buying a new processor

chaoswarriorcris

i have a socket 775 so the best upgrade i could find for that socket type was a Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 Wolfdale 3.06GHz, would that be good to pvp at a decent frame rate because atm i am getting 10 to 5 fps and it is unplayable, it is not my gpu i got a nvidia geforce gtx 550ti. Edited by chaoswarriorcris

it is the only socket 775 intel core 2 that is a quad core on the market atm, manly because socket 775 is old and for me to get the better one, i3 i5 and i7 intels i would have to get a new motherboard which i do not want to do, so im set on the Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 Wolfdale 3.06GHz but if my fps is going to be **** when i pvp i do not want it, i am trading in my xbox 360 for this cpu so i was hoping someone would have some input before i trade in my xbox and buy this cpu.

I've been told by multiple people to never upgrade just the CPU. Always mobo + cpu, especially if the mobo is outdated.

Newegg has nice combo deals where you can get a mobo and cpu together and save a chunk of change, plus free shipping.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I just wanted to pass on the advice I was given.

yeah but the problem there is getting a new operating system which costs $100, i would get a new board tho if i could get a operating system for a lower price.

Why do you have to get a new operating system?Motherboard is completely independent from operating system.

The OS is installed to your harddrive, and you can swap OS from harddrive to harddrive as long as your keep your OS CDKEY. The motherboard just connects everything together.

Edited by DeltaGun

Also, you would have to upgrade the memory if you change the motherboard, I have a total of 500 bucks with tax in MB, i5 2500k and 16gb of ram, I'm set for the next 4-5 years now with video card upgrades.

Plus my board can go to the new Ivy Bridge CPU's when they come out this spring if I want to change it and have PCIx 3.0 for the new line of PCIx 3.0 cards.

Why do you have to get a new operating system?Motherboard is completely independent from operating system.

The OS is installed to your harddrive, and you can swap OS from harddrive to harddrive as long as your keep your OS CDKEY. The motherboard just connects everything together.

With Windows 7 you are limited to the number of times you can change hardware and activating it without having to buy a new cdkey (supposedly).

Regarding the operating system issue... since Windows XP they implemented activation, which links the computer you're installing the operating system on to the specific hardware. You are allowed to make certain changes to the system without invalidating your "Genuine" status, however, the motherboard and processor, considered by Microsoft to be the heart of the system, generally cannot be changed in one fell swoop, as this constitutes (by Microsoft's definition) a new computer.

OEM versions of Windows are bound to that system and mobo/cpu for life, that's it. Retail versions tend to have more leeway.

Now, as regards CPU upgrades for the OP's specific system, the best thing I can recommend is to look up the supported CPU list on your motherboard manufacturer's website. If you've got an LGA775 board, which is itself a bit dated, I would NOT buy a new processor. Look in the supported CPU list, find a few high-end processors, write down their product codes.

Then check eBay for used processors. While you need to do your research, a decent used CPU is fairly easy to locate on eBay.

when i had vista i bought a new CPU and Mobo for my computer and i had to reinstall windows after all that you just need to call microsoft support and they will transfer it for you that is how i did it

Yeah I heard if you call them they will always let you do it. Even if you make up some bullcrap and never had a legit copy in the first place, lol.

Edited by DeltaGun