Which book to choose?

Start with Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command, collectively known as The Thrawn Trilogy and widely regarded as one of the benchmark stories in the Expanded Universe. Heir To The Empire was recently republished for a 20th anniversary edition, with special commentary from the author.

The X-wing books are good also if you want to see more jokes (Wes Janson is awesome)

^This

Also Shadows of the empire[happens between ESB and ROTJ] and Truce At Bakura [happens directly after ROTJ] are two good ones.

Courtship of princess leia[recommend you read the X-wing books first up till Solo command].

I Jedi and the Jedi Academy seriies with the force Ghost Exar Kun.

Darth Bane Trilogy, shows how the Sith went to the rule of 2.

Start from the beginning of the timeline... It's easy to find online.

They just started a new series called Dawn of the Jedi, based on a comic series. I am really looking forward to the future books in this series.

You should read the Revan book and other Old Republic books if you play this game.

Already suggested earlier, but i have to second the Darth Bane trilogy. While i have to admit I'm a little biased towards Sith-centric stories, the Bane trilogy is my favorite of all the SW books I've read.

For someone new to the books, I'd also reccomend "Dark Lord," which follows Darth Vader in his first days after becoming Vader and suffering his burns, as well as the story of some of the Jedi that were stranded out in the Galaxy after Palpatine ordered the clones to turn on them. I think this is a good one for beginners to the book series because it takes some characters and events you're already familiar with and helps fill in some of the gap between Episodes III and IV, while at the same time introducing you to some of the depth you get to experience in the books that just isn't there in the movies.

Hey guys, i have decided to begin reading some of the Star Wars books, so my question to you all is, which one?

I have watched the movies, so i am not interessted in reading any of those involving them..

Pls help me! Ty

What eras are you interested in?

Darth Plagueis is a good prequel to the prequels. An absolute masterpiece if I do say so myself. If you're interested in post-Return of the Jedi books, Truce At Bakura is a good starting spot.

Or you can check out some of the TOR novels.

• 1 month later...

Old Republic Era

• The Old Republic: Deceived

Rise of the Empire Era

• Rogue Planet (only if you plan to read The New Jedi Order; I don't recall liking this book all that much back when it was released)
  • Republic Commando series (you better like Mandalorians, though - also, Imperial Commando 501st is the last novel featuring these characters)
  • Shatterpoint
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
  • Labyrinth of Evil
  • Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
  • The Han Solo Trilogy
  • The Adventures of Lando Calrissian
  • The Han Solo Adventures ( I recall this Brian Daley trilogy as being fun as hell, though I haven't read them since my early teens - there's also, if I recall correctly, a point in A.C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy where its story takes a sort of "break" where one could then easily read these books)

Rebellion Era

• Splinter of the Mind's Eye (the first non-novelization SW novel; originally intended as the basis for a low-budget film sequel)
  • Shadows of the Empire (takes place between The Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi)

New Republic Era

• X-Wing series (keeping in mind that the last two books - Isard's Revenge and Starfighters of Adumar - take place following books outside this series)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (I don't recall much about the quality of this one, but it is pretty important as far as the future of the EU goes from this point on)
  • The Thrawn Trilogy (pretty much a must based on both quality and importance - the first post-ROTJ novels published, though some time has passed since ROTJ)
  • The Jedi Academy Trilogy (merely okay, but pretty important for the establishment of Luke's new Jedi Order)
  • I, Jedi (just fantastic, and a great companion piece to both the X-Wing series and the Jedi Academy Trilogy)
  • Darksaber (no recollection on quality, but some important characterizations here for later works)
  • The Corellian Trilogy (I do recall enjoying these books, and some events here are important in later books as well)
  • The Hand of Thrawn Duology (more Zahn work, based on his earlier Thrawn Trilogy - good stuff, as I recall, plus important in later books)
  • Young Jedi Knights series (surprisingly good for YA books, though I've only read the first six; also, they introduce and flesh out many characters who are important in the NJO and beyond)

New Jedi Order Era

• The New Jedi Order series (some of it is average, some is good / very good, some is great; my favorite SW novel period - Traitor - is in this series)
  • The Dark Nest Trilogy (it's only okay, but some events are very important in LOTF)

Legacy Era

• Legacy of the Force (I enjoyed most of it, but I do agree with some criticisms that I've seen that parts of it feel as if the series was too drawn out)
  • Crosscurrent (pretty fun; worth noting that it focuses on a Jedi introduced in the Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy video game, and features none of the original and/or other popular EU characters)
  • Millennium Falcon (pretty fun, plus worth it to spend some time "alone" with Han & Leia following the tragic events in LOTF)
  • Fate of the Jedi (it's pretty uneven - I enjoyed some of it, but a lot of it is merely adequate. It's worth noting that one might want to consider reading the Lost Tribe of the Sith eBooks either prior to or in conjunction with this, as they spell out some of the history of the Sith in this series)

If I haven't mentioned a post-ROTJ book above, then odds are it wasn't worth reading (if published back in the Bantam days) or it was published after I wasn't reading SW novels quite as voraciously as I once did (i.e., some of Zahn's newer stuff, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, etc.). As for books set during the Clone Wars, I haven't read most of those; same with the Old Republic Era.

For some examples of those that I consider not worth reading: Children of the Jedi; Planet of Twilight; The Crystal Star; The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy; and The New Rebellion. Unfortunately, there is a rather important mention during the FOTJ series of one character who is in a few of those books, but one would probably be okay to still skip those. Of course, she also appears in Darksaber, so it could be odd to have her show up in that one without the context of her first appearance and the ones after Darksaber.