Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Seriously no way to adjust the cursor?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Seriously no way to adjust the cursor?

OlBuzzard
06.25.2019 , 10:59 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
The engine used for SWTOR predates even a hint of 4K. At that time, 1920x1080 was leading edge. It might not even be possible to increase the cursor size within the engine, and in any case it would probably be too time consuming (expensive) to do so.
hmmm... interesting. Really hadn't thought about it that way. I'm not saying you are right ... or wrong. BUT the simple fact is that this may be a valid point. Only someone who would be familiar with the programming of either (or both) could really answer that. Frankly that's over my pay grade !

Good point !
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

foxmob
06.25.2019 , 11:25 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Zicious View Post
Hi All,

I haven't played since 2014ish and just returned. Its been a whirlwind of adjusting to most of the changes and fixing the bugs/issues with UI.

I'm now playing on 4K and am stunned there is no way to adjust the cursor size, color, or anything?
You cannot, afaik, replace to cursor with a file or anything. but I have noticed (playing with a 1070 and then 2080 at 4k) that if you restart your system, the cursor goes from tiny to at least nomral/manageable. it's still difficult for me to find, but I use extra large cursors for regular desktop mode.

edit:
BTW: everything else -- and I mean EVERYTHING else -- scales brilliantly in 4k. This cursor problem is an issue in many games. Even playing Dragon Age in 2k was frustrating for me. But I'm fairly certain the cursor issue is a handshake problem with the OS because, as stated, I can guarantee a tiny cursor when I run SWTOR from cold boot, and a regular cursor on a reboot. Even if the cursor file only has a 2k max mode, there's clearly something going on with the handshake.
Krack

lightSaberAddiCt
06.25.2019 , 05:38 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by denavin View Post
Try to remember that SWToR uses DirectX 9c. It does not support 4K resolutions. The game does not support 4k either. It does not render correctly for anything over 1920 x 1080.
I don't have 4k, but I do have a 36" flat screen LCD TV that I play on at 1920x1024 I think it is, and I cannot see the cursor and get lost a lot with these old eyes. Now I know for a fact, this would not be a hard change to do in settings. I know a lot of people say "well this shouldn't be so hard" when they have no idea of what load it would put on servers with database queries, or the amount of code. But I used to be a coder, and changing cursor size would be adding a couple more larger icons and then add that to the preferences.

It doesn't bother me that much because I am a tab target person, and usually if you face what you want targeted and hit tab it targets that NPC quickly. During the star ship mini game (the solo one) that is when it irks me the most because I lose track of it on a large screen.
Just Click It for Free Stuff I need the CC
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hj4n32

JediQuaker
06.26.2019 , 11:03 AM | #14
Actually, there's a very simple solution to this. Play the game at 1920x1080. I know 4K may look real purdy when you stand still and look around, but during gameplay, it really shouldn't make much difference.
JediQuaker - The Ever Charming.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

foxmob
06.26.2019 , 12:00 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Actually, there's a very simple solution to this. Play the game at 1920x1080. I know 4K may look real purdy when you stand still and look around, but during gameplay, it really shouldn't make much difference.
4k keeps things spread out. there are no quick bars, overlays, maps, etc. overlapping my character model or line of sight. it's absolutely wonderful except for the mouse cursor not scaling with everything else.

there is one other thing I'd like to address, and that's nameplate and hb size. I watched a 1080 stream last night, and the nameplates and such were gigantic. a guildy said he must have altered the .ini file somewhere to do that. It would be awesome if we could alter the the nameplate health bar on friends/enemies the way we can in an ops frame (via interface editor).
Krack

Khaleg
06.26.2019 , 01:17 PM | #16
Yeah, annoying. I'm playing in 2560x1440 because of that.
The mouse pointer is just way too tiny in full 4k. If at least the color could be adjusted, but no, here we are in 2019 and they ignored this issue since the dark ages lol. Typical for Bioware.
A yellow micro mouse pointer within a gfx effect thunderstorm on the display (with all gfx to max), often in red/yellow/orange. Good luck on your missiobn to discover it lol, riduculous.

BTW, the char select screen is also ridiculously small in 4k though.
Nal'augh, guild master "The Conqueror Fleet" - Tulak Hord
Do you want 7 free days of subscription and other freebies? Click here!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/doubleudude

JediQuaker
06.27.2019 , 11:41 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
4k keeps things spread out. there are no quick bars, overlays, maps, etc. overlapping my character model or line of sight. it's absolutely wonderful except for the mouse cursor not scaling with everything else.
I play at 1920x1080 and I don't have any problems with quickbars or overlays overlapping my character. But that could just be a matter of "scale".
JediQuaker - The Ever Charming.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV