SM

Scum and Villainy (S&V) SM

Dread Fortress (DF) SM

Dread Palace (DP) SM (this one is a bit harder then previous one - might need slightly more gear then DF)

TFB, S&V HM

DF, DP HM

TSB, S&V NiM (those drop worse gear but are significantly harder then DF/DP HM)

DF, DP NiM

I suggest you do SM versions first in order I have provided. Look into class duides on Dulfy and learn at least right and left skill trees specs on your DPS :)

If you ever get to L55 NiM's you'll be in raiding guild by that time anyway and won't need our advise here ;)

If you want to follow the story line and story arcs throughout the endgame content, the above given order is the correct one. It also makes sense if you want to gradually increase the difficulty.

If you just want to do ops for the sake of playing group content, it doesn't really matter which order you follow. Classic operations (Lvl 50) are outdated anyway, and are just facerolled by any group. The four Lvl 55 ops (TFB, S&V, DF, DP) are pretty much all the same level of difficulty on Story Mode, while DF and DP require more tactics to handle the mechanics. Yet, the basic gear level I mentioned above will make you ready for any of them.

The route TFB -> S&V -> DF -> DP is certainly the safest to get adjusted to the basic mechanics this game provides, but it is certainly not mandatory to follow this route. So, it's pretty much up to you. Just stay away from Hard Mode ops (except the Lvl 50 ones) at them moment. You will need optimized gear to do them and it is not a good idea to try them with pugs. If you want to proceed to HM ops at some point, you might wanna join a raiding guild that will introduce you to them. Then the above given route is more important since TFB and S&V HM drop Underworld gear (168 set bonus with good stats) which should be your minimum gear level to proceed to DF/DP HM. But it will take several weeks to get there.

Edit: If you want to get into HM ops, it is probably the best to gear up one of your characters first and then do farm run with it to get gear for your other characters from those HM ops. In these guild farm runs you are usually allowed to need on gear tokens for your alts and you can send it to them via legacy gear. This will probably be faster than trying to gear up all your characters at the same time.

And yes, groupfinder operations are limited to one specific. It's a cycle and the operations that is available in groupfinder changes every few days or so. Yet, it is probably easier to check general on the fleet for people looking for others to form a group and then join groupfinder with a full group already. It is certainly better than to queue solo and just wait for the pop. You'll have to be really lucky to get a pop quickly.

Edited by Rithoma