An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Battle Meditation

Aurbere

"Bastila is using her Battle Meditation against us!"- Jedi Master Vandar Tokare

Battle Meditation is one of the most powerful skills a Jedi can learn to use. This power is one of the most powerful skills on record, allowing a Jedi to direct the flow of battle in any way they wish. Battle Meditation is akin to a mass mind trick. Using this ability, a single Jedi can affect the minds of entire armies, forcing enemies to drop their weapons and surrender, or bolstering the morale of allies and crushing it for the enemy.

Using this ability, a powerful user of this ability can completely control the flow of a battle. Creating holes in the enemy's defenses to allow allies to gain victory. This power gives Jedi the ability to control entire fleets through the Force, giving the Jedi unprecidented control over battles. The Jedi would, however, be forced to adapt to incoming enemy reinforcements, which would tax the Jedi's mind greatly. However, a single Jedi using Battle Meditation can turn the tide of war quickly. Such is seen during the Jedi Civil War with the Jedi Bastila Shan. Darth Malak hunted Bastila ferociously, in an attempt to stop her from using her Battle Meditation.

Powerful users of this ability include, but are not limited to, Jedi Master Yoda, Master Thon, Nomi Sunrider, Arca Jeth, Darth Sidious, Bastila Shan and Master Oppo Rancisis.

A question brought up about Bastila's Battle Meditation that I would like to address, which involves her possible use of Battle Meditation to aid Revan in his duel with Malak. My research on this subject proved inconclusive. I will say that it is quite plausible as Bastila could have easily reached out through their Force bond to affect Revan with her Battle Meditation. We know that Bastila was very powerful in the use of Battle Meditation, to the point of directing both sides of the conflict, so it is not out of the question for her to use it on Revan to aid him. She had, after all, just declared her love for him and would no doubt try to help in anyway possible.

The ability to use Battle Meditation has turned the tide of battle throughout history. It is a powerful ability that is very demanding, but the rewards greatly outweigh this.

I hope you enjoyed our look at Battle Meditation. Next it Malacia, one of my favorite powers.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them below or PM me.

Edited by Aurbere

But ironically, Bastila Shan herself's mind is weak and got turned by Malak in short time.

True, but that is more about her being headstrong. She was actually very willfull. She did last a good while under near constant torture.

Her ability to use Battle Meditation relied on her willpower, but left her heavily taxed after its use. Hence her capture on Taris.

True, but that is more about her being headstrong. She was actually very willfull. She did last a good while under near constant torture.

Her ability to use Battle Meditation relied on her willpower, but left her heavily taxed after its use. Hence her capture on Taris.

Only one week, that's weak as a Jedi, that agent of Normen Karr let Baras failed to even get information from him withous using the ravager.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Only one week, that's weak as a Jedi, that agent of Normen Karr let Baras failed to even get information from him withous using the ravager.

True, but that agent was trained to resist torture by the Sith. Bastila was not.

I guess you could call it a plot hole since it takes great mental control to use Battle Meditation. I don't think Bastila's Battle Meditation was as advanced as Yoda's or Sidious' though.

EDIT: I should note that Battle Meditation's abilities vary. Whether you use it to bolster your allies resolve or crush the resolve of your enemies. You can use it to influence the minds of the enemy or to direct the flow of battle. I believe Bastila used it to increase and decrease the morale of her allies and enemies respectively. I consider this the easiest and most practical use of it.

Edited by Aurbere

Great read. This really is a powerful ability.

I don't think, however, that Bastila's use of this ability would have aided Revan in his duel with Malak. You said it yourself that battle meditation is kinda like large-scale mind trick. If this is the case, then it wouldn't have effected force users, which makes since.

I'd bet that a Jedi would have to be naturally very intelligent to be able to influence ALL those minds at the same time. I'd bet that's why so few Jedi can use battle meditation.

True, but that agent was trained to resist torture by the Sith. Bastila was not.

I guess you could call it a plot hole since it takes great mental control to use Battle Meditation. I don't think Bastila's Battle Meditation was as advanced as Yoda's or Sidious' though.

Jedi was also trained to resist the Dark Side.

I don't think, however, that Bastila's use of this ability would have aided Revan in his duel with Malak. You said it yourself that battle meditation is kinda like large-scale mind trick. If this is the case, then it wouldn't have effected force users, which makes since.

I'd bet that a Jedi would have to be naturally very intelligent to be able to influence ALL those minds at the same time. I'd bet that's why so few Jedi can use battle meditation.

You may be right. Like I said, my research didn't turn up any info on that particular subject. I did draw my own conclusion, but you could be right.

It does take a lot of energy. This is why Bastila was able to be captured so easily by the Black Vulkars. In any other situation, Bastila could have easily defeated the gang.

Except Battle Meditation does effect Force Users, we have seen it done many, many times over where a Jedi has used battle meditation to enhance their fellow members, one such instance is Darths Bane and Zannah vs a whole group of Jedi Masters and Knights, Bane and Zannah were clearly losing due to it's effects until the Master was slain.

Naga Sadow also used a very advanced variation that was winning him the entire Great Hyperspace War with the Jedi Order in chaos until his meditation sphere was fired upon.

Many more instances are out there, but you get the point.

True, but Bastila was under torture for about a week. Nomen Karr's agent was under torture for most likely a day or less.

Well yes, but that same agent in the SW story was being shielded by

Jaesa Wilsaam

Thus, he had the bonus of a jedi shielding him from afar, making him essentially immune to torture. Well, it may not have been her shielding that SiS agent, but Baras does say that someone is shielding him.

True, but Bastila was under torture for about a week. Nomen Karr's agent was under torture for most likely a day or less.

Baras already said he could not break this guy and had to risk his apprentice to get the ravager.

Even Anakin took Palpatine so long to manipulate rather than just keep him for a week, that could be easy if he wanted to do so.

Except Battle Meditation does effect Force Users, we have seen it done many, many times over where a Jedi has used battle meditation to enhance their fellow members, one such instance is Darths Bane and Zannah vs a whole group of Jedi Masters and Knights, Bane and Zannah were clearly losing due to it's effects until the Master was slain.

Naga Sadow also used a very advanced variation that was winning him the entire Great Hyperspace War with the Jedi Order in chaos until his meditation sphere was fired upon.

You're absolutely right. So it is quite plausible that Bastila did help Revan. Good to know because that was a question that I had as well.

I think Master Yoda also used Battle Meditation to aid Jedi during their missions during the Clone Wars, I know he used it during the Battle of Kashyyyk.

Well yes, but that same agent in the SW story was being shielded by

Jaesa Wilsaam

Thus, he had the bonus of a jedi shielding him from afar, making him essentially immune to torture. Well, it may not have been her shielding that SiS agent, but Baras does say that someone is shielding him.

I forgot about that. Now I want to play the Warrior again just for that epic line. "I CANNOT BREAK HIM!!!"

This would explain why the agent was capable of surviving the torture. The shield was unbreakable as he couldn't stop the shielder from doing the shielding.

Thumbs up for a spoiler free spoiler :D

I forgot about that. Now I want to play the Warrior again just for that epic line. "I CANNOT BREAK HIM!!!"

This would explain why the agent was capable of surviving the torture. The shield was unbreakable as he couldn't stop the shielder from doing the shielding.

Thumbs up for a spoiler free spoiler :D

Thumbs given :D There is a better line at that time though. The SW can say something to the effect of "I feel your anger, master," and Baras replies A BLIND, DEAF, COMATOSE LOBOTOMY PATIENT COULD FEEL. MY. ANGER!!!!!! Its so funny to hear him say it :D

Thumbs given :D There is a better line at that time though. The SW can say something to the effect of "I feel your anger, master," and Baras replies A BLIND, DEAF, COMATOSE LOBOTOMY PATIENT COULD FEEL. MY. ANGER!!!!!! Its so funny to hear him say it :D

lol yeah. That's one of my favorite lines in the game. Baras may be fat, but the voice actor was incredibly good. :D

I see. Point taken.

It leveled the playing field for Revan against Malek , he was drawing power off the StarForge and the captured Jedi he was syphoning their power !

So all we can do is What Ifs and Maybe's at this point.

Good Read as usual Aurbere !

There's a near-throwaway line in the EU about how the imperial fleet just went to pieces after Palpatine went on a short flight.. the theory mentioned that it was as if Palpatine had been bolstering and streamlining the entire fleet for the entire time he was Emperor. That sounds a lot like battle meditation, over the entire galaxy, for a period of 20 years, continuously.. is my reading of this correct?

There's a near-throwaway line in the EU about how the imperial fleet just went to pieces after Palpatine went on a short flight.. the theory mentioned that it was as if Palpatine had been bolstering and streamlining the entire fleet for the entire time he was Emperor. That sounds a lot like battle meditation, over the entire galaxy, for a period of 20 years, continuously.. is my reading of this correct?

Actually no. While Palpatine's use of Battle Meditation was incredibly powerful, he was too busy with Luke. In this case, Grand Admiral Declann used Battle Meditation. He had been taught by Palpatine to use Battle Meditation when he could not. His forces were still driven by wis will, but the Battle Meditation in play was that of Declann. Once Palpatine died, his forces started to fall apart, even Battle Meditation could not save them because the Emperor's will was driving. Declann's Battle Meditation gave them coordination, Palpatine's will gave them drive.

Had Palpatine been in complete control, the rebels would have lost.

Actually no. While Palpatine's use of Battle Meditation was incredibly powerful, he was too busy with Luke. In this case, Grand Admiral Declann used Battle Meditation. He had been taught by Palpatine to use Battle Meditation when he could not. His forces were still driven by wis will, but the Battle Meditation in play was that of Declann. Once Palpatine died, his forces started to fall apart, even Battle Meditation could not save them because the Emperor's will was driving. Declann's Battle Meditation gave them coordination, Palpatine's will gave them drive.

Had Palpatine been in complete control, the rebels would have lost.

I think Ackbar said somewhere in the Thrawn Trilogy about if Vader was in control of the Empire's Forces, the Rebel's would not have stood a chance.