Swtor put on a backburner

Collec

It all became clear. With news coming out, that Anthem is getting "overhaul", it became crystal clear to me, that SWTOR is ONCE AGAIN being put on hold. JUST LOOK AT 6.0 !!!!! WHAT EXPANSION HAS LAUNCHED WITH SO LITTLE CONTENT !?!?!?!?

I get it...main thing is tacticals and gear. TOO LITTLE....WAAAY TOO LATE !!!

They gonna once again milk this on loyal fanbase, because it has STAR WARS ip.

And I don't know,what it has now...but Anthem is just gonna turn into f2p clone of SWTOR. And no that is not a good thing. Maybe it is for idiots...I don't care, I never played Anthem. I just want devs to focus on this fking game !!!

Unsub and send them message.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all became clear. With news coming out, that Anthem is getting "overhaul", it became crystal clear to me, that SWTOR is ONCE AGAIN being put on hold. JUST LOOK AT 6.0 !!!!! WHAT EXPANSION HAS LAUNCHED WITH SO LITTLE CONTENT !?!?!?!?

I get it...main thing is tacticals and gear. TOO LITTLE....WAAAY TOO LATE !!!

They gonna once again milk this on loyal fanbase, because it has STAR WARS ip.

And I don't know,what it has now...but Anthem is just gonna turn into f2p clone of SWTOR. And no that is not a good thing. Maybe it is for idiots...I don't care, I never played Anthem. I just want devs to focus on this fking game !!!

Oh because Unsubbing is such a smart idea, because it won't send the completely the wrong message to Bioware's overlords at EA :rolleyes:

Just because Anthem is being worked on doesn't mean this game is going to be ignored. Onslaught was a smaller expansion, yes, but it was a very enjoyable one nonetheless (barring the crafting changes and bugs ofc). It's obvious the story that was introduced there is going to continue and new content will be produced around it.

I understand it's tempting to get fired up on a conspiracy theory train with all these bits and pieces of news, but frankly, until actually something happens there's no need to worry ahead of time. For all we know, Anthem's overhaul is not going to have any impact on SWTOR, we can't know for sure. Don't get yourself worked up over this and definitely don't encourage others to unsub, because that might actually be damaging to the game and have far worse consequences than you perceive now.

Edited by Ylliarus

Oh because Unsubbing is such a smart idea, because it won't send the completely the wrong message to Bioware's overlords at EA :rolleyes:

Just because Anthem is being worked on doesn't mean this game is going to be ignored. Onslaught was a smaller expansion, yes, but it was a very enjoyable one nonetheless (barring the crafting changes and bugs ofc). It's obvious the story that was introduced there is going to continue and new content will be produced around it.

I understand it's tempting to get fired up on a conspiracy theory train with all these bits and pieces of news, but frankly, until actually something happens there's no need to worry ahead of time. For all we know, Anthem's overhaul is not going to have any impact on SWTOR, we can't know for sure. Don't get yourself worked up over this and definitely don't encourage others to unsub, because that might actually be damaging to the game and have far worse consequences than you perceive now.

The guy is probably right. Bioware plans on completely overhauling the game. That takes manpower and a lot of resources. That said, Bioware is also working on next DA and ME. Likely most of BWA would be working on Anthem.

There is no conspiracy here, judging by the size of latest DLC, i highly doubt we're gonna get consistent updates every few month.

Edited by Spoloma

The guy is probably right. Bioware plans on completely overhauling the game. That takes manpower and a lot of resources. That said, Bioware is also working on next DA and ME. Likely most of BWA would be working on Anthem.

There is no conspiracy here, judging by the latest size of latest DLC, i highly doubt we're gonna get consistent updates every few month.

We didn't get consistent updates before Onslaught either, so is anything going to change? Things will stay the same, which honestly is better than if they'd worsen, which they won't. SWTOR is a huge revenue source for EA so they will want to keep it running and thus, keep players happy playing it. Or if not happy, then at least satisfied enough to keep on going.

Unsubbing out of protest is not going to help EA believing that players are satisfied. If too many unsub, they will shut the game down, simple. They won't cave in, they won't make SWTOR their primary focus again, they'll simply cut losses. You don't want that, I absolutely don't want that and I bet that no honest player of this game actually wants SWTOR to shut down. Besides, unsubbing protests have never worked in the past, never. Mainly because barely anyone joined in such protests.

Edited by Ylliarus

We didn't get consistent updates before Onslaught either, so is anything going to change? Things will stay the same, which honestly is better than if they'd worsen, which they won't. SWTOR is a huge revenue source for EA so they will want to keep it running and thus, keep players happy playing it. Or if not happy, then at least satisfied enough to keep on going.

Unsubbing out of protest is not going to help EA believing that players are satisfied. If too many unsub, they will shut the game down, simple. They won't cave in, they won'tmake SWTOR their primary focus again, they'll simply cut losses. You don't want that, I absolutely don't want that and I bet that no honest player of this game actually wants SWTOR to shut down. Besides, unsubbing protests have never worked in the past, never. Mainly because barely anyone joined in such protests.

No, swtor is a source of minor profit, always was. Major sources of profits are those idiotic sports games, they literally make billion a year. Post 5.x swtor clearly doesn't make nowhere near of the sum. Why do you think we're not getting any worthwhile updates, but only cartel market ****? No revenue - no content. The guy makes a good point, why stay and pay for the game, that doesn't make any new content? Because of fanboyism? Even that has it's limits. It's not about protest, people are gonna unsub naturally due to lack of content. And, judging by bioware's plans, we ain't gonna be having anything worthwhile for years to come, if ever.

Personally, i've been in this game since mid 2012 and i'm a huge fan of EU, but even i'm getting tired of this ********.

Edited by Spoloma

No, swtor is a source of minor profit, always was. Major sources of profits are those idiotic sports games, they literally make billion a year. Post 5.x swtor clearly doesn't make nowhere near of the sum. Why do you think we're not getting any worthwhile updates, but only cartel market ****? No revenue - no content. The guy makes a good point, why stay and pay for the game, that doesn't make any new content? Because of fanboyism? Even that has it's limits. It's not about protest, people are gonna unsub naturally due to lack of content. And, judging by bioware's plans, we ain't gonna be having anything worthwhile for years to come, if ever.

Personally, i've been in this game since mid 2012 and i'm a huge fan of EU, but even i'm getting tired of this ********.

Then you haven't read the latest article about EA in which the company speaks how satisfied and happy it is with how well SWTOR is doing revenue wise. They released that the game has already made over 1 billion dollars in revenue for EA. You're basing your point of view on conjecture, but the factual evidence is completely different.

Here's what I am talking about: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/huge-mmo-star-wars-the-old-republic-has-made-close/1100-6471011/

Publisher Elctronic Arts announced on an earnings call that The Old Republic is now closing in on $1 billion in lifetime revenue. "Believe it or not, we are close to $1 billion on Star Wars: The Old Republic revenue from the start of its history," EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said. "So it's a business that just keeps on going. We like those types of businesses."
Edited by Ylliarus

Then you haven't read the latest article about EA in which the company speaks how satisfied and happy it is with how well SWTOR is doing revenue wise. They released that the game has already made over 1 billion dollars in revenue for EA. You're basing your point of view on conjecture, but the factual evidence is completely different.

Here's what I am talking about: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/huge-mmo-star-wars-the-old-republic-has-made-close/1100-6471011/

LOL. It made a billion in 9 years, again 9 years. Developing swtor took 250-300mil + 100mil on advertisements. Beside that, EA has to pay for the license. Take that into the account. Also, most of profits came from direct purchase of the game during it's launch + sub. After that game went full free-to-play, but still charged for expansions. Post 4.x subbed player base dropped and even more so during 5.x. Why do you think we didn't get any numbers on 4/5.x revenue? Because of was LOW.

Edited by Spoloma

And clearly, the revenue they're making of off it is satisfying EA or otherwise they would have cut losses much earlier. If you want to view this negatively then that is of course your prerogative, but you can't present your views as facts. Especially in light of the article that clearly indicates that EA wants to continue these types of businesses. SWTOR is making EA a ton of revenue and they won't simply throw it away or forget about it, no matter how many projects they'll have Bioware working on. So no, the OP is not onto something here and unsubbing will not help you get your dissatisfaction be heard. If you are unhappy with the game and want to go onto something else, sure, go ahead and unsubscribe. But don't call for or expect others to follow your suit, simply out of protest. Edited by Ylliarus

And clearly, the revenue they're making of off it is satisfying EA or otherwise they would have cut losses much earlier. If you want to view this negatively then that is of course your prerogative, but you can't present your views as facts. Especially in light of the article that clearly indicates that EA wants to continue these types of businesses. SWTOR is making EA a ton of revenue and they won't simply throw it away or forget about it, no matter how many projects they'll have Bioware working on.

But they also won't pour Money into it..

which is what the OP frustration come from.

That article (which I posted in the off topic a while ago lol), all it does is add fuel to the frustrated peoples .

Even if its just for PR or share holder . Here peoples are facing Bugs from ages ago, and getting the nay sayer giving the same old exuse of ''Dont have man power, dont have mouney, dont have this and that'' .

Yet they are still making money, yet we are still being told this game wont shut down cose its doing great, yet we still hear the endless echo of ''EA LOVE SWTOR!!!''

But not enough LOVE to pour some of that revenue back in here . But they decided to focus on Anthem instead, when this game need alot of Aspirin and band aid .

But they also won't pour Money into it..

which is what the OP frustration come from.

That article (which I posted in the off topic a while ago lol), all it does is add fuel to the frustrated peoples .

Even if its just for PR or share holder . Here peoples are facing Bugs from ages ago, and getting the nay sayer giving the same old exuse of ''Dont have man power, dont have mouney, dont have this and that'' .

Yet they are still making money, yet we are still being told this game wont shut down cose its doing great, yet we still hear the endless echo of ''EA LOVE SWTOR!!!''

But not enough LOVE to pour some of that revenue back in here . But they decided to focus on Anthem instead, when this game need alot of Aspirin and band aid .

And I don't disagree with that. It is unfair that EA is taking all the profit from this game but doesn't pour some of that revenue back into the game, I am frustrated with that myself. Don't you think I would want to see SWTOR returning to the state it was in during its prime? I love this game more than any other and I am hoping fiery for it that the game will go through a grand revival at some point, as naive as that hope may be.

But calling for a unsubbing protest is not going to make that happen, it's not going to move EA to suddenly devote resources to SWTOR instead of Anthem. If too many people unsub or stop buying from the Cartel Market, EA is going to do one thing: shut the game down. And is that what people want? To see this game be closed forever? Would that really be the better alternative?

If someone wants to take a break from this game or doesn't get enjoyment from it and wants to move onto something else, then by all means they should unsub. It's not healthy to force yourself to continue to do something you clearly don't want anymore. But calling for unsubbing protests is anything but prudent, as it will absolutely not have the intended result of moving EA into pouring more resources into this game.

Edited by Ylliarus

And clearly, the revenue they're making of off it is satisfying EA or otherwise they would have cut losses much earlier. If you want to view this negatively then that is of course your prerogative, but you can't present your views as facts. Especially in light of the article that clearly indicates that EA wants to continue these types of businesses. SWTOR is making EA a ton of revenue and they won't simply throw it away or forget about it, no matter how many projects they'll have Bioware working on. So no, the OP is not onto something here and unsubbing will not help you get your dissatisfaction be heard. If you are unhappy with the game and want to go onto something else, sure, go ahead and unsubscribe. But don't call for or expect others to follow your suit, simply out of protest.

News flash, there is a difference between revenue and profits. Actual profits are, at least, twice lower. And again, why do you think we're not getting consistent updates like during 2/3.x era? Because actual profits are LOW. Knowing that, EA does what is does best, which is milk it for all it's worth. Sure, you can stick around for as long as you want, OP said he will cancel his sub. Last time i checked, he's not urging anyone else.

Besides, where exactly i'm incorrect. or factually wrong? Do tell.

Edited by Spoloma

News flash, there is a difference between revenue and profits. Actual profits are, at least, twice lower. And again, why do you think we're not getting consistent updates like during 2/3.x era? Because actual profits are LOW. Knowing that, EA does what is does best, which is milk it for all it's worth. Sure, you can stick around for as long as you want, OP said he will cancel his sub. Last time i checked, he's not urging anyone else.

Besides, where exactly i'm incorrect. or factually wrong? Do tell.

You are already wrong in your statement that the OP is not urging anyone else to unsub. That alone is already telling there are flaws in your posts:

Consider this: SWTOR made 1 billion revenue with the current size playerbase. The MMO is not as big as WoW or ESO, if the same revenue numbers were released if SWTOR had millions of players, then yes, I would have agreed with you. But where WoW and ESO have millions each, this game has what, 300.000 or so? You can't therefore compare this MMO to the big ones, which have a lot more players to generate revenue and profits. The fact that SWTOR reached 1 billion with this playerbase size, shows that players are invested into this game and want to continue it. That is the signal that EA is getting from the game right now.

Do I agree more of those profits and revenue should be poured back into SWTOR? Absolutely. But honestly, would you rather see this game shutting down than continuing as it had all these years? Do you want to see it gone forever instead of getting regular but infrequent content updates like we do now? Because I know what I would rather have.

But honestly, would you rather see this game shutting down than continuing as it had all these years? Do you want to see it gone forever instead of getting regular but infrequent content updates like we do now? Because I know what I would rather have.

And honestly, don't take this the wrong way but to me you come off as you are letting your fear cloud your judgement a little .

You see someone who wanna Unsub as ''He gonna doom us all! I love this game, and I don't want it to be shut down'' .

What will you do, if all the clutching and holding you have been doing, turn out that in the end EA just doesn't care . They are and have been just milking every cent they could get and at some point they get this new super cool project and will turn off the Light on this game ?

Far from me to tell you how to feel or what to do . But telling peoples to cool off , to stick around cose there is hope in the horizon...is just not enough anymore .

In the end, if Swtor shut down. It won't be because its Players fault, they don't buy enough CC or Sub long enough.

It would be because EA decided so . You should turn your head a little above the players base, and look at Sauron! uh..I mean at EA! :D They are the one who made the ring that rule them ALL! XD

Okay..I shuttup now lolol

And honestly, don't take this the wrong way but to me you come off as you are letting your fear cloud your judgement a little .

You see someone who wanna Unsub as ''He gonna doom us all! I love this game, and I don't want it to be shut down'' .

What will you do, if all the clutching and holding you have been doing, turn out that in the end EA just doesn't care . They are and have been just milking every cent they could get and at some point they get this new super cool project and will turn off the Light on this game ?

Far from me to tell you how to feel or what to do . But telling peoples to cool off , to stick around cose there is hope in the horizon...is just not enough anymore .

In the end, if Swtor shut down. It won't be because its Players fault, they don't buy enough CC or Sub long enough.

It would be because EA decided so . You should turn your head a little above the players base, and look at Sauron! uh..I mean at EA! :D They are the one who made the ring that rule them ALL! XD

Okay..I shuttup now lolol

But perhaps a little hope or convincing is what some players may need to keep playing this game or give it one last shot? Of course, no one needs to listen to me as I am not any kind of authority. But perhaps a positive message or a different perspective than a solely negative one, may dispel the clouds someone else might have covering their vision :)

I do see where you are coming from and I know that, no matter how hard I might try, if EA decides to pull the plug, the plug will be pulled. But that doesn't mean players can't show one another different perspectives on this subject. Criticism has to be given when it's due, but the same has to be said of praise. And where Bioware and EA are making mistakes regarding SWTOR, there's also positive sides and aspects. Because if there were only negatives to this, the game wouldn't be making the revenue it does now.

I do see that EA is severely debilitating this game's potential. I know SWTOR could be as big as WoW or ESO if it received the right resources and manpower. And I wish that one day, that will indeed happen, as naive as that hope or wish may be. I am not blind to EA's doing, or lack of doing better said. But they own the licence to the Star Wars franchise, they have the exclusive right to making Star Wars games. So until that changes, no matter how much we'd want it, they'll remain in charge of the Star Wars franchise game-wise.

But there is hope on the horizon, just look at Jedi Fallen Order, it's slated to be a huge success! It's getting huge praise and very positive reviews by even the most critical of people. If EA sees the success such games can have, they might yet reconsider their stance on SWTOR, which is a game very much like Jedi Fallen Order, with even a bigger focus on story.

And clearly, the revenue they're making of off it is satisfying EA or otherwise they would have cut losses much earlier.

You have to bear in mind that EA has a license which expires soon. Why would you shut the game down before that, if you payed for the license already? A logical approach would be to milk as much money out of it, till you have the license with little investment into it.

You have to bear in mind that EA has a license which expires soon. Why would you shut the game down before that, if you payed for the license already? A logical approach would be to milk as much money out of it, till you have the license with little investment into it.

I doubt EA will loose the license, especially seeing as how well Jedi Fallen Order is doing. I think it's very likely that EA will have its license with Disney renewed by the time it expires. Because, whether we like it or not, EA is the only company that can afford to produce for a franchise like Star Wars. So, even if the initial license expires in several years, I think it's safe to say that Disney will renew it for EA.

Eww no thank you! I aint touching that one with the ''Can't make female or Alien, cose Humanity must look like your average white Joe''

:p

I guess anything is possible, as long as somoene keep the light on :D

Of course, to each their own! But the game's success can't be denied, however, especially with the very positive reviews it's getting :)

Edited by Ylliarus

You are already wrong in your statement that the OP is not urging anyone else to unsub. That alone is already telling there are flaws in your posts:

Consider this: SWTOR made 1 billion revenue with the current size playerbase. The MMO is not as big as WoW or ESO, if the same revenue numbers were released if SWTOR had millions of players, then yes, I would have agreed with you. But where WoW and ESO have millions each, this game has what, 300.000 or so? You can't therefore compare this MMO to the big ones, which have a lot more players to generate revenue and profits. The fact that SWTOR reached 1 billion with this playerbase size, shows that players are invested into this game and want to continue it. That is the signal that EA is getting from the game right now.

Do I agree more of those profits and revenue should be poured back into SWTOR? Absolutely. But honestly, would you rather see this game shutting down than continuing as it had all these years? Do you want to see it gone forever instead of getting regular but infrequent content updates like we do now? Because I know what I would rather have.

Do you think that urging people to dump more money into SWTOR is going to encourage Bioware to post more frequent content updates? Either way, whether unsubbing or opening our wallets, players have little to no impact over the decisions of our EA and Bioware overlords.

To be clear...I don't expect BW to drop content every week or every month. Every 3rd month is reasonable time. And I get it...people are running Red Reaper for Nth time now gearing up their alts. I myself have 2 weeks left to max out Onderon reputation. It renewed my sub days ago, but today I canceled it. NO more.

Like other people have said...and what I was saying...manpower and resources are going to Anthem,Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Do you think SW devs will say " hey y'all we are working on other games now,stay subbed, xoxo BW "

Anthem was 6 years in development with last year and half really being worked on. And game came out unfinished. 2 lead people left BW, because of it.

Game has one of most famous ip's in the world...it should be in the top 3 or top 5 game easy. WoW is still on only sub based model. This game went f2p within it's first year. And it isn't players fault. WoW,ESO, FF XIV are all booming. Because devs focus on that game.

How many times have we heard "this game doesn't have enough manpower,bla bla bla" . It does have it...it's just that is working on other stuff, because STAR WARS is keeping this thing running.

Story!?!?! What fking story...bringing back Malgus...what's next...time travel Maul back to Old Republic era ???

Trash Anthem is getting more support than this game, which is their bread and butter.

Exactly....in 3 month time we might get 20min story . Maybe new warzone or any other group content. But only one of those....maybe also new stronghold...then it's back to other game development time. Milk this STAR WARS some more...rinse and repeat.

Funny thread. We had this same discussion before Anthem launched and the devs trickled out content. Now the devs finally release an expansion almost the size of SoR not even a month ago. Yet somehow we’re back to Anthem lol. Honestly Yil, don’t waste your breath. Apparently, OP thinks we were supposed to get another expansion next month. 😂

Here’s what I hope/expect in 2020:

1. Patches and fixes to all the Onslaught content in early spring/ late winter. NiM Dxun, maybe some very minor content.

2. In the Spring some sort of minor content update.. maybe a story chapter with daily area, plus a new tier of augments or something..

3. Summer - another story chapter plus a world boss and a pvp map. Plus a new tier of gear.

4. Fall - an Ossus sized update. More augments/gear.

5. Early winter - expansion

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

And Jedi Fallen Order is a joke in my opinion. Poor clone of Uncharted and Prince of Perisa games. Cere is tottaly useless. I watched game through YouTUbe walkthorughs. Only good thing about it is,that it's focused on story., but even that is lacking logic. Greez is cool,but he and Cere are just props.

The guy makes a good point, why stay and pay for the game, that doesn't make any new content? Because of fanboyism? Even that has it's limits.

Well, that's where you are wrong. That's what fanboys do, they support something no matter how bad it is, meaning there's truly no limit to "fanboyism."

Fanboys tend to defend this game zealously with zero reason, taking every perceived slight of the game personally as if you attacked their own living mother. That's what fanboys do.

I do agree with Spoloma on the future of the game, though.

The game will continue as it has for years, netting zero real focus from BW because it soaks up just enough real money for them to pump out other awful games to try to milk more money from ignorant players and/or BW fanboys.

I remember when a player even created a thread on the forums begging BW to show some resources to SWTOR instead of pouring all their funds into Anthem. SWTOR deserves better, and so do all the players who have supported it over the years.

I even supported that thread with it in my link until it became clear nothing was going to change BW's greed or their affinity for neglecting SWTOR while it flounders in mediocrity and downright bad game design changes all while resources are dumped into dead-end projects like Anthem.

Just enjoy the ride, if you like SWTOR regardless of how they treat it, don't let news come out to sway you away from this game. I will say that. If it's good enough now, then it will be good enough 2 years from now unless you grow bored due to a lack of content (which is possible.)

You are already wrong in your statement that the OP is not urging anyone else to unsub. That alone is already telling there are flaws in your posts.

Got me there, but that alone tells there is ONE flaw in my post.

The MMO is not as big as WoW or ESO, if the same revenue numbers were released if SWTOR had millions of players, then yes, I would have agreed with you. But where WoW and ESO have millions each, this game has what, 300.000 or so?

SWTOR had all the chances to compete and surpass WOW, but it was wasted, in a similar manner, as in Anthem. It had an identity or rather genre crisis, where is was labeled as mmo rpg, but it, in fact, was story rpg set in mmo environment. It’s launch was actually quite successful, much better then ESO on pc. However, devs later on stated, that there will be no more class stories and actual mmo content was still month away, so after first 3 month, huge chunk of players left. Only launch of ROTHC managed to bring some of them back. Revenue for 2013 is higher then ESO launch in 2014, so it was doing quite well.

SOR had lower numbers, which can very well be attributed to buggy launch, mediocre story, broken scaling, new utility system…Yet, still it was 100 mil+. Had they not went full retard with KOTFE/KOTET, they would have had higher revenue for sure.

But, it’s not what happened. Both “expansions” saw massive player exodus, so remainers hoped for Legion-like expansion, but we got joke of a DLC. It’s barely worth 1 month sub, if anything.

In the end, it’s not our fault, that swtor fares poorly, it’s EA and BWA who don’t want to invest anything into SWTOR again. And latest news on Anthem only proves that. Just think about it, they want to invest AGAIN into the game, that totally flopped. And not a small investment. They want to completely overhaul the game. May be it’s me, but it kinda shows their priorities.

Edited by Spoloma

Funny thread. We had this same discussion before Anthem launched and the devs trickled out content. Now the devs finally release an expansion almost the size of SoR not even a month ago. Yet somehow we’re back to Anthem lol. Honestly Yil, don’t waste your breath. Apparently, OP thinks we were supposed to get another expansion next month. 😂

Here’s what I hope/expect in 2020:

1. Patches and fixes to all the Onslaught content in early spring/ late winter. NiM Dxun, maybe some very minor content.

2. In the Spring some sort of minor content update.. maybe a story chapter with daily area, plus a new tier of augments or something..

3. Summer - another story chapter plus a world boss and a pvp map. Plus a new tier of gear.

4. Fall - an Ossus sized update. More augments/gear.

5. Early winter - expansion

Excuse me, but are we speaking of Onslaught dlc? Even Oricon dlc has more content, then this "expansion".

Dont remember correctly, but SOR launched with 2 fps, 2 raids and 4-5 hour story. That's not even half of what we got with onslaught.

Besides, if what you say is true, i will be the first on forums, creating thread praising the progress, but it's highly unlikely. If it was planed out this way, we'd get roadmap, rather then promises of "something" around February.

Edited by Spoloma