OK...Newbie healer here...

Conundrum-NSA

When their hitpoints get low, cast a healing spell. Don't overheal, this game is pretty unforgiving in resource management. Drop Force Armor on the tank before he pulls and use the synergism from the Rejuvenate/Conveyance talents to minimize your resource expenses.

But most importantly, remember the low hitpoints thing. They get really pissed when they have 0 hitpoints left.

If the tank dies, it's your fault.

If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault.

If the DPS die, it's their own dang fault. ;)

In all seriousness, I think one of the most important concepts a newbie healer needs to be aware of is triage: If it gets to the point where a lot of people are taking damage, you've got to prioritize your heals thusly - keep yourself alive, keep the tank alive, then you can heal the DPS.

Don't forget to watch your own health bar, it's easy to get tunnel vision on the tank's.

Don't be afraid to let the group know you need to wait a second to recover Force.

Don't over-heal. Your heals are all situational, know which ones to use when. You've generally got a quick but inefficient Force-usage heal, a medium sized, medium efficiency heal, and a large, slow cheap heal. You'll also have some utility/preventative heals - make use of those when appropriate, they'll save you Force in the long run.

Watch your threat. If you're pulling aggro by trying to heal everyone - see triage.

Gonna try something new for this game....gonna go Sage and try heavy or possibly even full healing spec.

Any advice for a newbie healer?

Don't go up the healing tree first. Ther are about 5 points in the second tree( telekenetics I think at work atm). one adds 100 force to your pool and the other increses healing by a certain %. After that shoot up the healing tree. I did the reverese in beta and found that some of the instances were more challenging due to low force. The extra 100 force really helps.

Edited by Spectrallight

You must be new to MMOs, everyone knows everything bad is the healer's fault. :)

I'm hoping that's sarcasm lol

Also: As someone already said, watch your Force use, don't overheal. This can be avoided by testing exactly what the range is on every heal you have and making sure you don't use one too big for what someone needs. We have a couple HoTs so be careful with those to.

Edited by Yrayl

If the tank dies, it's your fault.

If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault.

If the DPS die, it's their own dang fault. ;)

After years of different MMOs my anecdotal experience is wipes are the cause of:

Healers: 10%

Tanks: 20%

DPS: 70%

Far as advice goes: Manage your force points, relying on HoTs as much as possible. Always keep stocked with stims/med packs etc. They really do make a difference when the bantha poodoo hits the ventilator. Most importantly, monitor your own health. Like others have said, it's easy to get caught up in the moment and forget to protect yourself. Good luck.

Edited by mmsock

Just a few points (coming from a pvp healing point of view). Sorry if they've already been raised....

Shields are your friends. They give you breathing space to assess what's going on with the damaged target and whether you can get away with hoting them and moving on or spending some time focus healing them.

Get used to your heals. This seems obvious but better gear will improve your heals. This can lead to inefficiency due to overhealing until you get used to the new numbers. It's always worth just spamming heals on yourself for a bit just to feel them out when you get new stuff.

Time will teach you which heal to use when and that takes time.

Get another set of eyes. You're watching bars, immediate space around you AND immediate space around the people you're in charge of. Unfortunately you're expected to cover a lot of other people's idiocy...people love to stand in fire or right next to the 6 guys hitting them.

Get a thick skin. People love crying about healing.

PVP will make you a better healer. You learn to become more reactive. You'll also develop that thick skin quickly.

And never forget... the "lets see if you can get to 1hp before I heal you" game is cruel.....but very very fun.

Edited by cakeyeah

Put 5 points into telekinetics first - for the 100 extra force and 9% reduced force cost on healing abilities.

As has been said, triage is very important. Keep the tank up over DPS who are being stupid and pulling aggro on other pats. However, don't go so crazy keeping the tank up that you end up dying yourself - you do no healing when dead.

Try and resist the urge to spam heal. It's not like WoW, where mana pools allow an "ABC" or "Always be Casting" mantra. If someone is on 70% HP that's fine - don't waste a heal on them, especially if they're a DPS. The exception to this is if you know that there is a big spike of unavoidable damage incoming. However so far I've not seen anything unavoidable that takes off 70% of someone's HP.

Spell selection is quite important - ESPECIALLY as a Sage. We have a pretty big toolset once we level up and, taking into consideration the Conveyance talent, selecting the right tool for the right job is important.

KEEP CALM! Take it from me, who's raided as a healer at a high level in WoW's endgame, a panicking healer is going to do more harm than good. Relax and practice in flashpoints and you'll soon develop a kind of "feel" or intuition for it. As you get more comfortable you'll start doing things by instinct - that's the point you want to be at.

So basically, keep calm, prioritise your healing, use the right tool for the right job and, above all, have fun! You are always going to get ******s in games like this, who stand in fire then die and yell "*** HEALER." Just ignore them!

And never forget... the "lets see if you can get to 1hp before I heal you" game is cruel.....but very very fun.

+1

Totally agree here once you are confidant in healing you can some serious fun as sometimes it can get a bit boring just healing.

:D

Gonna try something new for this game....gonna go Sage and try heavy or possibly even full healing spec.

Any advice for a newbie healer?

Soloing Advice :

Qyzen Fess is your friend. Set him into tank mode (turn on regen and his taunt) and he'll keep the mobs off you. Just keep throwing heals on him.

Grouping Advice :

The Group Tank is your friend. If youre bored and not too busy you can throw the odd heal on the DPS , but generally you're better off throwing that extra heal on the tank than you are saving the dps's life. He can be rezzed after the battle.

During a flash point you will have to judge your companions, especialy the DPS'ers , and decide for yourself which ones impress, and therefore should get heals when the going gets tough , and which ones just don't cut it or keep messing up , in which case throw the heal at hte tank and tell them the tank had priority.

In a special way , you are the power behind the throne, the king maker, and your judgement can make or break a group.

How do you experienced healers set yourself up in this game in regards to UI and keybindings?

How r you selecting your target through F!, F2 etc or clicking on them and using keybinds to heal?

any advice for a setup?

Having played a healer in various games, I have one bit of advice that I have yet to see posted...

Every player has a class they like more then others, and each of those think they know your class better then you do. If you get suggestions, like above, try them and see if they work for you. If they don't, move on and try something else. Being a healer can be one of the most rewarding or most aggravating things you do in any game. Play it in a way that you enjoy. If that means using or ignoring other suggestions, so be it. As long as you and your meat shield pet survive, it is all good.

Welcome to the fold of Healing.

Use you Operation frames as party frames and set the height and width so you can easily see everyone's health. Move the frames on you screen to be easily seen but not to where that's all you see. You will still need to be aware of you surroundings, i.e. bad stuff on ground.

The best advice I can give is to practice. Learn what heals do what and when to use each. Someone mentioned Battlezones, very good place to practice.

Don't get discouraged. You will make mistakes and people will die. Sometimes it's your fault, sometimes it's not. Just keep at it and you will be fine.

Edited by Kajanii

Last time a played a pure support class

A Healer isn't a 'support' class. If you aren't there, everyone is wiped. I absolutely hate the term 'support' class. It is like being called a slave or something, and considering everyone that isn't a healer thinks /sarcasm healing is easy. Healers are just there to make sure that everyone else, i.e. DPS, can have fun..../sarcasm off

Sorry, pet peeve.

:D

Way back in EQ, we called it the purple club. In that game, you didn't die until your hp dropped below -30. Between -30 and 0 you were unconscious but still alive. It was possible to land a heal on the tank when they were in the narrow window and had fallen over unconscious. It was pure luck, though. You can't plan for your tank hp to land in that range when they're getting hit for 10k+.

I'm a new healer too, and the advice here is really sound!

The only advice I have as a fellow newbie - practice, practice, practice. If you have a friend in the game and can practice healing him/her on some heroics or even mucking around questing, do it. Find a keybind scenario that works for you - whether it's clicking, function keys, keys on the mouse - whatever seems easiest and most instinctual is right for you. Just go with it.