Utra noob impressions...why do I feel like I'm running in sand?

LordArtemis

First, I appreciate all the feedback, and would like to point out again that it could very well be that I am playing the class wrong or just don't have the hang of it yet. Hence the noob impressions disclaimer...

I am a mix of a clicker/HK player. It depends on how comfortable I am with the build and what I am doing. Generally speaking I usually click for open world PVE play, everything else I use binds.

There's your problem. As a marauder for ANY situation. Use keybinds. I highly recommend investing in a gaming keyboard and mouse. My personal preference for keyboard is the SteelSeries Merc Stealth

There's your problem. As a marauder for ANY situation. Use keybinds. I highly recommend investing in a gaming keyboard and mouse. My personal preference for keyboard is the SteelSeries Merc Stealth

I use a laptop mostly with a good ol' mouse i got in a Staple for 40$. I find alt/ctrl/shift to be more affordable :p

I'm kind of partial to my Thermaltake eSPORTS CHALLENGER Pro KB and mouse. Merc Stealth is a great KB.

I'm kind of partial to my Thermaltake eSPORTS CHALLENGER Pro KB and mouse. Merc Stealth is a great KB.

Well, the Merc Stealth has the side area specific for gaming, that fan that the Thermaltake has though is kinda nice and handy, but you could go out and buy a cheap 10$ - 30$ box fan and cool more than your hand. and the Merc has 2 Usb ports plus a mic and headphone jack.

Well, the Merc Stealth has the side area specific for gaming, that fan that the Thermaltake has though is kinda nice and handy, but you could go out and buy a cheap 10$ - 30$ box fan and cool more than your hand. and the Merc has 2 Usb ports plus a mic and headphone jack.

Merc is hands down better than my board. I like my board and puck though because, for its price point it has quite a bit of ruggedness, reliability and flexibility, as well as pretty good features.

The fan thing is useless though IMO. USB ports are underpowered but not completely useless.

Merc is hands down better than my board. I like my board and puck though because, for its price point it has quite a bit of ruggedness, reliability and flexibility, as well as pretty good features.

The fan thing is useless though IMO. USB ports are underpowered but not completely useless.

I have 2 Usb ports on the front of my PC, one is being taken up by the Merc, and the other is for my third party wireless 360 controller adapter, on my Merc, i have my Mic (USB Logitech mic) and my Phone Charger, the rest of the ports on the rear of my PC arent used at all. so it's quite handy to have the 2 USB ports, and since for some reason the rear audio jack broke on my PC i have to route from the front the Merc's audio cable, then plug my Altec Lancing speakers + Subwoofer into my Merc just to get audio. Kind of a pain. but by the time i hit College i want to rebuild a new PC from the ground up. though, for christmas i plan to ask for a GTX 660 which would give me quite the graphics boost from my GTX 560. And hopefully today my new moniter (The ASUS VG248QE) Comes in so that i can have a nice 1ms Response Time and 144hz Refresh Rate, and no more issues with SWTOR auto changing my refresh rate to 75 on my moniter (Which really bugs out the graphics on the moniter).

I know what he's referring to.

Basically, you don't notice this much for ranged classes. When you enter combat, your "Sprint" power turns off. It might as well be a passive, but hey. At launch it wasn't unlocked 'till level 16ish. Now all my characters effectively always have it on.

To counter this, Bind crippling slash to something and use it, they'll be slower than you and that's when you melt them.

All good points, but I really feel like the original point stands. Sure, there are ways around the issue, but only after walking someone through the paces do you find the solutions.

That works for me (thank you by the way) as does overleveling a bit, but what about the folks that do not peruse the forums?

Many classes have an "oomph" factor for the novice IMO. Inqs at one time had a 360 push, BHs have rockets, Troopers have huge cannons and sweeping attacks, Snipers and Smugglers have powered shots and cover. All iconic and fun IMO.

Marauders have the jump, which is awesome to a nooblet IMO, but it is followed by sand. The sand part is what concerns me. The mobility should be much better at close range IMO.

All good points, but I really feel like the original point stands. Sure, there are ways around the issue, but only after walking someone through the paces do you find the solutions.

That works for me (thank you by the way) as does overleveling a bit, but what about the folks that do not peruse the forums?

Many classes have an "oomph" factor for the novice IMO. Inqs at one time had a 360 push, BHs have rockets, Troopers have huge cannons and sweeping attacks, Snipers and Smugglers have powered shots and cover. All iconic and fun IMO.

Marauders have the jump, which is awesome to a nooblet IMO, but it is followed by sand. The sand part is what concerns me. The mobility should be much better at close range IMO.

You really should go to sorc and merc forum that are annoyed by lacking tools to keep melee of them as it is :p

Its a balancing choice in the end. In this game they gave melee a lot of active abilities or passive talent in the trees to boost their own mobility, and lots of snares/roots. So its about adding speed to yourself when needed, and making sure whatever you are chasing is slowed to a bigger crawl. However, it does work, currently in mdps's favor imo.

You really should go to sorc and merc forum that are annoyed by lacking tools to keep melee of them as it is :p

Its a balancing choice in the end. In this game they gave melee a lot of active abilities or passive talent in the trees to boost their own mobility, and lots of snares/roots. So its about adding speed to yourself when needed, and making sure whatever you are chasing is slowed to a bigger crawl. However, it does work, currently in mdps's favor imo.

Well, again, your speaking of PVP, and any changes made to increase mobility in PVE could be disabled in PVP. Also, IMO, removing the damage component of the "short jump" could increase mobility but remove some DPS from the equation to balance it out.

One of the mistakes I think they made was the removal of the 360 degree knockback. That was a silly change IMO.