It's offical, we're canon!

BrianDavion

So I got the Imperial Handbook for christmas, which,per Disney's new Canon policy is canon... it specificly mentioned the Rakata Star Forge, the Malachor V mass shadow generator, and the Shock Drum from the JK class story, as being examples of "pre-republic super weapons"

Looks like the KOTOR series has entered the realm of SW canon

Hmm, I think when people refer to Legends, it doesn't mean the things mentioned in there never happened, just that moviemakers don't have to hold onto every specific detail that happens in said Legend stories/events. :p They could say those weapons are examples, but then in movies could alter some qualitites of them, or their actual history here and there to fit the movies.

TL: DR: IMHO in a way Legends are canon but only called as such so future content makers aren't bound by too many details and free to add some twists. :)

Edited by Y-Yorle

In September, becker&mayer! Books, the Imperial Handbook's publisher, confirmed that the Handbook is "Legends" as well (and also implied that they, becker&mayer!, are considering Legends a separate continuity 'universe', but that's another story).

It was probably already commissioned before the change-over happened and got 'grandfathered in' to being released after the point when everything was supposed to be Canon.

Source - from b&m's official FB page

Edited by DarthDymond

TL: DR: IMHO in a way Legends are canon but only called as such so future content makers aren't bound by too many details and free to add some twists. :)
True, but the situation is rather different for Od Republic era compared to post-ROTJ era. Episode 7 will likely wipe-out majority of previous post-ROTJ continuity simply by making it incompatible with itself, while there's not much really reason to do the same with Old Republic era as it has always been created with future FILM events in mind, so it will never even have a chance to conflict at the same level

yeah generally speaking IMHO the pre-ROTJ EU is reasonably safe.

well I'm given the impression there was some work on it before the offical announcement and all there's also lots of stuff from SW: Rebels etc in it. so it's not like they've not gone back and fixed stuff

Edited by BrianDavion

Not only is everything that has already been said true, but the vast majority of the stuff that has appeared in Star Wars: The Old Republic, is actually 100% compatible with Disney Canon. The only area where we might possibly have potential conflicts is in regards to the absolute massive amounts of Anachronism present in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Seriously, Naga Sadow lived in circa 4,400 BBY; in his day and age they were using long shards of Crystals (or in some cases metals) as their version of Lightsabers. You can't go from that exceedingly primitive form of pre-metal technology to a laser sword in less than 800 years. I mean look at it here on earth, Flint Bladed Knives have been found dating back as far as 1.4 million years on this planet, and we STILL haven't progressed to Laser Swords. So how did they?

Yeah this is an example of Anachronism at it's absolute finest.

Granted the early proto-Jedi order appears to have had proto-lightsabers much earlier than that, but still, those weren't much better than heavy duty back pack battery powered devices that were more for dueling than actual combat.

Edited by XantosCledwin

Nothing is cannon regardless of what they say. The only reliable cannonized materials published are the movies. This is specifically to eliminate predictability when they make new SW movies. That's why there is all this controversy about what's cannon and what isn't because they don't want anyone to guess what episode 7 is about.

No point in making a movie where everyone knows what is gonna happen from beginning to end. They will continue to play this game of cannon vs legnd until they stop making SW movies.

Edited by Yezzan

Nothing is cannon regardless of what they say. The only reliable cannonized materials published are the movies. This is specifically to eliminate predictability when they make new SW movies. That's why there is all this controversy about what's cannon and what isn't because they don't want anyone to guess what episode 7 is about.

No point in making a movie where everyone knows what is gonna happen from beginning to end. They will continue to play this game of cannon vs legnd until they stop making SW movies.

The current movies, as well as The Clone Wars, and Rebels animated TV Series' are all considered Hard Canon by Disney. No questions asked.

Seriously, Naga Sadow lived in circa 4,400 BBY; in his day and age they were using long shards of Crystals (or in some cases metals) as their version of Lightsabers. You can't go from that exceedingly primitive form of pre-metal technology to a laser sword in less than 800 years

Uhh.... Well...Humans went from the essentially iron age technology of the middle ages to nuclear weapons, computers, air and space travel and genetic engineering in about 800 years

Thats like saying we couldn't go from swords and chainmail of the medieval period to the space shuttle and assault rifles in the same time frame

Seriously, Naga Sadow lived in circa 4,400 BBY; in his day and age they were using long shards of Crystals (or in some cases metals) as their version of Lightsabers. You can't go from that exceedingly primitive form of pre-metal technology to a laser sword in less than 800 years. I mean look at it here on earth, Flint Bladed Knives have been found dating back as far as 1.4 million years on this planet, and we STILL haven't progressed to Laser Swords. So how did they?

Yeah this is an example of Anachronism at it's absolute finest.

Granted the early proto-Jedi order appears to have had proto-lightsabers much earlier than that, but still, those weren't much better than heavy duty back pack battery powered devices that were more for dueling than actual combat.

First of all, Sith swords are not equivalent to flint blade knives; their blades are not found or chipped off pieces, but purposefully constructed and imbued with certain properties using Sith alchemy and thus highly advanced pieces of technology themselves (in a world where magic is real, it must be a kind of science, right?).

Secondly, Naga Sadow may have used an alchemical sword, but not because he didn't know about lightsabers. The Jen'jidai who came to Korriban two thousand years prior to Sadow's reign brough Proto-Sabers with belt mounted power sources with them and one of them, Karness Muur, even switched to using a (possibly the first?) modern lightsaber that was essentially the same as the ones we see in the old republic games or the movies, even though external power sources remained the standard for a long time after Muur.

If reading Tarkin has told me anything is that a lot of the EU (at least the Pre-RoTJ stuff) is going to survive, they are just going to cherry pick the good stuff and leave things out that are gonig to be contradicted by the new moves. Darth Plaguesis is no longer considered canon yet Tarkin had PLENTY of references to characters and things that happened in that Book. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if parts of SWTOR (and "Tales of the Old Republic" before it) become canon as people drop references to it as time goes on. Edited by Felspawn

If reading Tarkin has told me anything is that a lot of the EU (at least the Pre-RoTJ stuff) is going to survive, they are just going to cherry pick the good stuff and leave things out that are gonig to be contradicted by the new moves. Darth Plaguesis is no longer considered canon yet Tarkin had PLENTY of references to characters and things that happened in that Book. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if parts of SWTOR (and "Tales of the Old Republic" before it) become canon as people drop references to it as time goes on.

agreed. the big stuff that's gonna be impacted is the post endor events. and IMHO that was the right move. try explaining to the lay audiances that chewbacca died off screen in a "book by that drizzt guy" when episode 7 hits

If reading Tarkin has told me anything is that a lot of the EU (at least the Pre-RoTJ stuff) is going to survive, they are just going to cherry pick the good stuff and leave things out that are gonig to be contradicted by the new moves. Darth Plaguesis is no longer considered canon yet Tarkin had PLENTY of references to characters and things that happened in that Book. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if parts of SWTOR (and "Tales of the Old Republic" before it) become canon as people drop references to it as time goes on.

While you may be right, personally I am not so sure how much we can glean about the future Canon novels from Tarkin. I can't help but wonder how much was due to the timing of the novel's release.

Luceno delivered the manuscript for Tarkin about 10 days after the announcement came out about the new Canon/Legends policy. Even if he had been made aware of the intended policy change well in advance of the announcement, a sizable chunk of the novel, if not entire drafts, could very well have been written before the policy decision was made.

If Luceno was writing, at least at first, without clear guidance about whether or not he needed to adhere to the old EU's continuity, I would expect he'd play it safe and keep it consistent with the EU (this is the guy who wrote Darth Plagueis afterall, and that entire novel was about 80% shout-outs and references to other EU material).

Edited by DarthDymond

So I got the Imperial Handbook for christmas, which,per Disney's new Canon policy is canon... it specificly mentioned the Rakata Star Forge, the Malachor V mass shadow generator, and the Shock Drum from the JK class story, as being examples of "pre-republic super weapons"

Looks like the KOTOR series has entered the realm of SW canon

Wait! Wait, wait, wait. Pre-Republic? As in... before the Republic ? So... this is basically... what, not evolving into that Republic? Saying Pre-Republic implies that this Republic isn't the same as the later Republic. (Not the New one, that's different). Does that mean that we're still not sure what happens next?

Wait! Wait, wait, wait. Pre-Republic? As in... before the Republic ? So... this is basically... what, not evolving into that Republic? Saying Pre-Republic implies that this Republic isn't the same as the later Republic. (Not the New one, that's different). Does that mean that we're still not sure what happens next?

It is probably a reference to the time period preceding the Republic, as it stands then. Also:

In September, becker&mayer! Books, the Imperial Handbook's publisher, confirmed that the Handbook is "Legends" as well (and also implied that they, becker&mayer!, are considering Legends a separate continuity 'universe', but that's another story).

It was probably already commissioned before the change-over happened and got 'grandfathered in' to being released after the point when everything was supposed to be Canon.

Source - from b&m's official FB page

Edited by Darth_Wicked

How come Darth Plaguesis is not cannon he is referred in one of the movies or the movies are not cannon either. Because if the movies are not cannon then they are not doing Star Wars movie.

He's canon as existing, but him being a Muun or dying after Maul has not been confirmed as canon.

The current movies, as well as The Clone Wars, and Rebels animated TV Series' are all considered Hard Canon by Disney. No questions asked.

Some of the games are also considered canon. One of them is Star Wars: Republic Commando. Now before anybody slips a gear, I said the GAME, not the books.

And infact Delta Squad makes a Cameo in The Clone Wars. There is an episode IIRC 2nd or 3rd season where Jedi Master Luminara Unduli is talking to 4 Republic troopers about a report. If you look closely, she's actually talking to Boss and behind him are Sev, Scorch and Fixer.

So infact Republic Commandos are actually in the Clone wars and the entire GAME(NOT BOOKS) is considered hard canon.

Some of the games are also considered canon. One of them is Star Wars: Republic Commando. Now before anybody slips a gear, I said the GAME, not the books.

And infact Delta Squad makes a Cameo in The Clone Wars. There is an episode IIRC 2nd or 3rd season where Jedi Master Luminara Unduli is talking to 4 Republic troopers about a report. If you look closely, she's actually talking to Boss and behind him are Sev, Scorch and Fixer.

So infact Republic Commandos are actually in the Clone wars and the entire GAME(NOT BOOKS) is considered hard canon.

doesn't quite work that way Talon. just because someone from the EU appers in a canon source does not mean the entire source is canon. Case in point, Ayala secura was made canon, but that does not mean every comic book she ever aoppered in is hard canon

doesn't quite work that way Talon. just because someone from the EU appers in a canon source does not mean the entire source is canon. Case in point, Ayala secura was made canon, but that does not mean every comic book she ever aoppered in is hard canon

Well considering George Lucas had a hand in Republic Commando the game, I'd be willing to bet it's canon and again, Delta Squad did pop up in the Clone Wars TV show so Delta Squad at a bare minimum is Canon.