The stupid quirks of players in PvP.

Hyde_v

This is a bit of a rant aimed no specific individual.

Over this game's time, I've noted some very peculiar tendancies. For the life of me, I can neither understand them nor fathom an answer as to why these trends continue when they are clearly bad and very unsuccessful.

For example, player's obsession with continually trying to take the southern bunker in the Denova Coast Warzone and the middle turrent in the Civil War Warzone. Especially when it is overwhelmingly clear that said players cannot capture or hold these nodes. Ten minutes in to a warzone and your team has yet to capture a node should be a sign to you to move to another one. Yet again and again and again and again, players run right back to the same untakeable nodes with the mentality of a cow: one cow moves to the right, all cows move to the right. "There's only one defender at this node," someone says. Yet no one goes to that node. They keep trying to take the middle / southern one. And many of those same players do not even once click on the node itself attempting to capture it.

I also cannot comprehend why someone feels that their high DPS score makes them the best when they lose the warzone itself. Oh, sure, there is the individual accomplishment. "I did one million damage," they claim. Yeah, but you did not win and thus gained far less of a reward then you would have had you won. A basketball player who always scores seventy points in every game he plays but who's team never wins a game is still a loser (he'll probably be bought off to play on a new team, basketball being what it is.)

And lastly, I do not quite see the ...shall we say...value in awarding an MVP vote to the top DPSer while the person with over two hundred thousand in total healing gets no MVP votes. Never have I read in team chat that the top DPS on the other team has been marked so he can be killed first. But I've seen games where someone who did the most DPS will get three or even four MVP votes while a dedicated healer gets nothing. You'd think that a healer has a tougher time of things and should be recognized for their ability to keep everyone alive a little longer and avoid being constantly ganked or even healing while being ganked. But, alas, no. No love for who dare to heal. Meanwhile, the other team had three dedicated healers and they captured the Huttball six times in under five minutes. I'll bet those healers got a vote...or perhaps not.

Humans. I cannot figure them out. Filled with such potential but as worthless as a lit match in a can of gasoline.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

But I've seen games where someone who did the most DPS will get three or even four MVP votes while a dedicated healer gets nothing.

</snip>

Thank you- I tend to get quite a few MVP votes as a dedicated healer.

If we're doing the pet peeve thing, mine would be: everyone else abandoning a captured Hypergate pylon and leaving a dedicated healer to guard- then blaming said dedicated healer when the pylon gets captured, even after said healer was screaming his fool head off for help.... Not that I'm bitter or anything (we still won), but it gets a little lonely being a healer without support...

So for the love of the Force: give your healer some love...

Edited by Sludgebuster
My Stupid typos.

Humans. I cannot figure them out. Filled with such potential but as worthless as a lit match in a can of gasoline.

Some quirky human will probably come by here and explain to you that a lit match in a can of gasoline is the perfect tool to solve some problems. :p

But yeah... we are a funny species. :)

That said..... dogs also do some really quirky things sometimes (as any dog owner can attest). So it may be a planet wide cross species problem..... which you just don't see since dogs, cats, and gerbils don't much PvP in MMOs so you are being denied needed and valuable data points for comparative reference. :p

Hopefully, I managed to get you to smile past your frustrations. :D

Edited by Andryah

I've noticed the most outspoken angry people in PVP teams are the ones that are semi-idle while ranting and blaming their team for a loss or a setback. I will never fully understand this behavior.

"wow really u guyz r baddz" says the guy with two medals guarding the safest node. What satisfaction does he get? Does he think any of us are convinced by deductive fallacy that he's a "pro" pvper for putting down the rest of the team? Gets my goat.

One other stupid quirk: Why do people in Alderaan demand the pedestrian tactic of "two take left, rest go mid" every single time? Even a single disrupting guy with a speed boost can make a difference going "right". If a few guys with Predation do it, it can make for a relatively easy win because sides are harder to capture once taken. Yet, every time "lol nub u scrub l2p" is the response when the tactic is suggested. Fortunately sometimes people give it a try, and it works. "ur still a nub" and all that from the same heckler. Who was probably idle with two medals guarding left.

So for the love of the Force: give your healer some love...

On my server healers get most of the MVPs, and I as a tank, regardless how much protection I had given or how often I carried the ball into the endzone or what ever I did rarely get an MVP when there are healers in my team. I can even run through the whole voidstar and place every single bomb and nobody is thanking me for that with a single MVP, because I am the tank and only healers and DPS get the MVPs.

So, think about your tanks, they also help winning the matches.

On my server healers get most of the MVPs, and I as a tank, regardless how much protection I had given or how often I carried the ball into the endzone or what ever I did rarely get an MVP when there are healers in my team. I can even run through the whole voidstar and place every single bomb and nobody is thanking me for that with a single MVP, because I am the tank and only healers and DPS get the MVPs.

As a PVP tank, I thank you for the consideration. I don't just shield you for the medals (but it helps!)

I have nothing against awarding an MVP vote to someone who nabs every door. I take notice of players who concentrate on the doors rather then running outside of them tabbing their next target. "Spread a little blaster fire around here, dear. But pay no attention to that silly door." And it's not because they are trying to take the attention of the other team off the player trying to plant the bomb either.

Score a touchdown ( is that what it is called?) five times in Huttball? I'll vote for you. Heal six figures in a Warzone? I'll vote for you. I'll flip a coin to decide if two people do all that.

Sometimes, just sometimes, the people ripping their teammates apart for poor performance are correct and their team does stink. Let's face it, if you haven't captured the middle turrent and the only way to win is with a three cap because you've wasted all your time running to the middle, you're bad and deserve every insult hurled at you. That's like refusing to cross the fifty yard line in football. What? You don't want to score? You don't want to win? Clearly, you did NOT want to win because you did not do what is required of you to win. You wasted your time. You wasted my time. You wasted everyone's time. Go jump in to a sinkhole with an anvil tied to your foot, loser.

But most of the time, haters spewing "u suck" (and do note that they cannot spell the word "you",) are just immature. Those folks deserve ignore.

I'm pretty sure many of my characters are on the ignore lists.

I have nothing against awarding an MVP vote to someone who nabs every door. I take notice of players who concentrate on the doors rather then running outside of them tabbing their next target. "Spread a little blaster fire around here, dear. But pay no attention to that silly door." And it's not because they are trying to take the attention of the other team off the player trying to plant the bomb either.

Score a touchdown ( is that what it is called?) five times in Huttball? I'll vote for you. Heal six figures in a Warzone? I'll vote for you. I'll flip a coin to decide if two people do all that.

Sometimes, just sometimes, the people ripping their teammates apart for poor performance are correct and their team does stink. Let's face it, if you haven't captured the middle turrent and the only way to win is with a three cap because you've wasted all your time running to the middle, you're bad and deserve every insult hurled at you. That's like refusing to cross the fifty yard line in football. What? You don't want to score? You don't want to win? Clearly, you did NOT want to win because you did not do what is required of you to win. You wasted your time. You wasted my time. You wasted everyone's time. Go jump in to a sinkhole with an anvil tied to your foot, loser.

But most of the time, haters spewing "u suck" (and do note that they cannot spell the word "you",) are just immature. Those folks deserve ignore.

I'm pretty sure many of my characters are on the ignore lists.

In my experience, these people don't even need a specific violator of PVP expections to hurl the "ur badz" around. They inflate themselves indirectly by insulting their teams for not carrying them (and yes, usually they're poor scorers themselves with minimal objective points). Some start the "ur badz" a mere minute into a match at the first setback.

My ignore list is fairly big, but sometimes calling these self-proclaimed "pros" out does wonders to shut them up.

This is a bit of a rant aimed no specific individual.

Over this game's time, I've noted some very peculiar tendancies. For the life of me, I can neither understand them nor fathom an answer as to why these trends continue when they are clearly bad and very unsuccessful.

For example, player's obsession with continually trying to take the southern bunker in the Denova Coast Warzone and the middle turrent in the Civil War Warzone. Especially when it is overwhelmingly clear that said players cannot capture or hold these nodes. Ten minutes in to a warzone and your team has yet to capture a node should be a sign to you to move to another one. Yet again and again and again and again, players run right back to the same untakeable nodes with the mentality of a cow: one cow moves to the right, all cows move to the right. "There's only one defender at this node," someone says. Yet no one goes to that node. They keep trying to take the middle / southern one. And many of those same players do not even once click on the node itself attempting to capture it.

I also cannot comprehend why someone feels that their high DPS score makes them the best when they lose the warzone itself. Oh, sure, there is the individual accomplishment. "I did one million damage," they claim. Yeah, but you did not win and thus gained far less of a reward then you would have had you won. A basketball player who always scores seventy points in every game he plays but who's team never wins a game is still a loser (he'll probably be bought off to play on a new team, basketball being what it is.)

And lastly, I do not quite see the ...shall we say...value in awarding an MVP vote to the top DPSer while the person with over two hundred thousand in total healing gets no MVP votes. Never have I read in team chat that the top DPS on the other team has been marked so he can be killed first. But I've seen games where someone who did the most DPS will get three or even four MVP votes while a dedicated healer gets nothing. You'd think that a healer has a tougher time of things and should be recognized for their ability to keep everyone alive a little longer and avoid being constantly ganked or even healing while being ganked. But, alas, no. No love for who dare to heal. Meanwhile, the other team had three dedicated healers and they captured the Huttball six times in under five minutes. I'll bet those healers got a vote...or perhaps not.

Most of these things boggle me as well. We were in a match just the other day on Civil War, they capped snow, we capped grass, then fought to a stalemate at mid, with no one able to cap it. Eventually I got a hunch and ran snow, and found out they had sent their 8th guy from snow into mid, outnumbering us, so it was an easy steal to get snow.

Now, the problem.

Now we've got snow, grass, and mid is contested and uncapped. I start shouting into the chat to get out of mid and get to the sides so we can defend, but here go people still charging into mid.

Eventually, we lost snow, and as we lost snow, we capped mid. But now we're left, obviously, with grass and mid, with mid much less defensible than snow, since the speeder can often dump you off in a perfect spot to interrupt an enemy cap. Not at all the case with mid...

Some people obviously aren't interested in the goals and objectives, and just want to pew pew pew. I guess it's the interaction between the actual PVPers and the PEWPEWers that causes all of these issues...

There was a whole guild that always accused me of hacking every single wz I was in with them and they always name called and reported me and everything. Funny part was that they claimed to be an elite, exclusive and non trash talking guild.

That was kind of stupid, however amusing to me.

I take notice of players who concentrate on the doors rather then running outside of them tabbing their next target. "Spread a little blaster fire around here, dear. But pay no attention to that silly door." And it's not because they are trying to take the attention of the other team off the player trying to plant the bomb either.

That reminds me of what I hate most in Voidstar. I sneak to a door and start placing a bomb there, and some dimwit in my team runs into me irection drawing the attention of opposing team players toward the door and thus me.

In my experience, these people don't even need a specific violator of PVP expections to hurl the "ur badz" around. They inflate themselves indirectly by insulting their teams for not carrying them (and yes, usually they're poor scorers themselves with minimal objective points). Some start the "ur badz" a mere minute into a match at the first setback.

My ignore list is fairly big, but sometimes calling these self-proclaimed "pros" out does wonders to shut them up.

Yeah, in my opinion the people who waste their time insulting other players are the ones which are bad, because they should concentrate on playing not on assiging blame.

What's with the aggressively dumb people that beeline right into a crowd of guys over and over again? This is so common that it warrants its own thread, and maybe even a (in jest) anthropological analysis.

"Here we have the sentinel, who because he has two glowbats, fancies himself uber pwnz0rz. He will rush at the same group of defenders, only to be chopped to pieces again and again, never correcting the error that leads to his own demise."

What's with the aggressively dumb people that beeline right into a crowd of guys over and over again? This is so common that it warrants its own thread, and maybe even a (in jest) anthropological analysis.

"Here we have the sentinel, who because he has two glowbats, fancies himself uber pwnz0rz. He will rush at the same group of defenders, only to be chopped to pieces again and again, never correcting the error that leads to his own demise."

Love this post.... awesome...

i fully agree with the OP, iam a healer and iam 1st target on the enemy list while i try to heal my team others just dont know how they live and fight with out dying but when it comes to the Vote they get most of the Votes while I who kept the team a life get nothing.

and i just hate when a dumb player leave the Pylon/turret for me to guard it then my team start whining about dying a lot cause they are Dumb enough to leave a healer to guard.

"Observe as he lashes out at the healer who is a "baddie" because he can't keep him alive when he goes up against 3 people who outgear him, while at the same time the healer himself is being focused by 1-2 dps that no one cares to peel off of him.

Let's move closer now.

The healer, after LoSing the dps who are focusing him, continues his valiant efforts to heal said sentinel. He bubbles him and he starts healing him. This is the moment that our genius sentinel will choose to make his strategic move of...f***g leaping to a random enemy who's far away from the node and the healer's reach.

Meanwhile, the healer is stunned/rooted/roflstomped while the enemy team who doesn't have players with an average IQ of -10, tries to cap the middle. Capping is interrupted.

Our healer pulls the rampaging Sentinel back hoping that he will realize he needs to help guard the node, alas, our Sentinel sees this as an excellent chance to... leap again to his previous target somewhere far, far away and the fight continues because the enemy player is now certain that said Sentinel is a moron."

I know there are good Sentinels/Maras/Juggernauts/Guardians. Some of them are really, really great players and they actually use their abilities to help out the team.

But I swear, sometimes I think that if your IQ is less than 0, these classes are the ones you're most likely to pick.

Edited by TheNahash

A LOT of people simply don't get the basic tactics for the warzones:

If you take left and right in Alderaan, you get extra speeders on your dropship going right to those nodes. These speeders are THREE times faster than the 2 "normal" speeders in the middle, and land you perfectly at the nodes. A team using these speeders excessively will *always* win: players get more fight time between dying, they constantly reinforce the sidenodes, even if they then move to another node, and with an optimal team, they even constantly keep eachothers' class buffs up.

On Novara Coast, the northern 2 cannons are easier to defend together than 1 northern + south. The walk from east to west is slightly shorter, it's a simple fact. Just always walk through the node on the side of your base, so you can help there in case of trouble, and from there move to the other side. So you'll be functional even during the walk from your base to the far node.

If you're attacking an enemy node that has more than 4 defenders, then the other node obviously has less defenders. Sometimes you need a change of plan to succeed. You can win with any combination of nodes (or pylons, for that matter). Don't get caught in the "their node - our node" thing. If they cap "your" node, you can spend half a game getting it back, or simply grab "theirs" instead.

Pylons and nodes always require 2 defenders. You can place only 1 defender, but then you're gambling that whoever attacks that node is A) Alone; B) Not as skilled as the defender; C) Attacks when you're not caught in a fight elsewhere.

And then there are a dozen more minor tricks to make things easier, but the ones I wrote above are really the basics, which many people don't seem aware of, or simply underestimate. And yes, some of these are subject to change during a warzone, but these are still the basics from which you evolve during each game.

Novare Coast. Our team captured the middle and east turrets. There are 4 people at the south including me. Then the enemy captures the middle one. Well, the other 3 go to the middle, and 20 seconds later I'm killed by an Op and an Assassin.

Ops leader: "U nuubish sun of a bitsh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!":confused:

Sometime later, they leave me alone again, I say I have guarded that turret long enough, and some other people who've gained 6 medals killing enemies should come guard it, so I can add some medals to my collection of 2.:(

Ops leader: " Itss yuor oun foolt!!!!":confused::confused::confused:

I stayed so I could claim the rewards I deserved, but maybe also because I just couldn't stop laughing about his faults in spelling.:D

A LOT of people simply don't get the basic tactics for the warzones:

If you take left and right in Alderaan, you get extra speeders on your dropship going right to those nodes. These speeders are THREE times faster than the 2 "normal" speeders in the middle, and land you perfectly at the nodes. A team using these speeders excessively will *always* win: players get more fight time between dying, they constantly reinforce the sidenodes, even if they then move to another node, and with an optimal team, they even constantly keep eachothers' class buffs up.

On Novara Coast, the northern 2 cannons are easier to defend together than 1 northern + south. The walk from east to west is slightly shorter, it's a simple fact. Just always walk through the node on the side of your base, so you can help there in case of trouble, and from there move to the other side. So you'll be functional even during the walk from your base to the far node.

If you're attacking an enemy node that has more than 4 defenders, then the other node obviously has less defenders. Sometimes you need a change of plan to succeed. You can win with any combination of nodes (or pylons, for that matter). Don't get caught in the "their node - our node" thing. If they cap "your" node, you can spend half a game getting it back, or simply grab "theirs" instead.

Pylons and nodes always require 2 defenders. You can place only 1 defender, but then you're gambling that whoever attacks that node is A) Alone; B) Not as skilled as the defender; C) Attacks when you're not caught in a fight elsewhere.

And then there are a dozen more minor tricks to make things easier, but the ones I wrote above are really the basics, which many people don't seem aware of, or simply underestimate. And yes, some of these are subject to change during a warzone, but these are still the basics from which you evolve during each game.

Excellent. Murphy's law says you are not on my server. /sigh

Oh, I know! and when I get a tank that throws a guard on me, I make sure to send them candy, flowers, heals, and MVP votes. Nothing warms a healer's bottom quite like a nice meatshield....

(hmmm- that didn't sound creepy at all. Did it??)

Denova - Why take mid? It's the shortest run from spawn to mid. It is the easier node to guard if you have it which makes it far more valuable than the far node which is usually easy to take but almost impossible to hold assuming team strengths are in the same ballpark: the enemy respawns fast and will whittle defenders of the far node down more quickly than defenders can run to it. You should try to attack the node to distract defenders from mid but usually Denova victories go to the ones that take and hold mid the longest. Any time I see a team take and hold the far node and win that way, I see a team that could have won more easily in mid.

The ones I don't like are :

The 1 or 2 that break off while the rest of the team is barely holding 2 nodes to try to get the third node - meaning defenders are very outnumbered and very vulnerable to a zerg somewhere. Meanwhile even if the defenders hold they are going to die more if the attackers are active and team strengths are close.

Stealthers that go into "tactical" mode. These are the ones that float from node to node and watch, wait for more and assess before committing themselves. Meanwhile the rest of the active team is down a man and more often than not these floaters accomplish very little.

People that say "so we have no heals?" at the beginning of a game. There is no positive way to respond to that statement or condition and I usually suppose that the asker is looking for an excuse to spend half the match afk.

Edited by WaywardOne

I've noticed the most outspoken angry people in PVP teams are the ones that are semi-idle while ranting and blaming their team for a loss or a setback. I will never fully understand this behavior.

"wow really u guyz r baddz" says the guy with two medals guarding the safest node. What satisfaction does he get? Does he think any of us are convinced by deductive fallacy that he's a "pro" pvper for putting down the rest of the team? Gets my goat.

One other stupid quirk: Why do people in Alderaan demand the pedestrian tactic of "two take left, rest go mid" every single time? Even a single disrupting guy with a speed boost can make a difference going "right". If a few guys with Predation do it, it can make for a relatively easy win because sides are harder to capture once taken. Yet, every time "lol nub u scrub l2p" is the response when the tactic is suggested. Fortunately sometimes people give it a try, and it works. "ur still a nub" and all that from the same heckler. Who was probably idle with two medals guarding left.

This is why I despise PvP. It CAN be fun but is all too often ruined by spoiled brats like those descibed in the quote. I've experienced PvP in a few MMO's including SWTOR and these people, on your own team, are a common thread in every MMO. They manage to take the fun out of it and have drawn me to the conclusion that PvP is the bane of every game that has it.