Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Antonine
01.17.2019 , 10:05 AM | #6201
Here's one for the wishes prompt

Soturi'el Sith (Dark Side) Pureblood Warrior

Spoiler

And just a few minor author notes.

Spoiler

frauzet
01.19.2019 , 06:56 AM | #6202
This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of January 18, 2019:

To Sleep: perchance to dream? Humans spend, on average, one third of their lives asleep. We have rooms, furniture, phrases and clothing all dedicated to this biological necessity. What does your character do to sleep? Do they have special rituals? Do they need a sleep mask and soothing music or can they fall asleep anywhere, anytime? Do they prefer near silence and darkness? White noise and a night light? Are they always uncomfortable in a strange place? Does having a familiar object–pillow, blanket, childhood teddy bear–make it better? Pets? What about snoring or tossing and turning? Do they have a bedmate (or housemate) to annoy, or who annoys them? Maybe their sleep schedule is at odds with the rest of the world for some reason. Maybe they don’t have a sleep schedule–their days are too erratic. Perhaps they don’t require sleep themselves but find it an interesting trait in their companions.

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

In Hell: The Perfect Punishment–Poetic justice, punishment for sins, karma, call it what you will, the concept is as old as humankind. How would fate visit retribution on your more ignoble characters? What would be appropriate? During life or in an afterlife? Feel free to take this prompt as literally or figuratively as you like.

The right way the wrong way and my way: It’s said there are three ways to approach a task. What does your character think? Do they follow the rules, willingly break them, or choose their own path? Maybe all three at different times in their story? What about teaching someone else? Are they as inflexible as the saying suggests or will they entertain new solutions?

Note: This will be the last prompt I've cross-posted for some time.
My sub will be running out today.
I still love this game, yet I seldom find the time to play atm.
I may be back after a few months of vacation

I'll be lurking and reading your stories *waves*
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

Kitar
01.25.2019 , 04:34 PM | #6203
Evening everyone! *waves*

I am going to attempt to post the prompts every Friday, now that Frauzet is taking a break. I hope she returns soon.
Unfortunately I do not have time for comments, just a fast posting.

Here is the prompt for this week.
Week of January 25, 2019:

Loyalty: True loyalty is a complex subject. Essentially, someone puts your character’s well-being equal to or exceeding their own. It doesn’t mean agreeing with everything your character says or does, but offering a different perspective when warranted. It contains elements of being a friend and a lover, without necessarily sharing the more intimate or personal components of those relationships. Though, one hopes that friends and lovers are also loyal. Perhaps this is why betrayal hurts so much; the one who had your character’s back had a knife all along. Other times we mistake a loyal character leaving for betrayal, when in fact they can no longer bear to watch someone they care about self destruct. Consider who’s loyal to your character this week, to whom your character owes loyalty, why, and what might happen to change those dynamics.

Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust. Submit it anyway and Short Fiction Weekly Challenge will publish it.

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

And Now, the Bad News: Something happened, and your character’s not pleased about it. Did they lose a promotion or sale to a rival? Is a local landmark shutting or being torn down? Is a plant or animal they’re particularly fond of in decline? Does an event confirm their pessimistic outlook, or crush their optimism? How did they find out? Are they shocked or resigned? No good news to soften the blow this time. Write about your character dealing with bad news.

Frustration: Sometimes events (aka the writer) conspire to thwart your character. It might be a series of minor things–the coffee machine broke, the bus was late (so they caught it but were late anyway), and to top it off all the good donuts were gone at the meeting…where the project no one else wanted ended up in their lap. Yay. Maybe it’s a repeated error: the food stall never gets their order right, the clerk always mispronounces your character’s name. This week write about someone or something getting on your character’s last nerve.

Got an idea for a prompt? Submit it here.

Kitar
02.01.2019 , 05:49 PM | #6204
This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of February 1, 2019:

You’re Not the One I Was Looking For: It’s fun to set your character up with the perfect match. The One They’ve Been Dreaming of. Hold that thought–what about someone else? Someone close, maybe overlooked. Someone who’s right for your character in all the ways that matter, but not necessarily the ones your character thinks are important. Maybe they catch your character on the rebound; maybe they’ve been there all along but never thought about your character in a romantic way. Maybe a casual hookup turns into something more. This week, consider your character finding, not the one they were looking for, but The One just the same.

Head of the Class - Our characters have been to academies, universities, boot camps, and the universal school of hard knocks: as students, as teachers, or maybe as maintenance, assistant, or thief. Write about your character’s education.

Flirting With Disaster: Even the most risk-averse character gets into sticky situations, or they should if you’re doing your job as a writer. Then there are others who live their entire lives on the edge. This week, write about a time when things were so, so close to going wrong. When the table shook beneath the house of cards but didn’t quite fall. Or maybe it did.
Got an idea for a prompt? Submit it here.

Kitar
02.09.2019 , 12:16 PM | #6205
Sorry I am late guys n gals, it's been a hectic week.

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of February 8, 2019:

Bus Stop: How did your character meet their Love Interest? Blind date? Friend-of-a-friend? Co-worker? Professional matchmaker? Your world’s equivalent of a dating app? Chance meeting at a bus stop? This week, tell the story of how they met.

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in thePrompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Plants/Gardening–It’s hard to avoid plant life, even on a spaceship. In low-tech societies plants are recognized as sources of food and medicine. In more high-tech ones they provide breathable air as well as beauty. Whether your character has a green thumb or can’t tell a cabbage from a kitten, write some plants into their story this week.

Curve Ball–as writers we plan our character’s encounters. This week, throw them into something new. Something they didn’t expect. Something they never saw coming. Who panics? Who takes it in stride? Who stumbles but runs with it?

I am in a massive hurry but I promise I will come back and edit in the link for prompt suggestions

Feldraeth
02.17.2019 , 05:00 AM | #6206
Hey again, another fly-by posting as I finally wrote something new (well, completed something, anyway).

Vale Frauzet, hope we'll see you again in the future (though i fully understand if we don't. Life moves on and all)

Prompt: Curveball
Title: Escape from Organa Part I
Perspective: Roan, the littlest Sith
Word Count 2,579
Spoilers: SW Alderaan storyline

Spoiler

Prompt: Family, Curveball, language
Title: Escape from Organa Part II
Perspective: Lucida, Sith Jedi
Word Count 2,217
Spoilers: JK Alderaan storyline, general information about the second Jedi Knight companion

Spoiler

Kitar
02.18.2019 , 08:21 AM | #6207
Hey everyone, sorry this is late.

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of February 15, 2019:

Kiss The Girl: or guy, or nonbinary person; whoever or whatever it is that your character is falling for (and, we hope, is falling for them as well) this is it. The Kiss. The Moment you’ve been waiting to write. So write it! Make it the end after a slow burn, or start with the Kiss and move forward.

The Droids You’re Looking For - One of the hallmarks of the Star Wars universe is the presence of droids: astromech, protocol, combat, and more. Write about the droids that support (or hinder) your characters.

Forgotten Places–A ghost town, an ancient ruin, a hidden valley, an island settlement, now abandoned. Places where people were, but no longer are. What does your character think about them? When has your character encountered one? Did they stumble on it? Seek it out? Read or hear a tale about it? Does it, like El Dorado, exist only in stories?

Kitar
03.03.2019 , 05:38 PM | #6208
So this is frustrating. I tried to post the prompts earlier today and I guess the Forums' ate the reply.

Second try!

I am sorry for the tardiness in updating the prompt. My life has been really hectic this past couple weeks and I really hope things will calm down in the week to come. On the upside it is a two for one!

Prompt for the
Week of February 22, 2019:

Storybook Love: After it all, the meeting, the spark, and the kiss, how does the story go? What happens after? Or during? How does your character’s love become part of the rest of their story? Maybe their love is the whole story, the prime mover of the plot, but what else happens around them? How does their relationship affect the other characters and the larger story of their lives? Write some of the book around their storybook love

Stomping Grounds - Our characters all have favorite places. Somewhere they grew up, somewhere they spent a lot of time, someplace that feels like home or might as well be. Someplace they’d rather be any day of the week. Somewhere they dream of when things go wrong. Tell us about your character’s favorite stomping ground.

Hero Worship: Who does your character think of when they hear the word “hero”? Is it a specific person? A type of person, or a person in a specific occupation? Have they ever met their hero(es)? Who sees your character as a hero–no matter how venal they really are? How do they show it, and how does your character deal with it?

And Prompt for
Week of March 1, 2019:

When I’m Sixty-Four: What happens when the infatuation wears off? When the rush of novelty and discovery fades? What do your characters still love about each other? Why do they choose to stay together? It is a choice, after all, and they could decide otherwise. Perhaps they do. That’s a story, too.

Paying the Piper - There might be a couple different meanings to this, but in the end nothing comes for free, and one’s choices have costs and consequences. Write about a time your character had to pony up the payment…or end up on the receiving end. (Prompt courtesy of Kitar.)

Serenity - Stories aren’t all about conflict. Characters have to find peace, too. What things calm your character down, make them happy, save their sanity? Do they have a literal happy place? Is it a song or noise or a kind of music? A food or drink? A favorite book or comfortable sweater? Even the hardest character has a softer side, and some are more in touch with it than others. This week, share the things that bring your character serenity.

Lord_Thorne
03.06.2019 , 01:51 AM | #6209
It's been way too long, but I'm back (with Zeran Kraktus)...
Inspired by the hook “Hero Worship: Who does your character think of when they hear the word “hero”? Is it a specific person? A type of person, or a person in a specific occupation? Have they ever met their hero(es)? Who sees your character as a hero–no matter how venal they really are? How do they show it, and how does your character deal with it?”

Note: you can see Zeran's other stories at
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...postcount=6100
and
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...postcount=6161
Spoiler
Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.
"The incomprehensibility of your statement in no way validates it." (HK-51)
"I'm a lump with a bad attitude! Honor! Misplaced loyalty! Grr!" (Z0-OM)

Kitar
03.10.2019 , 03:17 PM | #6210
Hey everyone. I know I am late, but, at least it is still the weekend!

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of March 8, 2019:

Forbidden Fruit: Something forbidden is often that much more desirable, a focus of obsession. What is something your character can’t have? Not something they’re not likely to get. Something they could have, or an activity they could engage in, but chose not to. What is it and why must they avoid it? What are the consequences if they indulge? Are they physical, social, or something else? Do they think about the forbidden thing constantly, desiring it even though they know they shouldn’t? Do they really not care about the thing? Have they tried it and discovered it wasn’t as good, as interesting, or as exciting as they thought it would be? Was it better than they ever imagined?

Words, Words, Words - It’s a big galaxy, and the big galaxy hosts a lot of languages. Some people are polyglots, switching among languages easily; some have enough trouble mastering one. Sometimes whole conversations go on in a foreign language, and sometimes only critical words that resist translation are used. Write about a time that certain words proved critical for your character.

Irritating Habits–Everyone has them. What about your character or one of their companions? Gum-chewing, whistling, smoking, a preference for odiferous delicacies? Who annoys who and how? Consider too that what’s rude, irritating, or just plain gross in one culture may be perfectly acceptable or even polite in another. The converse is true as well.