Self Destruct Penalty

Beowulfxx

Today I was on the winning side of a wafflestomp.

Most of the opposing team was obviously new to the game. We got two satellites early and the other team spent the rest of the game rushing our position and getting slaughtered.

There were a group of three players who I suspect were on vent as they always flew together and focused on the same target. About half way through the game, the opposing team was self-destructing like crazy. Our three amigos would chase some poor fellow across the map and he'd end up kissing asteroid as he tried to get away.

Here's the thing, there are two types of people who'll frequently self-destruct:

1 - People denying you kills

2 - People who are still learning to fly.

I don't want people starting the game to spend 30 seconds on the sideline and give the opposing team 5-10 extra points because they made a mistake. That would suck.

People who deny kills are being petty. True.

People who want a stiff penalty for self-destructing are also being petty. You want to make the game less fun simply because you got +1 assist instead of +1 kill.

Edited by MCaliban

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be amusing (or at least more satisfying) if the death message read something like "[playername] was chased into the ground" or "[playername] was forced into a wall" when that player self-destructs within some number of seconds after taking damage or being the target of an attempted missile lock.

It might be amusing (or at least more satisfying) if the death message read something like "[playername] was chased into the ground" or "[playername] was forced into a wall" when that player self-destructs within some number of seconds after taking damage or being the target of an attempted missile lock.

i think anyone who runs from a fight to hide inside their spawn ships dead zone, should get killed by their own ships turrets and the death message should read "X died like a little *****" or "X died a cowards death"

Ok so you didn't get the "On the more serius note", I'm not angry at all, and not a kill hog, the first part was a joke, not an ironic rage or whatever, just for fun, you know, to make people laugh. The second part was serious, and I see nothing angry about that as well, just pointing out that those timers are enough punishment as it is and there is no need for anymore of it for those who self-destruct... are we clear now?

I'm very bad at detecting Irony in RL.

I played a few games after a weeks break, and during those matches did several "suicides", not on purpose. Most of the time I was trying to dodge something, a missile or someone flying after me. few times I hit a wall because something exploded in front of me and I could not see where the walls are. Ofcourse few times I managed to fly my smoking and flaming piece of garbage for several minutes before someone shot me down.

Maybe its just me, but I really would like to have a joystick steering and the look left/right functionality to see where I am going when making tight turns between rocks etc.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Theres no need for a PENALTY, just award a KILL instead of an assist to either the person who the did the most damage, or the last one to hit them before they self-destruct.

BOOM, problem completely solved without any sort of penalty being put into place.

It's obvious that there is no way to detect whether a crash was deliberate or pilot error. This means that it's not possible to implement extra punishment on deliberate suiciders, even if that were desirable given the negative resultts that they already incur.

This is possibly the most ridiculous whine I've seen on the SWTOR forums. Anyone who has been here a while will realise the vast exapnse of that claim.

Though it did provide me with a laugh at the guy raging because he gets lured back into the spawn turrets. So unfair.

BOOM, problem completely solved without any sort of penalty being put into place.
But, there is no problem in the first place. As many people said in this thread and in several other threads, the maps are about objectives, not about kills. Elimination of an enemy helps toward the objectives, but how the elimination occurs is completely irrelevant - for the objectives.

The penalty of zerging and awaiting a respawn timer seems enough to me.

I've self destructed a few times, some from hitting the wrong button at the wrong time, others from misjudging my wing span, and others from the over the top particle effects from the "explosions in space" completely obscuring view of anything for a few seconds and flying into something hidden in or behind the cloud.

I can't count the number of times I have sat there praying there was no satellite extension in front of me after blowing up a star fighting and only seeing fire and smoke for a few seconds and hoping I am flying through the gap. I feel like I am in the Days of thunder movie where they are telling me to go high and I can blow through.

• 5 years later...

add him to your friendslist.

here we have the same problem with a player.

they are using it for doing conquest points fast and leveling the char.

after reaching the goal, they are changing the name. also try to take

a look in what guild they are. then report it to their guild lead.

reporting that player is okay, but don't expect anything.

For me its the opposite, if I'm running and accidentally self-destruct due to a careless maneuver or missile break while someone is chasing me. I am disappointed because the pursuer will think he/she caused me to hit the obstacle.

Point is, when someone is hotly pursuing you, and you die, regardless if it shows up on the pursuers kills or not, he is partly responsible for your death - and both parties know it. So there shouldn't be any satisfaction by the corpse.

I also agree with most posts that personal kills or record is meaningless, the team win is all that is important.

That being said, some OTHER video games will register the kill to the last person who did damage to the victim before he died, it wouldn't be that hard to implement that. But really, its unimportant as personal record really is meaningless.

Edited by Stellarcrusade