Tank Assassin Stat Gearing + Augmenting

RiseOfDeath

Okay, I'm currently in black hole/campaign, with one rakata piece remaining: the offhand (augmented).

I have 13 fortitude augments and one defense augment.

With that being said, here's my stats (breakdown of the 3 tanking stats and HP)

---

HP: 27188

(buffed, as I have the bounty hunter buff on my toon)

Defense Chance: 27.34% (385 rating)

Shield Chance: 65.38% with dark ward (561 rating)

Absorption: 50.16% (330 rating)

---

I traded all of my accuracy out for shield, that's why it's so high. I can't trade the shield with anything else that would be useful, besides accuracy, which I don't want.

HP, Defense, and Absorb, though..... With my shield so high I think absorb is a better choice than defense, since it becomes more viable as shield goes up....

----

My raid group and I burn through HM EC very quickly every week, so for this patch it seems fine. But I'm always looking at better optimizing my stats, so if anyone has any suggestions, just say it. :)

---

Relics:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/41534/Campaign-Relic-of-Shield-Amplification

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/41495/campaign-relic-of-imperiling-serenity

Since my defence is pretty high now, I was thinking of swapping the on-use defence one for this for the self heals, since it procs on our self heals and would help:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/40513/campaign-relic-of-ephemeral-mending

The endurance is good, too.

Should I?

Edited by RiseOfDeath

I can be wrong here, But doesnt shield chance caps at 50%? That would mean you can trade some for other stats.

Im not sure though, so perhaps someone can confirm wether it is wrong or not.

Shield chance caps at +50%. So if you got 50% just from rating alone, then you wouldn't be able to get any higher. You get a certain amount just from equipping a shield generator+ from talents, so once you get ANOTHER +50% you're capped.

Not the case with me yet! :p

Tanking stats go like this, too (how they made mods/enhancements):

-Shield or Accuracy

-Defense or Absorb

So I traded all of my accuracy for shield, I can't trade it to anything else besides accuracy. So it's staying shield.

Defense and absorb, though... not sure how much I should put in each, and if I should take some hp augments out and replace with either defense or absorb augments.. not sure. :(

I put defense augments instead in my gear.

So almost 800k less hp, but with exotech stim im 30% defense.

Relic's.

Use:Defense / Proc: Absorb

26540 hp

40.25% mitation.

defense 30%

Shield 45% (No ward)

Absorb 50%

Reason is I parsed EC mox results, And most dmg cant be shielded. But all attacks can be dodged, so I added more defense.

But Im not 100% sure of this, So I tried balance it a bit anyway.

You know if this is the case?

Also DR is nasty at 400-500 defense, maybe increasing hp is better?

I put defense augments instead in my gear.

Relic's.

Use: Defense / Proc: Absorb

26540 hp

40.25% mitation.

defense 30%

Shield 45% (No ward)

Absorb 50%

I did something similar but went almost full defense and some absorb augments.

Relics:

Use: Campaign Relic of Imperiling Serenity (+ defense on use)

Stats: Battlemaster's Relic of Imperiling Serenity (+103 defense, augmented so +121 defense)

Completely unbuffed from memory I have about:

22103 Health (24k buffed with stim)

38% Mitigation (Just under 6k armor)

31% defense (Over 500 rating, something like 525?)

40% Shield (55% with Dark Ward)

52% Absorb

I just got the black hole chest piece so I gained some defense and lost absorb making my stat balance wonky right now.

They way I understand it, I'm at the caps for Absorb (50%) and Defense (30%) already based on this forum post for tanking.

I'm waiting until I've bought all the black hole gear to re-augment as the stats balance is definitely going to change, but it might be time to go for HP? I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm if those are truly the caps?

Edited by CharlieBrown

They way I understand it, I'm at the caps for Absorb (50%) and Defense (30%) already based on this forum post for tanking.

I'm waiting until I've bought all the black hole gear to re-augment as the stats balance is definitely going to change, but it might be time to go for HP? I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm if those are truly the caps?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope, you're not at the cap for absorb/defense.

Once you look at your rating and it says that you got:

1. +30% defense from JUST RATING

2. +50% absorb from JUST RATING

You'll then be at the cap, it won't go higher than that.

We start out at a base of 17% defense or so, so once you get +30% ADDITIONAL defense (47% defense) you'll be at the cap. You can't currently get that much. Once you do, you'll notice, since if you had that much defense you'd see +30% defense from rating, and it wouldn't go higher no matter how much more points you put into it.

We start out at a base of 24% absorb or so, so once you get +50% ADDITIONAL absorb (74% absorb), you'll be at the cap. You can't currently get that much, yada yada yada. :p

----

Anyway, I swapped out some things, but since I'm not tank spec right now I don't remember the exact percents and ratings of everything.

Now I'm about:

26850 HP

30.5% defense

Other ones are the same:

Shield Chance: 65.38% with dark ward (561 rating)

Absorption: 50.16% (330 rating)

Edited by RiseOfDeath

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I dont understand something

I have bh/campain armorings

mix columi tionese and bh mods

m.ix colimi and timoses enhacements

columi weapon and off hand and my stats are

HPS 23142 (2041 end)

DR 40

DC 28.60 (442 def)

SC 42.17 => 62.17 with dark ward (464 shield)

Abs 56.94 (479 abs)

My hps will be MUCH higher once i get full BH mods and enhancements .. but how is it i already have higher defensive stats then some of you posting that your in full BH/Campain or higher?

Edited by drfirewater

My hps will be MUCH higher once i get full BH mods and enhancements .. but how is it i already have higher defensive stats then some of you posting that your in full BH/Campain or higher?

Well, I would not be so sure that they have full BH/campaign or higher.

Some of the numbers given here are quite low, and the posts are kind of old.

I would expect more geared tanks at this time to be somewhere around:

30% defense

45% shield chance, that is 65% with dark ward

60% absorption

or even a bit higher on all 3

You can't currently get that much

While your explanation about the "caps" was kind of mostly right, you should not say "currently".

It would be more correct to say: You can never get that much.

The so called caps of from rating stats alone are the caps you would have with infinite amount of those stats.

As in your defense chance gained from the defense rating alone approaches 30% as your defense rating approaches infinity.

Your shield chance gained from the shield rating alone approaches 50% as your shield rating approaches infinity.

Your absorption gained from the absorption rating alone approaches 50% as your absorption rating approaches infinity.

No matter how much new gear they add, you are never going to have infinite stats.

These days (post-1.5) people are saying caps for absorb and shield are 70%

Who says that?

Nothing changed in 1.5

The "caps" are same as they have always been.

The "caps" (if you can call them that) from ratings alone are and have always been 30% defense 50% shield and 50% absorption or that is what infinite amount of each rating would give you.

Note: THOSE NUMBERS DO NOT REPRESENT THE ACTUAL PERCENTAGES ON YOUR CHARACTER! They are about percentages gained from rating stats alone and do not include percentages gained from other sources.

The actual theoretical caps with infinite ratings for shield and absorb are:

Base+skills+buffs+50%

These are of course different for each tank class

For Assassins:

Without any stats gained from gear, they start at:

-16% (not 17) defense chance, so the theoretical cap is 46%

-20% shield chance (without dark ward), so the theoretical cap is 70% (and 90% with dark ward on)

-24% absorption, so the theoretical cap is 74%

Of course it is pointless to pay any attention to these caps since you can never reach them.

Who says that?

Nothing changed in 1.5

The "caps" are same as they have always been.

The "caps" (if you can call them that) from ratings alone are and have always been 30% defense 50% shield and 50% absorption or that is what infinite amount of each rating would give you.

Note: THOSE NUMBERS DO NOT REPRESENT THE ACTUAL PERCENTAGES ON YOUR CHARACTER! They are about percentages gained from rating stats alone and do not include percentages gained from other sources.

The actual theoretical caps with infinite ratings for shield and absorb are:

Base+skills+buffs+50%

These are of course different for each tank class

For Assassins:

Without any stats gained from gear, they start at:

-16% (not 17) defense chance, so the theoretical cap is 46%

-20% shield chance (without dark ward), so the theoretical cap is 70% (and 90% with dark ward on)

-24% absorption, so the theoretical cap is 74%

Of course it is pointless to pay any attention to these caps since you can never reach them.

Hence why you talk about "soft cap", meaning the point where diminishing return start being annoying on a given stat.

I am personally sitting at 29,38% defense, 53% absorb and 45,93% shield (without Dark ward)

My defense is mostly from augments, and I'm stacking absorb in mods, shield in enhencements. I'll play around with stats as i get more BH gear.

Reason is I parsed EC mox results, And most dmg cant be shielded. But all attacks can be dodged, so I added more defense.

But Im not 100% sure of this, So I tried balance it a bit anyway.

You know if this is the case?

Actually thats a false statement.

Any attacks that can be defended can be shielded, which are melee and ranged attack types. Tech and force can only be resisted, via the 2% talented we have, and shroud.

Tank soa with dark ward up, and I guarantee you the thing's going to remain at 8 charges. Pop shroud, and suddenly, no damage for 5 seconds.

Edited by verfallen

My Assassin gets these stats which work for me in EC HM etc

HP: 26008

DR: 40%

DC: 30%

SR: 50.8% (70% with Dark Ward)

AR: 53%

I think its really important to get shield rating to 50% then focus on Defence and Absorbtion to the soft cap, then just go for endurance once the rest is solid.

Edited by Alohen

• 2 weeks later...

I think its really important to get shield rating to 50% then focus on Defence and Absorbtion to the soft cap, then just go for endurance once the rest is solid.

Never been big on "Go for Endurance".... I've always favored stacking defensive stats.

Over the course of several hours, We forced my guildees to suffer thru a sick little experiment between my healer and I in TFB HM. I consulted the spread sheets prior to.....crunched page after page of numbers....mapped out the most inexpensive methods of trying it all out (still cost me over 3 million creds) ....and we tried out every reasonable variation we could come up with. From High endurance builds to heavy mitigation and avoidance style builds etc. I know math doesn't lie...but I work for that Zen balance between math and what "Feels Right".

Best way to explain the results?

You can spread more butter on top of the butter already there, but a hot knife still wins. (Endurance)

When it comes to Soft-Caps? A diminished return, is still a return! (Defensive Stats)

Which lands me at my personal pref....

• Gear / Augment for Defense and Absorb. Keeping the two ratings balanced as close together as possible (erring on absorb since stims give defense) to negate diminishing returns.
  • Shield is shield... not much you can do there. It's on everything! (although I do always keep that one piece of accuracy gear. For some reason it just seems like it plays better to me at 93%).
  • If my HP is only 23k then so be it cuz I barely lose any when I get hit.

Again...just my personal pref.

1 caveat: Shield rating didn't appear to have crap all of an impact on our little "experiment".

Doesn't mean it didn't....I just couldn't see any.

With that... the new enhancements you can flip flop the Endo and Shield ratings 60/48 vs 48/60?

I will take the high Endurance on those ones only.

Edited by Grumpftard

The one time I take endurance over mitigation is if there's just more endurance than mitigation on the piece, like the 27B mods versus the 27 mods. You can get 44 mitigation and 34 endurance with the 27 mods (78 points total), or 34 mitigation and 56 endurance with the 27B mods (90 points total). The base 27s have more willpower, but it honestly isn't worth losing 22 endurance to pick up 10 mitigation.

There is a very good reason to take end stacked mods and enhancements over mitigation stacked. Our Self heals are a percentage of our HP. My stats right now are

27895k HP

40.28%DR

30.82% Def

67% Shield w/Ward

59.8% Absorb

and I have so far tanked all content up to NM EC. My group runs with a VG tank and in the time his used his cooldowns I haven't needed to hit any because I take very little damage. Every now and then Ill get a *** smash that skips past everything but its not often. Alot of attacks in ops will skip past shield so its good to have that HP buffer that when an *** moment hits, I can simply TKT and heal up easily enough. For the record my TKT current heals for around 2.4k every 10 seconds without the dread guard healing relic.

As I am still learning this is what i have used as my stats for my assassin tank

I tried going heavy endurance till healers told me it stunk healing me :p

This is with the 4 class buffs, the Exotech Fortitude Stim, and Dark ward (it better be on for assassin tanks :p) I included those cause i figure that's how i run in our operation runs. I have full Campaign with little Dread Guard mixed in.

Health : 26,981

Armor Rating: 6227

Damage Reduction: 40.57%

Defense Chance: 29.52% (486)

Shield Chance: 69.13% (692)

Shield Absorption: 57.83% (503)

I use the new Dread Guard relic that gives 215 extra shield and absorption for 20 sec as D-buff

And don't know what to replace it yet but i use the pvp relic "War Hero Relic of Shrouded Crusades".

When i hit all my de-buffs my stats go to

DC [79.52]

SC [74.09]

SA [64.02]

in hopes i don't die lol.

So that's mine so far, i am doing HM TFB up to the 4th boss, if anyone has suggestions in ways i could improve i am all ears. :wea_03:

There is a very good reason to take end stacked mods and enhancements over mitigation stacked. Our Self heals are a percentage of our HP. My stats right now are

27895k HP

40.28%DR

30.82% Def

67% Shield w/Ward

59.8% Absorb

and I have so far tanked all content up to NM EC. My group runs with a VG tank and in the time his used his cooldowns I haven't needed to hit any because I take very little damage. Every now and then Ill get a *** smash that skips past everything but its not often. Alot of attacks in ops will skip past shield so its good to have that HP buffer that when an *** moment hits, I can simply TKT and heal up easily enough. For the record my TKT current heals for around 2.4k every 10 seconds without the dread guard healing relic.

You have more, and can self heal more, but you lose more.... which is a drain on your healers.

You have more, and can self heal more, but you lose more.... which is a drain on your healers.

Only if your healers are bad. The self-heal is a critical part of our survivability story (almost 17%, all-told), particularly when using an optimized rotation. Any healer who doesn't take advantage of the fact that we earn back HP over time is either bad, lazy, or flush with extra energy and doesn't care about the overhealing (in which case it doesn't matter).

My current stats (missing two 63 enhancements, but otherwise full DG):

• 28.3k HP
  • 28.79% defense (needs to come up just a hair)
  • 65.84% shield (with DW)
  • 61.08% absorb

I use the War Hero defense relic (haven't picked up the EWH relic yet) and the DG proc heal relic. I also use the 27B mods (Robust and Reinforced), since the small loss in mitigation is trebled by the gain in self-healing. My full gear set can be seen here (I'm pretty sure this is up to date): http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/6d0035cb-8938-4f38-8073-e75392f0b410

Edited by KeyboardNinja

• 1 month later...
Only if your healers are bad. The self-heal is a critical part of our survivability story (almost 17%, all-told), particularly when using an optimized rotation. Any healer who doesn't take advantage of the fact that we earn back HP over time is either bad, lazy, or flush with extra energy and doesn't care about the overhealing (in which case it doesn't matter).

My current stats (missing two 63 enhancements, but otherwise full DG):

• 28.3k HP
  • 28.79% defense (needs to come up just a hair)
  • 65.84% shield (with DW)
  • 61.08% absorb

I use the War Hero defense relic (haven't picked up the EWH relic yet) and the DG proc heal relic. I also use the 27B mods (Robust and Reinforced), since the small loss in mitigation is trebled by the gain in self-healing. My full gear set can be seen here (I'm pretty sure this is up to date): http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/6d0035cb-8938-4f38-8073-e75392f0b410

According to your setup, your Defense Chance is only 24.79% which is way too low.

Edited by Jaspless

Oh please...

According to your setup, your Defense Chance is only 24.79% which is way too low.

1. No it isn't. His defense chance in that setup would be exactly what he said, not what you're saying. Pay some attention. If you look at numbers listed in askmrrobot site, they don't include everything one gets from their skill tree.

2. You're responding to posts that are several months old.

Oh please...

1. No it isn't. His defense chance in that setup would be exactly what he said, not what you're saying. Pay some attention. If you look at numbers listed in askmrrobot site, they don't include everything one gets from their skill tree.

2. You're responding to posts that are several months old.

You're telling me when you click on his link it shows his defense above the 25%? How the hell does he have that much defense AND his absorb at 60%? Not to mention his HP is higher. Here's what I have for my own.. what am I doing wrong here?

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/4843fb7f-11d4-4952-8968-c5cf9afa54dc