Dogfight Mode

Decalin

Query for you all,

I know its unlikely, but if we were to have a new, somewhat simplified GSF mode, specifically aimed towards a "dogfight" type of combat, would those of you already into GSF find it of any interest?

I am thinking set pre-configured ships, perhaps a choice between a couple of scouts or strike's, no lock-on missiles, engine abilities or power-ups on the map.

It would put everyone on the same footing, and we could probably lower the amount of players needed for a match to, say a squad of 5 or 6 per side?

Other than the fact I just think it would be fun, the thinking is that it may get more players involved as the most common complaints seem to be the difficulty getting ships upgraded and death by gunship wall or missile spam. I know for those who have experience these are not so much of an issue, but they do seem to be problematic for new players.

Query for you all,

I know its unlikely, but if we were to have a new, somewhat simplified GSF mode, specifically aimed towards a "dogfight" type of combat, would those of you already into GSF find it of any interest?

I am thinking set pre-configured ships, perhaps a choice between a couple of scouts or strike's, no lock-on missiles, engine abilities or power-ups on the map.

It would put everyone on the same footing, and we could probably lower the amount of players needed for a match to, say a squad of 5 or 6 per side?

Other than the fact I just think it would be fun, the thinking is that it may get more players involved as the most common complaints seem to be the difficulty getting ships upgraded and death by gunship wall or missile spam. I know for those who have experience these are not so much of an issue, but they do seem to be problematic for new players.

GSF is problematic or new players because its a complex game mode with a very rudimentary at best tutorial + people don't have the patience to learn something that requires more than just smashing buttons to do well. I would like a 3rd mode in addition to the Domination and Team Death Match modes. That would spark more interest, but it would need to be thought out what it would be, and I am uncertain if the devs would do it anyway. I'm uncertain if a simplified version would be the way to achieve it though.

It's not so much that we need a "dogfight" mode as we need to revisit the changes made in 5.5.

Protorps went from nearly useless to nearly necessity.

Strike survivability was enhanced significantly

This led to much longer engagement distances and leaving every individual pilot vulnerable - No longer was it just the gunships you had to be mindful of outside 5k, but now every strike from up to 11.5k now offers potential threat.

Since strikes could now take a few hits, it became very difficult to finish a strike before it simply moved out of range, and that's before you start factoring in if they try to dodge blaster fire. It basically led to fighting strike with strike at long range for the sake of protorp locks and more accurate heavy blasters.

To bring dogfighting back to that 4k range, it needs to be harder to fight from farther out.

To bring dogfighting back to that 4k range, it needs to be harder to fight from farther out.

possibly that missiles would auto-break once the player is outside of their range of the attacker, whether they're launched or not? that would make it easier to get a break if you were close to being outside of radius, and would force the attacker to stay on players(especially scouts) after firing the missile

possibly that missiles would auto-break once the player is outside of their range of the attacker, whether they're launched or not? that would make it easier to get a break if you were close to being outside of radius, and would force the attacker to stay on players(especially scouts) after firing the missile

Logically speaking, that's more or less how they should work. Technical and coding limitations make that highly unlikely. Protorps were rarely used before because they were so hard to lock and given the minimal usage of locking projectiles the target likely had a missile break ready and available.