Regarding slicing...

unclekaula

Everyones been saying to do lockbox missions and you'll make bank... but at what level?

I'm doing the lockbox missions between 17-24 and after 9 missions, I'm up 1200 bucks. What am I doing wrong here? I just failed one while typing this up so now I'm out 530, down below 700 in return for 10 missions....

My guildy is a slicer and this is how he explained it to me. The slicing missions add some creds and bring in some crafting missions for the guild, but every minute or so while questing he would come across a lockbox and slice it for roughly 1000 creds.

He mentioned that it took him 175 levels of slicing to "break even" then pretty much got his 48k creds for the level 25 mount in an hour or two of running around questing/slicing and sending his companions out constantly on slicing missions.

If you chose to sell those missions for other professions you could put eve more creds in your pocket.

The missions don't really have a high return. I'm sitting @ about 360 slicing and the missions take 30 minutes and I *Might* get a return of 1000 credits, 3000 if im lucky. The real money comes when you are on planets like Taris and there is a lockbox every 2 inches of the map. Also selling high level missions brings in some nice dough.

Thanks for the responses guys, now I know the monies in the lockboxes I get when adventuring. I was actually chatting it up and watching a movie, sending my two crew members out on lockbox missions for a few hours. The skills gone up 30ish and I' down 7k, so theres definitely no money in just the missions at the lower end of slicing.

Stop doing slicing missions that only reward you moderate. Aim for rich/bountiful wherever possible and only do 'abundant' when it's the only option to get a skill up. You'll get much more out of slicing that way.

yep, go for the high end missions, the moderate have no gain.

early on the gain isn't much, but once you hit the mid-level high end missions the result is pretty good. i played for a few hours last night and sent one companion on slicing missions the whole time and had the other with me in game. between the high end slicing lock boxes, selling the junk, and completing missions on nar shaddaa, i made over 50k. my character is level 23, but my slicing is around 330.

I don't know how much slicing has changed since beta, but it was never nearly as profitable to run slicing missions as it was to just farm the nodes in the world. Remember slicing is a mission AND gathering profession. Those boxes you get from hitting the nodes have no cost associated to them, it's free cash/loot.

Please explain, I don't understand what this means.

Before I gave my second companion a weapon, he failed a lot of missions. By giving him a weapon / upgrades, he succeeded where he failed prior. Each companion has inherent traits too (Mako has +5 slicing, I think) so by sending her on the mission instead of my other companion, I usually succeed more often as well.

Just make sure you're not blindly sending companions off into the void if you want to make as much money as possible :)

Before I gave my second companion a weapon, he failed a lot of missions. By giving him a weapon / upgrades, he succeeded where he failed prior. Each companion has inherent traits too (Mako has +5 slicing, I think) so by sending her on the mission instead of my other companion, I usually succeed more often as well.

Just make sure you're not blindly sending companions off into the void if you want to make as much money as possible :)

Unless that is unique to slicing I think you just hit a run of bad luck. I have several companions that have no gear whatsoever on them and they don't fail missions.