Crew Skills in Game Update 1.2

CourtneyWoods

Georg Zoeller gives an update on crafting and Crew Skills:

Since the launch of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, the Crew Skill system has been incredibly popular. Every week in-game, 52 million items are produced or harvested, 4.5 million item mods are installed and more than 35 million items change hands. Players actively participating in the Crew Skill system are generally better geared and have more credits in the bank than pure consumers.

Read More

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Armormech schematics that I bought from the crew skill vendor, when crafted, result in non-moddable armor pieces. As such, I won't be able to RE them and learn their orange shell variants. Is that correct? If not, bummer. I actually like some of those armor styles and won't be able to use them as orange shells.

On the flip side, the Artifact Xenotech leggings that I looted from Hardmode Flashpoints are moddable and I will be able to RE them and learn their orange shell variants. Is this correct? If so, great! There's some neat stuff there.

Don't get me wrong. This is awesome stuff. I'm just hoping I'm either understanding it wrong or that obtaining orange shells from non-moddables will be available in the future.

I noticed under Artifice that it was mentioned that complaints about lack of schematics etc.. has been taken into consideration and many new ones have been added to the game...

What about Armstech... I have never seen an armstech schematic drop from any operations boss, Investigation mission, or any other instance within the game. I am currently 400 Armstech / 400 scavaging and 400 Investigation, I have run every mode of operation and flashpoint and as I said have yet to see a schematic from anything except the vendor or reverse engineering.

Just wondering if this has been addressed.

Thank you.

Two issues:

Modifiable weapons and armor can now be reverse engineered and researched into empty, custom (orange) shells with the same name and appearance, adding a wide variety of new outfits to the game.

Do these have a 100% RE rate? A lot of orange gear is only obtainable once through leveling quests.

Reverse engineering and research is now available for tier 2 end game items

Does this mean that it is not available for tier 1 items? That directly contradicts the above statement that "Modifiable weapons and armor can now be reverse engineered and researched".

Good stuff Georg. May I make a suggestion? I know last night you were considering ways to make current orange gear augmentable. Some people were saying that you should have crafters make items that would grant augment slots and what not.

I have another idea after reading this. Why not just make the reverse engineering schematic chance on orange items 100%? This way, people would actually have an incentive to RE this gear. As it is now, I'm not going to touch my valuable orange items to reverse engineer them knowing I may get nothing and lose access to that appearance forever. But if you guaranteed that I would learn the schematic for the item (and thus I could get it back), it would be entirely worth it. And this too solves your augment problem. If people want their current orange gear to be augmentable, they can RE it and craft it. OR wait for someone else to do so, and get it off the GTN.

I think this would result in a very diverse amount of orange gear appearances - not just the schematics you guys added, but all the stuff that's currently in the game that people have been using and holding onto and don't want to lose. Just some food for thought. I really appreciate the way you guys have been listening to the community!

So essentially, if you're a healing sorcerer who took biochem and happen to have ended up on a low pop server, then BW really REALLY doesn't want your money as of 1.2. Geesh, talk about the trifecta of unsubbery. Edited by Blotter

Maybe you missed the part where Artifice will be able to craft BIS lightsabers? Bit of a market for that, don't you think?

Compared to armormechs being able to now craft BIS pieces for three slots (Head/Chest/Legs, if not more) as well as the augments that go in them? Yeah. Lame.

Being able to create PvP stuff to sell was a nice idea. Having to PvP to do it, not so much.

EDIT - quoted wrong post

Edited by netslave

If one can reverse from Orange Gear now, PLEASE please expand the rewarded loot from Heroic Quests. Please allow us to pick the loot from any class, since that is where a lot of the Orange Gear "drops" and it is bound.

Otherwise, it will be impossible to get a lot of the schematics. If it will be confusing too for players (they can choose stuff that they can't use), then only activate this once a player reaches 50 or have it be activatable from the options screen.

Another possibility would be to make Orange quest rewards bound to account, so we can mail it to our armorcrafter, but this has a lot of additional implications that may be unwanted.

If one can reverse from Orange Gear now, PLEASE please expand the rewarded loot from Heroic Quests. Please allow us to pick the loot from any class, since that is where a lot of the Orange Gear "drops" and it is bound.

Otherwise, it will be impossible to get a lot of the schematics. If it will be confusing too for players (they can choose stuff that they can't use), then only activate this once a player reaches 50 or have it be activatable from the options screen.

Another possibility would be to make Orange quest rewards bound to account, so we can mail it to our armorcrafter, but this has a lot of additional implications that may be unwanted.

This is actually a good Idea. /sign

Lots of nice changes.

The mention of rolling disassemble for items from which schematics can be learned is a little odd, unless it is moved to be higher than greed. At present, should you be wanting to gain materials and in future the schematic, you are currently rated lower than the person who wishes to sell to a vendor for credits.

I'd propose that disassemble only appear if you can disassemble that particular item and learn the schematic, and then be placed higher than greed, and lower than need.

So I could potentially RE the Jedi Battlelord's chestguard and learn how to craft it? It's a really good idea but if it isn't 100% a lot of people won't chance it on some really expensive stuff, like the Battlelord's chest or rare quest rewards/instance drops.

Also is there specific gear that will be limited in how you can RE? For example if I am a Jedi Knight with Armormech for some reason. I do Trouble in Deed on Coruscant and get the orange Jedi Knight chestguard as a reward. Can I RE and learn how to make that as an Armormech or is it Sybertech only?

Edited by Elarion

This is actually pretty embarrassing. These are your changes? 3 minute cooldown on Cybertech grenades? Literally, it should be 10 seconds! Haha

The only skill to pick still is biochem. Honestly, where is your QA? Horrible

Additionally, there are still no vehicles in the GTM. Why are Cybertech speeder schematics bind on creation to begin with? Really, really embarrassing. Again, where is the QA? Who are you people hiring? It's hilarious how poorly you people handle your product

Edited by mtth

So I could potentially RE the Jedi Battlelord's chestguard and learn how to craft it? It's a really good idea but if it isn't 100% a lot of people won't chance it on some really expensive stuff, like the Battlelord's chest or rare quest rewards/instance drops.

It will be an empty chest peice tho. You have to fill it with your own mods etc...

....In related news, Balmorra Microprocessor Corporation has announced the discovery of a critical engineering flaw in the 'appreciation' subroutine of their bestselling 'Droid Vocal Response Chip' used on almost all ship maintenance droids currently available. The flaw is said to cause excessive expression of appreciation towards owners entering the proximity sensors of their Droids and is likely to blame for the sharp increase in escape pod related incidents around the galaxy over the last two months. A repair and replacement plan for the affected units has been devised and is said to take effect in the immediate future."

Finally a restraining bolt!!!! Can't wait to shut him up!!!!

It will be an empty chest peice tho. You have to fill it with your own mods etc...

Yeah I could fill it with Tier 2 raid mods and crit the pieces so it could have Agments. Also considering the rarity of it I'm sure there would be massive demand on the GTN.

Another question though, what about the bind to legacy items you are introducing? Can I learn how to craft those?

Armstech: I am curious if any 'end game' BoP schematics will be added to exsisting or new FP's and OP's? :confused:

I am at a loss as to why all other crafting crew skills had BoP schematics in FP's and OP's (end game) and armstech did not. Even if the items made were BoP they were good and in some cases best in slot if critted.

Armstech: I am curious if any 'end game' BoP schematics will be added to exsisting or new FP's and OP's? :confused:

I am at a loss as to why all other crafting crew skills had BoP schematics in FP's and OP's (end game) and armstech did not. Even if the items made were BoP they were good and in some cases best in slot if critted.

drop armstech and get biochem. as applicable now as ever