Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Mako the only real useful companion?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Is Mako the only real useful companion?

metalfenix
01.24.2012 , 06:06 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by swtorsaber View Post
If you're a healer Mako is really very useless in combat. It entirely depends on what advanced class you pick, that's why the companions have different skillsets.
This. As Merc (Bodyguard speced) Mako was a burden for me and I couldn't practice my healing besides FP and heroics, so I ditched her for gault, and I'm doing fine in alderaan. Now I have to heal often, but again, I'm a healer so that's my job

Now, my Jugger could use someone like mako...Vette is good until you realize you need some heals now and then...
Koltowolf'Raf Commando Healer / Raf'HiredHealer Mercenary Healer
Rafa-el Scoundrel Healer
Server: The Harbinger

FrostyDroid
01.24.2012 , 06:22 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by metalfenix View Post
This. As Merc (Bodyguard speced) Mako was a burden for me and I couldn't practice my healing besides FP and heroics, so I ditched her for gault, and I'm doing fine in alderaan. Now I have to heal often, but again, I'm a healer so that's my job

Now, my Jugger could use someone like mako...Vette is good until you realize you need some heals now and then...
Did you try her DPS stance, and turn off her healing abilities?

It would be nice to see some more hybrid-y companions.
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
It's incredible because it is not true.
As for expectations, we've always said that are not making another Star Wars sandbox, we are creating a different game.
I quote Zoeller now. Zoeller quotes are cool.

metalfenix
01.24.2012 , 06:30 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by FrostyDroid View Post
Did you try her DPS stance, and turn off her healing abilities?

It would be nice to see some more hybrid-y companions.
I tried disabling them, but her damage is a bit lacking (and I had her blaster updated), specially compared to gault. With her I had to focus mainly on DPSing instead of healing and doing some DPS.
Koltowolf'Raf Commando Healer / Raf'HiredHealer Mercenary Healer
Rafa-el Scoundrel Healer
Server: The Harbinger

DarrkLore
01.24.2012 , 10:09 AM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Jaxey View Post
I find non of them are worth using while questing other than Mako, if Mako is not out Im spam healing a mediocre DPS or spam healing a crapy tank until my companion is dead then Im soloing stuff. It takes longer and much more stressful.

Maybe it changes at lvl 50 (im lvl 48 now) but not sure why they would add other companions who are not really much use other than crafting?

Thanks
If you're healing why would you use Mako? Mako is really useful if you're a tank, but I think you'd be much better off with a DPS or tank companion as a healer. Torian does really good DPS, I've been using him lately and I'm a tank so if I can use him I'm sure you can. You could have Blizz tank too but I'm not sure how good he is since I haven't quite gotten him yet.
ε╬╣!!!!╠▀▀{}▀(████████████████████████████████████████)

Hardwear
01.24.2012 , 11:16 AM | #65
It depends on your class, skill set and if you can compentently equip your companion with the right gear for the right situation.

As a heal specced merc I use Blizz for pve duties he has 17k hit pts good damage mitigation and holds aggro better than many real players but, in delicate situations that involve multiple targets and require cc you have to remember to turn off his EMP blast and Salvaged rocket launcher aoe abilities or he will aggro everything within range.

I use Gault for ranged dps and I use Torian for meless dps both with open world pvp in mind.

Mako is useless for me since I'm a healer but, for other classes I assume she would be very useful if euipped properly.
Squadron: 1020 367

radersdad
01.24.2012 , 11:26 AM | #66
Wow. Ttally different experience for me. I love Mako but her best ability is being adorable. As a tank I find stuff takes too long to die when it is just Mako and I so we end up R&R after tough fights anyway :/

If you have BioChem (and you really should) use a dps companion (who can wear your dps gear) and nuke stuff. Your reusable medpacs keep you and your companion up well enough for most anything. ToR is designed so there is not a ton of misses (by you or the mobs) so unloading everything with a dps companion going first = dead mobs.

Of course your milage may vary. Her Electro-stasis is handy and her company priceless but in the end she is just a pretty sidekick....

Kunovega
01.24.2012 , 02:22 PM | #67
for most encounters i actually use the droid: equip him properly and he is a healer tank (equiping him is not obvious and takes an inordinate amount of time to hunt down components that can be modded or bribing someone into making something for you)

by using the droid i am able to use the other 5 (who are now at full 10,000 affection) to do non stop missions with bonuses from affection

if an encounter is too hard for the droid (rare) than my choices are:

mako (if i need a better healer and im currently using dps spec)

gault (if i need max damage and im using a healer spec)

blizz or torian (if i need a bit more damage but mainly need a tank, torian holds better agro, blizz does more damage, neither does as much as gault, but gault cant tank)

skadge i simply dont use, maybe i dont have him properly equipped but he does no damage and dies fast, and i hate him

if you are dps spec, mako is 99% of the time the best choice, if you are healer spec or tank spec you have more versatility in choosing who to use to best fit the situation

if you are just doing routine farming, the droid is actually useable so that you can maximize your missions success/crit rates
This is not the signature you're looking for... But since you are here, use this link:
http://www.swtor.com/r/Xv5WwL
Get free stuff (mailed to you in game on every character) and a Free Character Transfer!

Caustica
01.24.2012 , 02:43 PM | #68
I used Mako exclusively till i got Blizz, and it felt like she was the only real option since she healed, but i think thats just a psycological thing. Even with Mako i used the Recharge & Reload inbetween fights cause it was faster than waiting for her to heal you up.

I fell in total love with Blizz when i got him (he rivals Mako in adorable-ness), so i figured i'd give him a try, at first it felt abit shaky, but after a visit to AH and 100k on some pimp gear (blue/purple), he kicks ***. atm, i only use Mako for very high-hp mobs who has pull/slow mechanics that messes up kiting.
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashface View Post
I imagine they pulled them from actual server data, as opposed to your source, which appears to be your arse.

xioix
01.24.2012 , 02:46 PM | #69
I used to think so but after giving Gault good gear, I'm not going back to Mako (I'm a tank). It is true what they say, "what do you need heals for when your opponent is dead?"

GuruMaux
01.24.2012 , 10:26 PM | #70
It's pretty simple: You need a dps in your duo for fast leveling, you need a tank/healer combo for tough fights (champions, Heroic2, some class quests, or when you are close to falling asleep).

So, as a rule of thumb: healers spec should go gault/torian most of the time, switching for skadge/blizz when needed; tanks should go gault/torian most of the time, Mako when need arises; Dps spec should prolly go mako all the way.