Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Brayla_Sana
06.23.2017 , 03:33 AM | #1101
Take a serious look at how STO runs their servers. They have the look and feel of one megaserver, but it is actually divided into "zones" that automatically pop up depending on population. Also, the account name and the character name are not the same - so that would solve the naming issues.

Also, look into IBM's "gameframe" product and see if that could be more cost effective than having all these servers.

casirabit
06.23.2017 , 07:38 AM | #1102
Quote: Originally Posted by Brayla_Sana View Post
Take a serious look at how STO runs their servers. They have the look and feel of one megaserver, but it is actually divided into "zones" that automatically pop up depending on population. Also, the account name and the character name are not the same - so that would solve the naming issues.

Also, look into IBM's "gameframe" product and see if that could be more cost effective than having all these servers.
I played STO and that was one feature I hated. I played with a friend and everytime we had to figure out if we were in the same zone. It was a headache for me and that is not something I would like here. It would give guilds and friends headaches to have to find out the zone each of them are in and try to get into the same zone.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj https://poshmark.com/closet/tmcevoy1121

Lium
06.23.2017 , 11:08 AM | #1103
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenva View Post
I absolutely agree. In fact, I do not want to go through a server merge from what I have heard. Whoever is moved would be like starting all over. Who wants to go through that... lose your characters' names, your stronghold decorating reset as though never done, your outfit designer emptied of your carefully and expensively designed outfits, and everything else that could go wrong. What about credits, command tokens, etc. If all my stronghold decorating and outfits and names were gone, I'd probably get disgusted and just quit. Personally I do not want to be on a crowded server anyway, especially with the lag my internet has. All the populations increase for special events so add more special events if that is what you want., and more story content. Waiting for more story and the new stronghold. Not server mergers. Yuk!
They've done server merges before. In fact, I think they did it twice.

Some of you are acting like this is a new thing that has never been done before in SWTOR. Weren't these issues addressed during the last merge?

DWho
06.23.2017 , 11:17 AM | #1104
Quote: Originally Posted by Lium View Post

Some of you are acting like this is a new thing that has never been done before in SWTOR. Weren't these issues addressed during the last merge?
The issues were not addressed prior to the merges and that is why there is such a negative feeling towards them. There were quite a few people (not all but also not the tiny minority some believe it was either) that were negatively impacted. Guilds had to be completely broken down and reformed on the new server. At the time guildships and guild strongholds did not exist and guild banks had to be completely emptied as well before the merge. Anything left in them was lost. Guilds were dependent on customer service refunding all the costs of unlocking guild bank tabs (a tiny fraction of the cost of unlocking flagships or strongholds now). For some it happened quickly, for others it took a long time or never happened at all. The difficulties of transferring guild assets have increased exponentially since then. Also throw in costume designer (which also did not exist but you lose in a character transfer so its reasonable to assume you would lose it in a merger) and personal strongholds (which unlock fine if you did so with CCs but if you unlocked them with credits you have to pay all over again if you transfer the last character of your legacy to a new server).

All in all, mergers are a lot more complex now that they were the last time.

Ratajack
06.23.2017 , 11:50 AM | #1105
Quote: Originally Posted by Lium View Post

No, these issues were not addressed in the previous two server merges.

In fact, many of the issues existing today did not even exist during the previous two merges.

Judging by the way the two previous merges were handled, with guilds being blown up, having to be reformed on the new servers, guild bank tabs being lost and having to deal with customer support to have those guild bank tabs restored (a process which took many guilds months, and some guilds were NEVER restored) and the loss of any items in those guild banks, there is no reason to believe another round of mergers would be handled any differently, or that the current existing issues would be addressed.

fushnchips
06.23.2017 , 11:52 AM | #1106
Merges of some sort will come and I have faith that Bioware will have all of the guilds, and strongholds + ships intact I think most people in this thread should listen to the Bad Feelings podcast we learnt some great info like they will never do X server so if you haven't had the chance to listen I suggest do it now. Bad Feeling Podcast #162 interviews Keith Kannig
Pineapple on Pizza for life

Free stuff for you and me click here : Refer a Friend

Andryah
06.23.2017 , 12:17 PM | #1107
Quote: Originally Posted by fushnchips View Post
Merges of some sort will come and I have faith that Bioware will have all of the guilds, and strongholds + ships intact I think most people in this thread should listen to the Bad Feelings podcast we learnt some great info like they will never do X server so if you haven't had the chance to listen I suggest do it now. Bad Feeling Podcast #162 interviews Keith Kannig
People are already stretching and interpreting what was and was not said in that podcast. No surprise, but over the next couple of weeks.... the needless drama in the forum about the podcast will largely overshadow the podcast.

I agree with you though.. that it is worth the time to watch the podcast and pay attention to what is and is not said.

BUt....Keith made it clear in an earlier post in this thread this week ----> they are not ready to discuss with players yet on this.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

Ratajack
06.23.2017 , 01:32 PM | #1108
I listened to that podcast that you linked, although it may have led me to a different podcast than many of the advocates of server merges heard.

I heard nothing to indicate that server merges were imminent, or even definite. As is often the case, people tend to hear, or read, what they want to hear, or read.

Keith spoke about server populations and all the concerns that both sides have expressed. However, he spoke about those concerns in terms of the technical problems. My impression was that he was very careful to speak in terms of "IF" BW were to do something, they would like to do it in such a way that guilds and guild assets were able to transfer and personal assets such as legacy storage were also taken into account.

He also spoke about leaving the choice of server up to the individual player. If a player was happy where they were, let them stay there. If possible, though, make it more appealing, easier and less "costly" (in terms of guilds, guild and personal assets) to transfer. He did not say anything about lowering the cost of transfers, though.

Overall, though, I was pleased that Keith addressed many of the concerns held by both sides, and that BW seems to want to ensure that those concerns are addressed. I would be especially pleased if the solution that addresses those concerns leaves players the opportunity to remain on their current server or to keep their guild and personal assets if they choose to transfer.

HuaRya
06.23.2017 , 04:20 PM | #1109
That discussion started around 25 minutes into it and I was glad Keith clarified some nebulous facts:

1. Cross Server cannot happen with the way the databases in the game are laid out
2. They now have High End Super servers that could easily consolidate existing servers
3. Keith plays on Harbinger & Red Eclipse prefers where the most people are?
4. Would never force anyone to move and would only suggest it if moving guildships/guilds is seamless
I grok in fullness.
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

Ratajack
06.23.2017 , 04:47 PM | #1110
Quote: Originally Posted by HuaRya View Post
That discussion started around 25 minutes into it and I was glad Keith clarified some nebulous facts:

1. Cross Server cannot happen with the way the databases in the game are laid out
While unfortunate, it is clarification that this is not an option.

2. They now have High End Super servers that could easily consolidate existing servers
He did not, however, say that they WOULD be consolidating any, or all, existing servers.

3. Keith plays on Harbinger & Red Eclipse prefers where the most people are?
Some people do prefer to play on higher populated servers. Not everyone does, though.

4. Would never force anyone to move and would only suggest it if moving guildships/guilds is seamless
This is, IMO, the most important point--never forcing anyone to move. That would seem to rule out server merges, IMO.

He did talk about possibly making it more appealing to move, but ONLY IF guilds (as well as guild and personal assets) could be transferred intact. Those personal assets include legacy storage vaults and the potential for multiple legacy storage vaults across multiple servers to have to be taken into consideration.