Phantom and Spymaster gear changes

Karaiblis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been away to blow up a few Dread Guard (yay, the shackle quest has been fixed and loads of mobs removed from Heroic 4) and gather my thoughts.

Underlying my indignation at the start was the sense of loss of time I'd invested into earning credits to purchase the items on the GTN. I've since come to realise this isn't the real issue I'm angry, after all I've happily spent 850K on pets I never have out.

No, the real reason I am angry at this change....

Finally I had a sexy, sleek, black leather Ninja Spy wannabe and you've taken it away!

Players care deeply about the look of their characters, I would have thought common sense would dictate preference should go to those who had spent resources to purchase the item and BIND it to them for the look. At no time was a player forced to bind the item to them having gained it from the Cartel Pack, they could to chose to sell it on the GTN and then wait for a new version of the gear to become available in a future cartel pack and buy that from the GTN with the coins they made from selling the first... I would imagine they would have made a fair profit. Last time I looked on Red Eclipse Revan Chestpieces were selling for ~75K while Phantom chestguard pre-change ~300k.

In time, a day or two at the most, I'll recoup the credit loss I incurred through this. What I really want is a set of sleek black armour with no addons and preferably not a skirt (Like posters before I elected to use the Spymaster leggings to get the complete Ninja Spy look).

While making people pay for something and then taking it away is called...what...hmmm... scam? Robbery?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They "made" people buy it? Are you ******** me? Those packs, and EVERYTHING, in the cartel market are OPTIONAL. Nobody MADE them buy anything. And anyone who bought the packs, got the chest piece and expected it to STAY that way are just...yeah no.

Tough luck. Get over it, BW did what they said they were gonna do. Go cry in a corner somewhere else.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They "made" people buy it? Are you ******** me? Those packs, and EVERYTHING, in the cartel market are OPTIONAL. Nobody MADE them buy anything. And anyone who bought the packs, got the chest piece and expected it to STAY that way are just...yeah no.

Tough luck. Get over it, BW did what they said they were gonna do. Go cry in a corner somewhere else.

No one has said anyone was MADE to buy anything.

Many people, on the other hand, have said that people who bought something had a reasonable expectation (by reasonable, I mean 'at point of sale') that their purchase would not abruptly be re-modelled into something they would not have chosen to spend money on. A bit like if you bought a TV and a month later the vendor took it back and forced you to have a kettle.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nope. I'll cry here, just to annoy you.

Besides, what you said can be said for any scam: nobody forced the scammed person at gunpoint to give in to the scam. That would be robbery. But deception and unethical practice are what makes a scam.

So yeah, thanks for answering the question for me: scam it is.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hi Mr. BW employee or hardcore fan. So your saying we should expect anything we buy to randomly change it's appearance every patch. Sounds like it's getting close to un-sub time.

I understand that the devs want the actual items to match the CC market pictures, but that's a bit of a farce when we can look at the individual items in the market (and on the GTN) and SHIFT + Click it to see how it appears on our characters.

That is far more important to us than what a crappy little low rez image on a pack shows...

NOT happy about the trailblazer change at all! My smuggler had that helmet because of the looks. If I wanted goggles, I'd have BOUGHT something with goggles. Now I have to find a replacement AND pay more credits and another augment slot to put on it. They could have ADDED a set instead of changing one that didn't need changed.

Just chiming in, on the off-chance BW reads this...

...also very disappointed with the changes.

I actually designed an alt's complete look, including hair color around the Spymaster set, and now it looks awful. Please either revert the change, or at least add the old graphic as a new item. It had a really unique wetsuit look before, now it looks like generic leveling gear.

While I kind of understand the need of Bioware to "correct" the look to match what was advertise., I still hate the new Phantom look., and IMO I think that a large number of us didn't bought the item based on the advert but base on the preview pane appearance.

The post actually didn't state WHAT they were going to fix either. Just that the gear should look like the promo, and that they would fix it. But they didn't state whether they were going to fix the gear OR the promo!

The promo should've been fixed..

Considering the promo was the intended version, that's what they delivered on. It's false advertising to those who bought the packs before BW acknowledged they were incorrect if BW didn't fix it so they did.

Considering the promo was the intended version, that's what they delivered on. It's false advertising to those who bought the packs before BW acknowledged they were incorrect if BW didn't fix it so they did.

Responsible practice would have been to pull the affected items from sale as soon as a problem was flagged up and unspecified future changes decided upon, until they had been fixed.

Having failed to do that, and so created this mess, BW should make more effort to sort it out to the satisfaction of everyone caught up in it.

The old phantom looked unique. The new phantom just looks like a rehash of already existing armor. If I wanted to look like a generic Sith Sorcerer why would I have bought phantom armor when Revan's was sooooo much cheaper?

The real sad thing about all this is a quick search of the forums revealed only one measly thread complaining about how the phantom armor didn't look as advertised.. and that thread only had 9 posts, most of which were "NO! DON"T CHANGE IT!".

It's also false advertising to those who used their ingame preview function. Which are a lot more of those that bought it based on the Cartel PAck image.

Is it also false advertisement that I've bought plenty of packs where NONE of the items advertised were in the pack?

Wouldn't it actually be false advertisement since none of the packs contain ALL the pieces shown on the artistic impression used for advertisement, but on very rare cases only 2 at BEST? Two PARTS of COMPLETE outfits, that is.

Oh, and how about that WHITE dancer top advertised on the newest pack? I don't mind a red one, but that's not the point, the advertisement clearly displayed a WHITE top! Of slightly different model too, by the way.

The problem I have with the 'False Advertising' claims is that it is based on gear you 'might' get. There are many items that are available from the packs that don't appear on the pack art. I guess you go to third party sites to see what's in the packs and the chances you might have of getting them.

I think in this matter BW needs to be a bit more transparent. When you buy an equipment pack of armour it expands to show the individual items in the pack and lets you preview each piece and build up the whole set.

If BW listed all the potentially available items in a Cartel Pack this way then all this furore about how an item should look would never have happened. Despite having cover art that suggested a look it would have been easy to scan the items in the pack list and see that no item matched the cover art. At this point the player can chose not to buy the cartel pack.

I'm not going to rant, threaten to rage-quit, or report anyone to the BBB, because I'm an adult - and because this is a video game. I didn't spend real dollars on the Phantom Armors, because they weren't that hard to acquire with a few dailies, but I did put time into the design of a Shadow to wear the armor, and I had planned on wearing it more or less permanently. I honestly didn't know there was a mistake, because I don't buy cartel packs. I pop into the forums from time to time but, as a creature of habit, I only check a couple locations and look at patch notes. While it is true that the onus should fall on me to read the developer's notes regarding known issues, the fact that the armor wasn't restricted until it was fixed led me and many others, obviously, to believe that there wasn't a problem or an upcoming fix for it. The reason I was so pleased with the Phantom Armor was that it looked so functional. It looked like something a Sniper, Operative, or Shadow would wear; sleek, dark, and uncomplicated. To top it all off, I got to see my character's hair. I cannot be the only person who plays this game who takes all of the character customization seriously, and by slapping a giant hood on my head, not only have you made the armor look less functional (no peripheral vision, muffled hearing), but you're hiding my hair, again. I put hair on my character for a reason: because it coordinates with the overall aesthetic. The armor and pink/purple saber looked absolutely killer on my pureblood sith, and the fact that I could actually see her hair rapidly made her a new favorite character.

Like I said, this is not going to ruin my gameplay experience, cause me to unsub, or try to get anyone in trouble. I can understand if there were people upset about dropping coin on cartel packs only to find out the armor they wanted didn't look like the artwork, but I think the developers might have inadvertently forgot that there were quite a few people who were pleasantly surprised at an armor option that didn't look like a walking pile of laundry or deranged Transformer.

I don't post here often. I've enjoyed the game since launch, I play nearly every day, and I generally find very little to complain about. If the Phantom Armor was a mistake, it was like penicillin. If you don't bring that particular armor back, I'm here to tell you that you should seriously consider adding more like it.

Or for the sake of all that is sweet and sticky in Odin's beard, incorporate a hood toggle.

I loved the sleek, catsuit look of my Spymaster chest piece - unique among Jedi characters - now completely ruined with no alternative available on the GTN.

I also won't play the game until the Spymaster armour is changed back or an alternative is available.

Edited by RenegadeClone

I paid a substantial amount of credits on the GTN for 2 of the Phantom chest pieces based on what they looked like in game. Who just goes and makes changes to existing gear? This is inexplicable. They are completely hideous now. I just don't get it.

Just one bad decision after another, Bioware.

Best thing to do is for them to release the old version as an alternate, and have a limited time where it can be exchanged free of charge.

I can understand some of the anger but constantly insulting the devs isnt really helping anyhthing, and quite likely makes them more prone to ignore a legitimate complaint. Before you say it it's not their job to troll thru the muck to find the rose so to speak. Say what you need to say without the insults, just makes you look bad, and doesnt help your cause, whatever it may be at all.

TLDR

I support the spirit of the thread, and not the venom within it.