Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

FULL AUTO AND MORTAR VOLLEY: Blatantly Broken

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
FULL AUTO AND MORTAR VOLLEY: Blatantly Broken

Potfish
12.18.2011 , 03:40 PM | #1
Greetings,

The problem with these two abilities is their cast times. The Trooper spends so much time going through a casting animation instead of actually using the abilities whereas the Bounty Hunter does not.

For example, Mortar Volley is supposed to launch three shells over three seconds. Instead, the Trooper spends the first two seconds going through an animation and the final second launching two shells. The third shell launches after the channel time has already expired. The Bounty Hunter does not have this problem, so obviously he has an advantage especially in PvP because enemies have an additional 2-3 seconds to move from Mortar Volley as opposed to Death from Above.

In addition, Full Auto will only deal damage twice (as opposed to three times) if the Trooper suffers from pushback. This would be fine except the Bounty Hunter's Unload is not vulnerable to pushback and will always deal its full damage. Full Auto must also be channeled for at least 1.4 seconds before it begins doing any damage, whilst Unload must only be channeled for at least .8 seconds.

The following video demonstrates these imbalances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayZJfjVGkao

This should be addressed because the Bounty Hunter and Trooper are supposed to be mirrored and on even ground. The way it is now, the Bounty Hunter is simply better than the Trooper. BioWare, please take note and consider fixing these problems.

Thank you,

Potfish/Turtlemilk

Darth_Menace
12.18.2011 , 03:41 PM | #2
I agree with you 100%, I barely even use that ability now

Herbertllew
12.18.2011 , 04:10 PM | #3
Yep, but there are at least three other threads in this forum about channeled abilities not firing correctly.

BenjaminminU
12.18.2011 , 04:37 PM | #4
I agree those abilities are badly broken, its so annoying going to fire and then the enemy moves as your supposed to fire and you miss. full auto is also a pain because it only fires in the last second of the ability.
"Declaration: Assassination protocols active. Greetings, master" - HK-51

Allfearsalsa
12.18.2011 , 05:59 PM | #5
Guys, it isn't that hard:

Pulse Cannon is a Channeled spell. There is one hit after the spell is cast. Taking damage will push back the progress bar, thus delaying that hit. You will get the full effect of the attack if you are getting hit repeatedly, but the DPS (Damage per Second) will not be efficient; your DPS/Ammo will drop because of longer casting times.

Auto Fire is a Concentration spell. In this spell three hits will generate with no interference. Essentially you need a minimum time to perform each attack, that's why there is a delay for the first damage to be generated. Taking damage harms your concentration, thus it removes the total time on your casting bar and you then get less hits on the spell.

Both of these you should try to avoid using while taking damage, but especially Auto Fire.

Concentration spells are working as intended, and are prevalent in many games. A perfect example would be the Mage's Arcane Missles spell without any talents (it has been a while since I played wow, they may have changed how that spell works.

I hope this clears thing up a bit better for you guys new to this type of game. If you want the full hits in on Auto Fire, make sure you CC (Crowd Control) the target first or get the Tank to get Aggro back.

Potfish
12.18.2011 , 06:06 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Allfearsalsa View Post
Guys, it isn't that hard:

Pulse Cannon is a Channeled spell. There is one hit after the spell is cast. Taking damage will push back the progress bar, thus delaying that hit. You will get the full effect of the attack if you are getting hit repeatedly, but the DPS (Damage per Second) will not be efficient; your DPS/Ammo will drop because of longer casting times.

Auto Fire is a Concentration spell. In this spell three hits will generate with no interference. Essentially you need a minimum time to perform each attack, that's why there is a delay for the first damage to be generated. Taking damage harms your concentration, thus it removes the total time on your casting bar and you then get less hits on the spell.

Both of these you should try to avoid using while taking damage, but especially Auto Fire.

Concentration spells are working as intended, and are prevalent in many games. A perfect example would be the Mage's Arcane Missles spell without any talents (it has been a while since I played wow, they may have changed how that spell works.

I hope this clears thing up a bit better for you guys new to this type of game. If you want the full hits in on Auto Fire, make sure you CC (Crowd Control) the target first or get the Tank to get Aggro back.
No. You are wrong. The Bounty Hunter can be hit all he/she wants while channeling his version of Full Auto and will not suffer any pushback.

The Trooper being "slower" applies in several other cases as well. Even the Bounty Hunter's Rocket Punch has a much faster activation time than the Trooper's Stockstrike. Also, you can be hit all you want while channeling Pulse Cannon and all three hits will register.

I will make a video comparing several of these abilities to demonstrate this.

Allfearsalsa
12.18.2011 , 06:14 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Potfish View Post
No. You are wrong. The Bounty Hunter can be hit all he/she wants while channeling his version of Full Auto and will not suffer any pushback.

The Trooper being "slower" applies in several other cases as well. Even the Bounty Hunter's Rocket Punch has a much faster activation time than the Trooper's Stockstrike. Also, you can be hit all you want while channeling Pulse Cannon and all three hits will register.

I will make a video comparing several of these abilities to demonstrate this.
-Two separate classes. Trying to say that abilities from different classes should be the exact same because they look/name similar is foolish. You have no idea of what balancing issues BW had in mind for how these abilities work. The class is more than just the sum of one/two abilities.

-Read what I said, there is a difference between "channeled" and "concentrated." Full Auto is a concentrated spell.

Electroflux
12.18.2011 , 06:50 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Allfearsalsa View Post
-Two separate classes. Trying to say that abilities from different classes should be the exact same because they look/name similar is foolish. You have no idea of what balancing issues BW had in mind for how these abilities work. The class is more than just the sum of one/two abilities.

-Read what I said, there is a difference between "channeled" and "concentrated." Full Auto is a concentrated spell.
Can you please stop posting nonsense? Full Auto even says itself is a channeled spell, therefore it is a channeled spell. There is no disputing that and you're only making yourself look foolish.

I agree, the delay on these abilities are extremely annoying and unnecessary.

Evin
12.18.2011 , 06:51 PM | #9
Agree, the delay sucks big time.
'You have to be the change you wish to see in the world.' - Jedi Master M. Ghandi

SgtLi
12.18.2011 , 07:01 PM | #10
I know this might sound blasphemy, but i think maybe Mortar volley should either provide a ground knocked to the group or root ability or slow ability to provide Mortar volley as a valuable option for pvp. Maybe make a talent skill that provides that kind of ability.