Why was Darth Malgus not on the dark council?

adormitul

I mean considering his influence and power especially his power considering he killed a the former Jedi Grandmaster and he survived tons of rock falling on him. Also he seems to control a very large part of the military so why was he not a council member?

Maybe the positions he could apply for were already taken? Malgus with his warrior talents suited for two spheres: Defense of the Empire and Military Offense. But the first position was occupied by Marr, who is quite good in his work.

The second one was occupied by Darth Vengean for unspecified period; I presume that Vengean took the chair before Malgus acquired enough reputation and power to make any claims for Council. After Vengean's death the position was taken by Baras, and I can assume that he prepared everything for not to be outrun by some other Sith. After Baras... well, after Baras Sith Warrior gains Illum campaign that ends with you-know-what, so I assume that by that time Malgus has already created another plan.

Another possibility is that Malgus simply didn't strive for the Council chair. Not all Sith aspire to this.

Another possibility is that Malgus simply didn't strive for the Council chair. Not all Sith aspire to this.

That's the one.

After the Sacking of Coruscant, Malgus grew disgusted and disillusioned with Sith politics. He's always viewed direct conflict as the purest expression of the Force and the way Sith better themselves so he was always more of a frontline warrior anyway. But having the Republic capital in their grasp only to let it go and sign a treaty was against everything he was and everything he believed Sith should be. So he'd be the last person to accept a Dark Council seat.

Personally I don't believe the Ilum coup hapened overnight. Likely Malgus was planning that for some time. I'd say at least for the game's duration, if not the entirety of the preceding cold war.

Oh, if only Malgus had been the Warrior's master... he's the only Sith Lord that actually merits the title in this era.

He disliked politics, and that is what Dark Council was/is. Also, having in mind of what he has done, it might be that he never saw Dark Council as something worthy to fight for its seat. Remember, he wanted to create the New Empire and be its Emperor. Yes, he could have easily take the seat in Dark Council, but he disliked what it stands for.

Remember Sacking of Coruscant. He planned every detail of that battle (even how far will shuttle glide for not to touch him :D). He enjoyed what has been accomplished but hated the aftermath. If you read the novel, you will see how much the aftermath angered him. Like...it really made him angry!

For me, he will always stay the one who was meant to lead the Empire. Too bad, Council members at that time (including Darth Marr) were too dumb too see what Malgus has seen long time ago.

If he was so great , how come in his genius plan he didn't plan to gain ally like Marr ? share his vision of this great plan and empire ? why when he made his move he was seen like a traitor ?

Better yet...if he was so great , why did he do what he did and didn't find a better way then to be branded a traitor?

Seriously....that was so lame . I for one , I don't see him as emprore . Marr would fit but I know he is better suited to lead a legion of Sith then play domino and politic .

If he was so great , how come in his genius plan he didn't plan to gain ally like Marr ? share his vision of this great plan and empire ? why when he made his move he was seen like a traitor ?

Better yet...if he was so great , why did he do what he did and didn't find a better way then to be branded a traitor?

Seriously....that was so lame . I for one , I don't see him as emprore . Marr would fit but I know he is better suited to lead a legion of Sith then play domino and politic .

Well Marr is probably the most loyal to the empire then any character we meet sorry but he will never have betrayed the sith empire and Malgus knew that so there is that.

Darth Malgus was gaining allies. Everyone who was capable warrior was welcomed to his new Empire, unlike Sith Empire where aliens had no place. Darth Marr was part of that Sith Empire. I really, really like Darth Marr, but I cannot overlook the fact that he was standing there while we were being ordered to kill Malgus just to later say how Malgus had a point. Simply put, Darth Marr was so loyal to Emperor, his loyalty blinded and killed him.

Darh Malgus did share his vision and so got disliked for his acceptance and respect for aliens. If you play trough Illum story you will see how much Grand Moff dislikes him.

Valkorion himself asks you to give up from saving Empire and not to be stupid like Marr and Malgus. The change withing Sith Empire started with Darth Malgus. Marr came after him, just like everything else. It is a bit sad, honestly. If only Marr had open his eyes sooner, Malgus and him could lead Empire to its greatness.

Many love Marr. I can see why. I do, too. But to question Malgus' greatness for not gaining Marr as an ally is not of some importance, knowing he gained affection of so many aliens who now serve within the Sith Empire.

Why is Malgus seen as a traitor? Because you are told so by Dark Council members. Do you remember the rage on Illum when they are sending you to kill him? Darth Malgus turned his back to Empire and so to Sith Emperor, the very guy who now wants to kill the people who killed Malgus in his name.

If I was given the chance to change the world, I would not search for allies within current world leaders when they are the one who destroyed it.

Was Darth Malgus perfect? No. However, he was maybe the first one who saw what is really destroying the Empire and had courage to do something about it. At the end, he did not even care will he live or die. Only thing he cared and wanted is for the Empire to be reborn. And it was.

Darth Marr was so loyal to Emperor, his loyalty blinded and killed him.

I sincerely doubt Marr was completely devoted to the Emperor, otherwise he wouldn't have turned on Vitate as quickly as he did (and I doubt Malgus knew about the Emperor's plans for wiping out life in the galaxy).

And isn't it Darth Ravage that leads the charge against Malgus, not Marr? I don't think Marr was involved in that campaign. And this video seems to corroborate that:

Was Darth Malgus perfect? No. However, he was maybe the first one who saw what is really destroying the Empire and had courage to do something about it. At the end, he did not even care will he live or die. Only thing he cared and wanted is for the Empire to be reborn. And it was.

Those who want changes create changes but rarely see it truly happen .

well thank you all for answering . :D

Oh, if only Malgus had been the Warrior's master... he's the only Sith Lord that actually merits the title in this era.

Well, Vowrawn and Marr could also be good masters for Warrior. At least they would have taught him something, I presume.

I presume that Marr was both loyal to the Empire (not necessarily to the Emperor) and practical. Malgus' declaration was equal to civil war. And in this circumstances civil war was the last thing that Empire could readily afford. So, if there was something about reformation, Marr could have agreed, but not with direct confrontation.

And that is, to my mind, explained by Malgus' character. He is a warrior and warlord. He is less of a politician then others. And if he would have gone long way, there could always be a chance of more politically-minded Lords to defeat him.

So Malgus did actually a good move. He put the conflict into battlefield - the sphere he felt quite at home at; at the same time he gave all potential supporters a direct choice that should have been made right now, without time to think it over.

It didn't work. But it could.

Well, Vowrawn and Marr could also be good masters for Warrior. At least they would have taught him something, I presume.

But then in order to rise above the rank of Lord you would have had to betray and murder your master, as is the Sith way.

Baras and Thanaton made it easy for light and dark side alike by betraying you first.

I presume that Marr was both loyal to the Empire (not necessarily to the Emperor) and practical.

In my mind there is no doubt that Marr was loyal to the Empire. After the events of Rishi/Yavin/Ziost, he clearly is not loyal to the Emperor, but before? That's not clear to me, but I doubt he would have been different. At the most, his loyalty to the Empire would have taken priority over his (possible) loyalty to the Emperor.

He was also deeply, deeply pragmatic (not necessarily the same thing as "practical") - think of the story in SoR:

When the player reprograms the AA cannon (assuming you reprogram them to fire on the Revanite ships), and contacts his side's forces, you end up with a three-way call with you, Marr, and Satele Shan. She, in her Jedi way, is as pragmatic as Marr is in his Sith way, which leads to the whole Yavin storyline. Both of them see that if they work together, they can defeat the menace of the Revanites, while rejecting that cooperation will lead to the destruction of their respective empires (small 'e', not large one).

Curiously, the only Sith I've seen whose level of pragmatism rivals Marr's is Lana. Like him, she is also loyal to the Empire, not the Emperor.

But then in order to rise above the rank of Lord you would have had to betray and murder your master, as is the Sith way.

That kind of "tradition" always seemed completely counterproductive to me. Unfortunately, I cannot elaborate here, as it's not the topic for that - this particular thing has nothing to do with Malgus.

I mean considering his influence and power especially his power considering he killed a the former Jedi Grandmaster and he survived tons of rock falling on him. Also he seems to control a very large part of the military so why was he not a council member?

He didn't want to be. Malgus despised politics, preferring direct action under all circumstances.

Malgus has hi own aganda............and it is NOT in line With the dark counsil nor the emperor.....

False emperor FP actually describe this very well

One cannot doubt this. The question is when he developed his own goals and decided to pursue them in such a way.

Darth Lachris was Marr's apprentice. She seems to have acquired a high position for herself without killing her master -- at least until

she's killed in the JC storyline.

Baras and Thanaton made it easy for light and dark side alike by betraying you first.

Zash was Inquisitor's Master, never Thanaton. You kill Zash at the end of the first chapter, who was of Darth rank.

Edited by SithKoriandr

I sincerely doubt Marr was completely devoted to the Emperor, otherwise he wouldn't have turned on Vitate as quickly as he did (and I doubt Malgus knew about the Emperor's plans for wiping out life in the galaxy).

I cannot express his loyalty in percentages, but reading trough novels, I really got impression that, even if Marr disagreed with some of Empire's rules, he still stayed loyal to Emperor, Empire and their doctrine thinking he serves the right guy. He was definitely not loyal to him during Yavin and after, but before that, I am thinking he really was. Yes, that means he loves Empire more than Emperor <3.

Look at that picture at 2:57. That is Darth Marr celebrating. Look at the guy who is on his knees. That is how Empire threats aliens. That is what Marr allowed. I felt like sharing this.

Darth Marr came to Dark Council in his early 20s. That is a lot of time spent serving someone who has been silent for years. Was that a quick turn on Emperor? I, personally, would say no. It took him many years, Emperor appearing, talking and destroying to figure it out. Some might say he needed facts. I would say that is fine, because I do not mean anything bad when I say that he was loyal. But, I might be wrong. I would not like to go into character psychology because it can be changed by one single line if writers decide so :).

I am not sure did Malgus know about Emperor's plans. I am guessing not (don't remember it being stated), but I was pointing out that it took a lot for Marr to admit that Empire has to be changed.

And isn't it Darth Ravage that leads the charge against Malgus, not Marr? I don't think Marr was involved in that campaign. And this video seems to corroborate that:

Take a look at 0:48 on that video. Who is standing at the back silently? :D Yep, that is Darth Marr lurking in the shadows. He was there but never spoke up, so someone might not notice him.

Oh, I never said Darth Marr led the attack himself. I just explained to SerraShar what I hold against Darth Marr: him standing silently while we are being ordered to kill Malgus.

p.s. I just want to point out I like Darth Marr. Hard core fans, do not take this as an assault on him. I am just sharing what I have read, saw or thought about. :p

Edited by Daex

Take a look at 0:48 on that video. Who is standing at the back silently? :D Yep, that is Darth Marr lurking in the shadows. He was there but never spoke up, so someone might not notice him.

Oh, I never said Darth Marr led the attack himself. I just explained to SerraShar what I hold against Darth Marr: him standing silently while we are being ordered to kill Malgus.

Hmm. So it appears. Of course, it could be a player with a similar armor (Marr's armor type is available as a set, yes?) but it's hard to say for sure.

That's not to say that this isn't an example of Marr's political pragmatism. Many people change their politics over time, and that's likely to have occurred over time with Marr, if he didn't harbor them initially. And with the Empire's losses at Ilum, against the Dread Masters, and especially Corellia, Marr probably saw an opportunity once he became the de-facto leader of the Empire - not to mention that integrating Malgus's attempted reforms pretty much became a necessity after all the Empire's setbacks. (There's hints, at least in the Inquisitor's prologue, that it was something of a necessity after the Treaty of Coruscant, but there were a lot of hard-liners in the way.)

As others have said, what Malgus's insurrection did was to force the Empire to reform in order to survive; and Marr was enough of a opportunist to see that.

It's a almost pity that whatever reforms Marr tried to implement were ignored or repealed after his death, leading to the Empire's eventual fall and Bane's implementation of the "Rule of Two."

Hmm. So it appears. Of course, it could be a player with a similar armor (Marr's armor type is available as a set, yes?) but it's hard to say for sure.

If it was a player, it would not be standing there. When the quest ends, you can walk towards him and see it is Darth Marr standing. I know. I've done it and tried to click on him.:)

Found the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCWhP805oVQ (see on 2:28).

That's not to say that this isn't an example of Marr's political pragmatism. Many people change their politics over time, and that's likely to have occurred over time with Marr, if he didn't harbor them initially. And with the Empire's losses at Ilum, against the Dread Masters, and especially Corellia, Marr probably saw an opportunity once he became the de-facto leader of the Empire

I agree with this, of course. Never tried to say he wasn't pragmatic and all of that. ;p

----------

Edit: I just want to know when will this happen and will it be more than a decoration and a wasted video:

http://sta.sh/0gl3ixw5ic7

and this

at 1:40

Edited by Daex

• 4 years later...

Plot convenience. I don't see either of them as an Emperor as they are both frontline guys, but based on the expansions, Marr clearly would've been on board with Malgus, as well as Darth Karrid who took over for Darth Hadra (Sphere of Technology) according to a "canon" book and was Malgus' apprentice before. The Inquisitor realistically would've also been likely to support him given that most background would be an alien slave (and would've made a better Emperor figure, potentially). But of course none of that happened because it either wasn't convenient or just couldn't be done for the game's sake (Inquisitor). But had that situation played out "realistically," there is little reason why those 4 could not have joined forces (Marr knew of the Emperor's absence by this point as well) and absolutely wrecked the current Empire. The only exception being if Malgus really wanted to be Emperor that badly (Nox might have something to say about that), but that would be out of character for him, and even in the battle with him, he seems perfectly happy sacrificing himself for his cause.

Nox, Malgus, Marr, and Karrid could've easily leveled the existing Empire and installed forward-thinking DC members, and then gone on to easily crush the Republic with a more unified and inclusive Empire. The Wrath would likely be an obstacle, but a Nox having kept his ghosts alone could have dealt with him (Ghost-keeping Nox is the most powerful playable character in the game, fight me. And fight me for necroing this thread >:D)